Medical School Prerequisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Future_Bone_Docta

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I had a question in regards to the humanities/ social sciences requirement by Medical Schools. So I noticed most medical schools do not require them, but some do. I was just curious if they have to be purely psychology courses? Or will other classes suffice? I took AP psychology in high school (scored a 3 so it may not qualify as most want 4+ i believe). Then I have taken two courses; one called "Social Psychology of sport", and another one called "Sport and Exercise Psychology". These two courses are all psychological heavy coursework, except they are categorized under "health science" and not "psychology". Should these three classes meet the social science requirements by some medical schools? Or should I be looking for more cookie cutter classes like abnormal psychology and sociology to take?(trying to avoid this because I will have to take it over summer and winter and pay out of pocket)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I am aware, they do not need to be purely psychology courses unless specified by the med school itself (even then, I have personally never seen that). Humanities can be anything from psychology to sociology, anthropology, art, history, and philosophy.

For your two courses, I would check around with the med schools you are interested in applying to! I would say they count as psychology courses but it's better to get a clear answer from the admissions offices themselves.

Reactions: 1 user
As far as I am aware, they do not need to be purely psychology courses unless specified by the med school itself (even then, I have personally never seen that). Humanities can be anything from psychology to sociology, anthropology, art, history, and philosophy.

For your two courses, I would check around with the med schools you are interested in applying to! I would say they count as psychology courses but it's better to get a clear answer from the admissions offices themselves.
So even history courses fit into that category? I was always under the impression it was psychology/sociology due to the fact that that material is seen on the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
So even history courses fit into that category? I was always under the impression it was psychology/sociology due to the fact that that material is seen on the MCAT.

History can count as humanities.

Of course, psychology and sociology courses are usually recommended to satisfy the humanities pre-reqs because they're tested on the MCAT, so it's like killing two birds with one stone :) But if it makes you feel better, I am actually applying this cycle and I have already confirmed with several admissions office (either through their own site or through email) that their humanities requirement can be satisfied with my history and philosophy courses.

Reactions: 1 user
History can count as humanities.

Of course, psychology and sociology courses are usually recommended to satisfy the humanities pre-reqs because they're tested on the MCAT, so it's like killing two birds with one stone :) But if it makes you feel better, I am actually applying this cycle and I have already confirmed with several admissions office (either through their own site or through email) that their humanities requirement can be satisfied with my history and philosophy courses.
Awesome! Thank you!