MD Medical School Rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sampete55

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do I find out which tier they belong too? Can someone please post a few mid-tiers in Midwest?

Members don't see this ad.

Med schools are not generally defined by "Tiers," like Law Schools are. It's a better idea to define them by their selectivity. Here on SDN most use a calculation called the Lizzy M score [(cGPA X 10) + MCAT score]. One compares one's own number to those of various schools to decide if one is likely to be offered an interview by a given institution. Your number is a 69.

Here are some old calculations I did for a previous cycle. The parentheses are % of matruiculants from out of state.:

69/Loma Linda (49%), Loyola (55%), RFU (53%), UKentucky (30%), Creighton (89%), Albany (62%), SUNY Downstate (18%), Hofstra (new), Jefferson (60%), MCW (56%)

68/UIllinois (27%), Wayne (17%), Buffalo (29%), Toledo (34%), Drexel (71%), Temple (52%), Vermont (72%), VCU (44%), Virginia Tech Carilion (new), Nebraska (17%), Arizona (25%),

67/GWU (96%), FIU (21%), Louisville (25%), Tulane (83%), UNevada (24% from region and [W]WAMI), NYMC (67%), MUSC (22%), EVMS (39%), LSU-NO (22%), FAU (15%),

66/Rush (19%), Michigan State (26%), Oakland (new), Wright (24%)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I thought it was based on USNWR, with top tier being top-25, mid-tier 25-50, and low tier being the unranked schools.

Med schools are not generally defined by "Tiers," like Law Schools are. It's a better idea to define them by their selectivity. Here on SDN most use a calculation called the Lizzy M score [(cGPA X 10) + MCAT score]. One compares one's own number to those of various schools to decide if one is likely to be offered an interview by a given institution. Your number is a 69.

Here are some old calculations I did for a previous cycle. The parentheses are % of matruiculants from out of state.:

69/Loma Linda (49%), Loyola (55%), RFU (53%), UKentucky (30%), Creighton (89%), Albany (62%), SUNY Downstate (18%), Hofstra (new), Jefferson (60%), MCW (56%)

68/UIllinois (27%), Wayne (17%), Buffalo (29%), Toledo (34%), Drexel (71%), Temple (52%), Vermont (72%), VCU (44%), Virginia Tech Carilion (new), Nebraska (17%), Arizona (25%),

67/GWU (96%), FIU (21%), Louisville (25%), Tulane (83%), UNevada (24% from region and [W]WAMI), NYMC (67%), MUSC (22%), EVMS (39%), LSU-NO (22%), FAU (15%),

66/Rush (19%), Michigan State (26%), Oakland (new), Wright (24%)
Thanks! Do you think a score of 69 gives me a good chance of acceptance at MD school in general?

Thanks! Do you think a score of 69 gives me a good chance of acceptance at MD school in general?
Your numbers get you noticed. Your ECs and LORs get you interviews if they are in accord with a school's mission. Your interview skills seal the deal and get you acceptances.

I'd say yes, you have a decent chance of interviews based on your ECs mentioned elsewhere (if they include active clinical experience with sick people) and upward grade trend (if maintained). Do you think you'll interview well?

Your numbers get you noticed. Your ECs and LORs get you interviews if they are in accord with a school's mission. Your interview skills seal the deal and get you acceptances.

I'd say yes, you have a decent chance of interviews based on your ECs mentioned elsewhere (if they include active clinical experience with sick people) and upward grade trend (if maintained). Do you think you'll interview well?
I wanna say so. My biggest concern is my low GPA.