Medical school outside of the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hi
Would attending a medical school in Europe or Asia be a better(and cheaper) option to attending a school in the US?

I was also looking at medical schools in Mexico (Universidad Autonoma de Guadalajara) , but I’ve never lived or worked in another country.

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Would attending a medical school in Europe or Asia be a better(and cheaper) option to attending a school in the US?

No. There is nothing "better" about attending a foreign medical school, unless you want to practice in Europe or Asia. If you want to practice in the United States, go to medical school in the United States.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi

I was also looking at medical schools in Mexico (Universidad Autonoma de Guadalajara) , but I’ve never lived or worked in another country.

Any advice?
I am guessing you are just starting this process:

In the US, after medical school, you need to attend a in additional 3-10 years of training called residency, that's where you learn to be a particular kind of doctor, whether a Pediatrician or Neurosurgeon. You can't legally work as a doctor with at least some residency training. It's a felony.

Almost every US grad will get a residency spot, but they take most of the spots there are. Foreign grads compete for the leftovers, and there aren't enough to go around. Most foreign grads are left with a medical degree but no residency, which is basically the same as not having a degree at all.

So basically no, don't go overseas, because you won't be able to reach your goal by doing so.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi

Any advice?
Cheaper? Yes. But realistic? Nope.

If you wish to be a doctor in the US, go to a US medical school.