Medical School in Spain- Returning to the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starstarie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was born and grew up in the US, and finished both high school and a BS in Biology and Spanish from US institutions. I have lived abroad on and off since 2004 and am currently living in Madrid.

I was planning to take 1-4 years off to clear my head and then enter meds school in the US. BUT the longer I´m away from the US, the less I seem to want to go back. So I have recently looked into attending med school in Spain.

I like the Spanish way of life better than that in the US. I´m not looking to make a lot of money as a doctor, and I really don´t know if I want to be overworked as doctors are in the US. But at the same time, I´m not sure I want to give up the option to live in the US ever again. There are a lot of positives about the US.

I have all the info on admissions and it shouldnt be a problem. So I was wondering if anyone had any advice or information on the logistics, etc. For example,

How difficult is it to transfer a medical degree from Spain to the US?

And the opposite: from the US to Spain/Europe?

How rigorous is the Spanish system compared to the US?

Does Spain offer the same quality of education as the US?
My personal opinion is that the US offers the best education in the world for medical school (and you definetly pay for it!!) but if other people think differently please let me know!

I work at a Spanish primary school, so I know things tend to be a lot more theoretical here. Is this true about medicine as well?

Lifestyle after schooling: I´ve heard that doctors in Spain only work from 8-3. Is that true? I´d love to hear some opinions about the lifestyle from doctors (or ppl who know doctors) in both the States and in Spain or from any who have moved from one country to the other!

Thanks a TON!!

Marianne

Members don't see this ad.

One more thing!

Does anyone know how the Bologna Process/ Plan Bolonia will change things if they will in regards to transfering degrees?

I know it will make it so that the Spanish MD degree is valid in all of Europe! But any changes as to the US?

Thanks!

Hi!

I am spanish MD. I have finished my famil medicine residency one month ago and now I am working. If you are still interested about the medical school, send me a message ([email protected]) and I will answer your questions.

Jorge