medical school or PA school???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coop35

Reaction score
Hello all, I need some advice from the community. I am 35 and changing careers as many before me have. I started this journey not knowing where I wanted to go but after some time I found a passion that I once had and had forgotten, helping people. Life got the better of me and suddenly work became about providing more than fulfillment and I ended up in something that makes me miserable and I don't want to repeat that mistake. I have done a ton of research and I know full well what I would be getting into if I choose medical school or PA school. For me personally by the time I finish my undergrad, med school, and residency I'm looking at being between 46-48 depending on which specialty I end up in during residency. If I went to PA school instead I would be about 41. I mention this because my family, is strongly suggesting PA school due to my current age and time requirements which is understandable especially from my wife's perspective since it will be on her to keep us afloat during med school or PA school, so it is also a question of financial logistics as well. Is it as simple as "follow your dreams" which in my case means med school? Or should I really look hard into the financial, emotional, and mental hardships this will bring upon my wife? For reference she tells me that either way we will make it work and she will support me in my choice. I would most likely find fulfillment in either field and I feel that I would be resonably happy as a PA, but I must admit that I feel like I would be an amazing Doctor and I feel more than capable of becoming one. I worry that if I become a PA I will feel like I could have done more or become more. Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

I started med school at 37 and it has really wreaked havoc on my personal life. We're still together, but it has been rough. I am now 44 and a PGY-3 in pathology, by far one of the less frenetic specialties, and it has still been rough. I therefore recommend you look long and hard at PA school. I'm not, you know, drowning in regrets, but I don't know that I'd do an MD if I had it to do over again, precisely because of the personal toll.

Edit: Part of this is definitely because my boyfriend has/had a low-key career (retired librarian). So of course he's sympathetic to the demands on my time, but he can't really empathize. Age itself is also part of it in that I would have been more likely to get together with another physician if I had been in med school in my 20s, prime couple-bonding time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
Hello all, I need some advice from the community. I am 35 and changing careers as many before me have. I started this journey not knowing where I wanted to go but after some time I found a passion that I once had and had forgotten, helping people. Life got the better of me and suddenly work became about providing more than fulfillment and I ended up in something that makes me miserable and I don't want to repeat that mistake. I have done a ton of research and I know full well what I would be getting into if I choose medical school or PA school. For me personally by the time I finish my undergrad, med school, and residency I'm looking at being between 46-48 depending on which specialty I end up in during residency. If I went to PA school instead I would be about 41. I mention this because my family, is strongly suggesting PA school due to my current age and time requirements which is understandable especially from my wife's perspective since it will be on her to keep us afloat during med school or PA school, so it is also a question of financial logistics as well. Is it as simple as "follow your dreams" which in my case means med school? Or should I really look hard into the financial, emotional, and mental hardships this will bring upon my wife? For reference she tells me that either way we will make it work and she will support me in my choice. I would most likely find fulfillment in either field and I feel that I would be resonably happy as a PA, but I must admit that I feel like I would be an amazing Doctor and I feel more than capable of becoming one. I worry that if I become a PA I will feel like I could have done more or become more. Please help!

Have you shadowed both a physician and a PA?

If not, start there. You really can’t make an informed decision about pursuing medicine vs. PA vs. any other field without doing a good amount of physician shadowing. Shadow a PA for a week or two as well. Talk to the physicians and PAs about their experiences and discuss your goals with them. This should help you decide the best path for you. The advice we give you here will be of limited utility if you don’t have the firsthand shadowing experience.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I started a postbacc at 35, applied at 36, and started medical school at 37. My husband and I relocated to a different state in order for me to attend medical school. Feel free to DM me if you want to hear more about how that has gone (short version - my marriage is as stable and wonderful as ever and I expect it to remain so, but certainly that is in part due to a spouse who is 100% on board with my plan, makes enough to keep us afloat, and has been promised a lifetime of whatever he wants career-wise after I'm done, in return for his sacrifice).

Regarding MD/DO vs PA, you have to first make the decision based on your personality and then back it up with logic. Me? I'm a team player and not a dominant personality, but I like to be in charge. I would HATE being a PA. When I was having this very debate with myself a few years ago, my best friend (a physician) stopped me and told me that I would never be happy as a PA and that I would never forgive myself for going down that path. When I thought about it, I realized he was right. It was physician or nothing for me. Take a moment and figure out what's going to make you the happiest (be honest with yourself and ask your friends).

If you could be happy as a PA, do that. It's shorter, it's cheaper, and you'll be out in the world earning good money before I'm even out of my residency. If you don't have the personality for PA but would be a good doctor, then you and your wife have a conversation ahead of you. It's totally doable. I am nowhere close to the only one in my class (I'm an MS2) who is 38. I'm not even the oldest. All of the older students are partnered - some have kids as well. You can do it. You can pay off those loans. But yes, your wife is going to have to be on board and prepared for your dynamic to change for a decade.

Reactions: 1 users
Have you shadowed both a physician and a PA?

If not, start there. You really can’t make an informed decision about pursuing medicine vs. PA vs. any other field without doing a good amount of physician shadowing. Shadow a PA for a week or two as well. Talk to the physicians and PAs about their experiences and discuss your goals with them. This should help you decide the best path for you. The advice we give you here will be of limited utility if you don’t have the firsthand shadowing experience.
I agree with this. I changed careers at an earlier age (upper 20s) and it’s been challenging even for my situation. Well worth it though for me.

I am certain shadowing and patient care was what got me through studying until midnight. It’s easy to want to be a doctor on paper, but a lot different when you’re actually seeing and doing things that are part of that role. In the wise words of Ronnie Coleman - “Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder — nobody wants to lift heavy ass weights” These experiences can help you see if you truly like serving others and caring for sick people, not just the idea of it. You can help people in many ways that are non-clinical.

Perhaps you have already done these exploration type activities. If so, reflection on them may help answer your question. Along with the insights of others in this thread.

Reactions: 1 user
Please do a thorough soul searching before embarking on that journey because medicine and healthcare in general is not a comedy.

Based on what you mention I’d suggest exploring deeper on why medicine, and why now, possibly with a therapist. You’ve mentioned your wife’s concern and can empathize with her position. I think you already know the answer.

Your family is right. The PA route makes substantially more sense for someone in your age group and family/financial situation.

you don't mention gpa, MCAT, or extracurriculars. unless you have a stellar app ready to go ASAP it is too late for you to go MD.

I recently left medical school. Knowing what I know now if I had to do it over again I would have gone PA.

There's no mention of current/future children in your post. Kids are a big deal and if you and your wife plan on having them, she needs to be 100% receptive of the reality that she will be a single mother during the 8+ years of your training. Assuming this box is checked off, you can handle the debt, multiple relocations, and need to be a physician instead of a PA--then you should not pursue PA.

Quoting your post though:
"I would most likely find fulfillment in either field and I feel that I would be resonably happy as a PA, but..."

This is precisely the thought train that led me down the path of physician. I ended up settling on "I must attend medical school if I'm accepted. If not accepted, then I will pursue PA school."

My wife and I are in a similar age range as you and we have a young, growing family. I've done everything I can on my part to get accepted into as many schools as possible. As to which school I attend, this will basically be my wife's decision because as you realize now, the spouse will be keeping the family together as I pursue this dream.

I would dig deeper if I were you and commit to becoming a physician or PA. There's no right or wrong, simply pro's and con's and IMO it all comes down to time on project. Doc's are forced to complete 3+ yr residencies, where they work ~80+ hrs/wk. That's the equivalent of 6+ yrs clinical experience as a 40 hr/wk PA. With 6+ years of hard work as a PA, you will be just as sharp as newly minted attending physicians (my personal opinion).

If you can get over the reality of having your medical opinion outranked as a PA then I'd say go PA. This is how things work in every other field. Those sitting at the M.S. level are outranked by their PhD peers. Does everyone need a PhD? Absolutely not.

But do you?

I would like to thank everyone for their input and advice on this thread. After much internal debate and soul searching I have decided med school is the only option for me. It is what I have wanted since the beginning (5th Grade). I have always let those around me talk me out of pursuing my goals and I have decided to no longer allow that to happen. The road will be long with many curves and bumps but I am more than capable of achieving this dream.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
I would like to thank everyone for their input and advice on this thread. After much internal debate and soul searching I have decided med school is the only option for me. It is what I have wanted since the beginning (5th Grade). I have always let those around me talk me out of pursuing my goals and I have decided to no longer allow that to happen. The road will be long with many curves and bumps but I am more than capable of achieving this dream.
Good for you! Listen to yourself. I’m a longtime PA applying to medical school this cycle. I knew I wanted to be an MD but tried to compromise and make others happy. I finally decided, I only have one life. And I want to treat my patients according to my conscience. It will be a tough journey for you but do what makes you happy.

Good luck

Good call. I’m 39 and an OMS-1. I was a PA for 7 years before I applied to med school. If you want to be a physician nothing else will do. Good luck!

If you have children, depriving them from time and money for selfish pursuit of a degree is something I would think twice about

Being a PA you have to be okay with having a permanent "handicap" so to speak. For all the propaganda the PA and NP organizations put out, the reality is you don't learn the same. You won't have comparable knowledge. Work experience doesn't make up for medical school or residency. If you can live with this or you feel this is the best compromise for your family, then that's the route to take

Personally, if you make good income and you are reasonably okay with your current profession, I would say staying put is overall the best decision. Medicine is glamorous because you're not in it. It's a job too at the end of the day

Reactions: 1 users
You made the first big decision! But now is the hard part. What is your current gpa, do you have all the pre reqs? Length of time from receiving your degree. If not, or the course work is older you will need to do a formal smp, post bacc, or DIY post bacc.
Do you have the right volunteer/ shadowing experiences to accompany the application? Shoot for the stars at the end of the day you’ll be 40, 50 either way. Just take stock of your family, friends, and constantly reassess how You and them are doing constantly. You may just end up losing them or not, it’s all up to you.