Medical School prerequisites after 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Zoidberg MD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I plan on taking the MCATs in 2013 and applying after graduation in 2014. Being that the 2015 MCAT is also emphasizing sociology and psychology, should I plan to take these courses as if they are prerequisites before I graduate?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I plan on taking the MCATs in 2013 and applying after graduation in 2014. Being that the 2015 MCAT is also emphasizing sociology and psychology, should I plan to take these courses as if they are prerequisites before I graduate?

You should take them regardless IMO. Don't think that you're going to take ONLY science classes in undergrad

I am taking them next semester since I am in your shoes too. By the way it's MCAT not MCATs. But IMO the best way to learn this new material is going to get the most exposure to it possible. You would be a fool not to take advantage of these classes as well as Biochem.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app please excuse punctuation and spelling

Members don't see this ad :)
SDN's two biggest pet peeves are "MCATs" and "should I spend summer before M1 reading First Aid?"

True, kind of a dumb followup but most courses I have taken so far have been science related (Bio major, chem minor). I took only an intro psych course. Would you recommend that I fit in more psych/sociology courses in the meantime?

SDN's two biggest pet peeves are "MCATs" and "should I spend summer before M1 reading First Aid?"

I cannot stand MCATs.....ugh its my only SDN pet peeve.

Hello everyone,

make up your mind, MCATs or MCAT

MCATz MCATs MCATS MCATes MCAT they're all the same. I personally hate sociology and psych classes. If it were up to me I wouldn't take any classes.

MCATz MCATs MCATS MCATes MCAT they're all the same. I personally hate sociology and psych classes. If it were up to me I wouldn't take any classes.

Great, I can see you studying for a pharm exam now.....it is close enough, don't worry about those extra letters!

MCAT = Medical College Admission Test. Since there is only 1 such exam, the 's' is never appropriate.

Great, I can see you studying for a pharm exam now.....it is close enough, don't worry about those extra letters!

MCAT = Medical College Admission Test. Since there is only 1 such exam, the 's' is never appropriate.

The 's' may never be appropriate, but it is also never a big deal. MCAT, MCATs, MCATz....it doesn't matter.

To the OP: If you are applying in 2014 then you won't have to take the new MCAT so I wouldn't take extra classes for the test unless you just want to take those classes anyway. I doubt the pre-reqs will change significantly before 2015, though keep in mind that some schools do require a significant of non-science coursework(Emory and UMich come to mind).

Will they be pre reqs or just included on the MCAT? You should take these classes though as your electives anyways