Medical School Questions??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

popo1234

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I am new to this site and this question is a little broad so I thought I would go ahead and post it.

I am about to enter my sophomore year of Undergrad. Throughout high school, I always thought I wanted to do engineering, and thus in my freshman year I took classes toward that and have even planned my summer like that. However, now after reading some articles and witnessing an incident in which I got to see a doctor work up close, I think I might have a mind change to be a doctor. I think I want to go into surgery, because that is what really intrigues me. (Also, first year engineering was not too appealing to me either)

I have already completed Chemistry I and Physics I, but I was going to finish Chemistry II and Physics II at a local community college this summer to get them out of the way for engineering. However, now that I may be a pre-med, I have heard varying opinions on whether community college classes are detrimental to a med school application. What are your opinions? I really want some good insight on this. (If I did go pre-med, I would mostly do the chemistry major, and I would take many more chemistry classes, but physics at my school is horrible and I dislike it a lot so that would be to get it out of the way)

Also, I want some general advice on whether I should make this switch. If possible, please tell me more about the med school application process and residency, and the process towards becoming a surgeon. In addition, any other advice on course planning and the MCAT would be appreciated too.

Lastly, what should I do over the summers during undergrad. Again, for engineering it would have been internships, but for pre med I understand there are a lot of options.

Thank you very much for reading this and look forward to hearing back.

Members don't see this ad.

I have already completed Chemistry I and Physics I, but I was going to finish Chemistry II and Physics II at a local community college this summer to get them out of the way for engineering. However, now that I may be a pre-med, I have heard varying opinions on whether community college classes are detrimental to a med school application. What are your opinions? I really want some good insight on this. (If I did go pre-med, I would mostly do the chemistry major, and I would take many more chemistry classes, but physics at my school is horrible and I dislike it a lot so that would be to get it out of the way)
My advice would be to take it at your 4 year college. CC classes are okay, but a lot of adcoms say medical school prereqs ought to be taken at your 4 year college. In my experience, engineering degrees are much more demanding than something like chemistry. I don't think you should have a problem fitting it in to your schedule during the normal semester.

Also, I want some general advice on whether I should make this switch. If possible, please tell me more about the med school application process and residency, and the process towards becoming a surgeon. In addition, any other advice on course planning and the MCAT would be appreciated too.
First and foremost, shadow a doctor. In fact, shadow multiple doctors. Shadow in a primary care (family, peds, internal, ob/gyn) and go ahead and shadow a surgeon too if you're interested. This should be the first thing you do before deciding anything. See if you like the work. Ask the doctors some thoughtful questions that will give you some better insight. I also suggest really reading up on what medical school is like and what it requires to get there (it ain't your average grad school). Don't think about the MCAT until you are firmly on the path.

Lastly, what should I do over the summers during undergrad. Again, for engineering it would have been internships, but for pre med I understand there are a lot of options.
Shadowing first. Clinical volunteering if you like shadowing. Other options that are also important: non-clinical volunteering, service to others less fortunate than yourself, working with underserved populations, clinical research, laboratory research, exposure to patients, work experiences, and leadership experiences.

Imagine that....actually going to the website of medical schools and seeing what they have to say on various admissions things!

There are some medical schools that directly speak to this idea of community college courses. This may give a little better insight in how the underlying “culture” or “attitude” of admission committee members, whether a formal policy or not, may perceive applicants who choose summer or community college coursework. While this list is not exhaustive, it is representative enough to help advise students who are considering such a step.

SUNY Upstate College of Medicine
Frequently Asked Questions | College of Medicine | SUNY Upstate Medical University
“Applicants should avoid taking more than one or two prerequisite science courses during the summer and avoid taking them at community colleges.”

Ichan School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
Medical Program Admissions Requirements | Icahn School of Medicine
Q: Can I take my courses at a community college, or must I take them at a four-year college or university?
A: We have no requirement about where you take courses, though the Committee on Admissions does take that into consideration in evaluating your application.

Johns Hopkins Medical School
Prerequisites and Requirements| Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine M.D. Admissions
The School of Medicine accepts prerequisites completed at the community college level. In order to be competitive in the selection process, we encourage prospective applicants with community college prerequisites to supplement these courses by taking advanced courses in related subjects at their four year institution.

University of Florida College of Medicine
FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions » Medical Admissions » College of Medicine » University of Florida
Q: Can I take the prerequisite courses at my local community/junior college?
A: In order to create the most academically competitive application you should take all prerequisite courses at the most competitive bachelor’s degree granting institution where you can gain entrance. You should try to complete your pre-requisite courses at a four-year institution

Albert Einstein College of Medicine
https://www.einstein.yu.edu/educati...pplication-procedure/course-requirements.aspx
Whereas course work at a four-year college or university is our benchmark, if a student chooses to meet a competency component via an alternate route such as through laboratory experience, through an advanced placement course, a course taken at a community college, a course taken abroad (during a semester abroad for which the undergraduate U.S. degree-granting institution gives credit, or for which AMCAS will verify and report the grade), or an online course, he or she should seek guidance from his or her advisor to ensure that the option meets the above guidelines as well as the rigorous academic standard required by the Albert Einstein College of Medicine.

George Washington University
M.D. Program Frequently Asked Questions | The School of Medicine & Health Sciences | The George Washington University
Do you accept community college credits?
Yes. The Committee on Admissions does accept coursework taken at a community college; however, it is preferable to have the pre-medical coursework taken at a four-year college or university.

Florida State University College of Medicine
http://med.fsu.edu/?page=mdAdmissions.admissionRequirement
Listed below is the pre-requisite coursework required for all matriculates to the FSU COM. Advanced Placement, CLEP, and dual enrollment credits fulfill the course requirements. However, courses taken in a traditional classroom at a four-year institution are considered to be more academically competitive.

Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
Requirements | Lewis Katz School of Medicine
Two pre-requisite science courses can be fulfilled with AP credits, community college courses or through a study abroad program.

Texas A&M Health Sciences Center College of Medicine
How Do I Apply?
Policy on AP Credits, Credits by Exam, and Dual Credit
We generally prefer that applicants take the prerequisite courses at 4-year accredited colleges and universities rather than utilize advanced placement credits, credits by exam, dual-credit, pass/fail course work or community college courses. We do not dismiss these credits; and, if they have been taken, we will accept them toward meeting the prerequisites. In fact, if an applicant has placed out of a required level course, we will also accept another course in that discipline at the same or higher level. Again, our preference is that applicants take graded courses at 4-year institutions, particularly the prerequisites in the biological sciences and the chemistry series.

Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/admissions/md/faq/#q43
Are community college classes accepted as prerequisite course credit?
They may be, but the Admissions Committee generally expects students to complete all prerequisite courses at a four-year undergraduate institution.

Yale
https://medicine.yale.edu/education/admissions/apply/premed.aspx
Pre-medical courses must be completed in a U.S., U.K., or Canadian college or university. U.S. Community College courses are acceptable, provided that the courses include laboratory work and are comparable in content to courses at four-year colleges, universities, or institutes of technology.

Weill Cornell
Medical Education at Weill Medical College of Cornell University | About Us
Can I take my prerequisite courses at a Community College?
It is not recommended.

Reactions: 1 user