Medical School Prerequisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CTAATGT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the prerequisite classes for medical school (specifically those in California)? Particularly, do I need to take Biochem AND Biochem Lab? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Instructions

1. google ______ School
2. look at ______ School website
3. If nothing can be found on _____ school website, call _____ school

One year of biology, organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry, physics, and some require a year of calculus.

Every school has different requirements but those are the common ones.

Anyone feel free to correct me If I'm wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
Generally:

1 year biology (w/ lab)
1 year chem (w/ lab)
1 year organic chem (w/ lab)
1 year physics (w/ lab)
1 year English

Some schools require biochem w/ lab, some don't require the lab, and some don't require biochem at all. Some schools also require calculus and/or random classes in the humanities which will, in all likelihood, be knocked out by your gen eds.

For info on specific schools, refer to above post. If don't know what schools have med programs, Google "med schools in California."

Thanks for the help. This is what I found for UCLA:

"Premedical Education: Ordinarily a bachelor's degree is required for admission, but in certain instances students who have completed three full academic years at an accredited college or university might be accepted. College years should be devoted to obtaining as broad an education as possible. The major objectives should be the following: (1) competence in English, written and spoken; (2) capacity for quantitative thinking, represented by mastery of mathematics, science and scientific method; (3) a foundation for an ever-increasing insight in human behavior, thought and aspiration, through study of man and his society, as revealed by the social sciences and the humanities.
Prerequisites

The admission requirements are satisfied by the following courses:
ENGLISH One year of college English to include the study of English composition PHYSICS One year of college Physics (with lab) CHEMISTRY Two years of college chemistry to include the study of inorganic chemistry, quantitative analysis and organic chemistry (with lab) BIOLOGY One year of general biology (with lab) MATHEMATICS One year of college mathematics to include the study of introductory calculus and statistics SPANISH Highly recommended HUMANITIES Highly recommended COMPUTER SKILLS Highly recommended In the time not occupied by the required courses, students should pursue studies in the social sciences and humanities.
Courses overlapping in subject matter (e.g. human anatomy) with those in the school of medicine are not recommended. However, basic or advanced courses in biological science (e.g. cellular physiology) are desirable. "

Although this pertains to UCLA, it should serve as a standard guideline for most medical schools.

"Premedical Education: Ordinarily a bachelor's degree is required for admission, but in certain instances students who have completed three full academic years at an accredited college or university might be accepted. College years should be devoted to obtaining as broad an education as possible. The major objectives should be the following: (1) competence in English, written and spoken; (2) capacity for quantitative thinking, represented by mastery of mathematics, science and scientific method; (3) a foundation for an ever-increasing insight in human behavior, thought and aspiration, through study of man and his society, as revealed by the social sciences and the humanities.
Prerequisites

ENGLISH One year of college English to include the study of English composition PHYSICS One year of college Physics (with lab) CHEMISTRY Two years of college chemistry to include the study of inorganic chemistry, quantitative analysis and organic chemistry (with lab) BIOLOGY One year of general biology (with lab) MATHEMATICS One year of college mathematics to include the study of introductory calculus and statistics SPANISH Highly recommended HUMANITIES Highly recommended COMPUTER SKILLS Highly recommended In the time not occupied by the required courses, students should pursue studies in the social sciences and humanities.
Courses overlapping in subject matter (e.g. human anatomy) with those in the school of medicine are not recommended. However, basic or advanced courses in biological science (e.g. cellular physiology) are desirable. "

Although this pertains to UCLA, it should serve as a standard guideline for most medical schools.

Never assume this to be true.. Check with every school you think you MIGHT apply to.. If it were me I don't want to apply to school B and waste the money only to find out I need 8 semesters hours of blank not just 4..

ALWAYS CHECK

Prerequisites

Special emphasis on this; One of their secondary questions asks specifically if you've taken Spanish [it's right between physics and organic chemistry :)]

Spanish at UCLA.. No way! LA has a very small hispanic population..