4 waitlists...letter of intent? Should ranking matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

another.premed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN, I'm currently sitting on 4 waitlists (no acceptances) and I was wondering if it would be wise to send a letter of intent to increase my chances, even though I'm not completely sure about which school I DEFINITELY want to go to.

I'd be very grateful to go to any medical school but I also feel hesitant to limit my choices (including financially), but I also don't want to risk not getting in anywhere because I didn't send a letter of intent.

The schools I was waitlisted at are: Jefferson (HPWL), Temple, WashU, and NYU. I am struggling because there is an obvious gap in ranking/prestige (I know rankings shouldn't matter that much but it's hard to get over). The school that gave me the best feeling was Jefferson (WashU seemed really intense, NYU didn't stand out, and Temple gave me a negative impression) and I think I would have the best chances getting in there, especially if I sent a letter of intent. But I can't ignore that WashU is top 10 (but a TOTAL stretch for me) and NYU is also really highly ranked. Surely the rankings mean something?

Please help!! What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi SDN, I'm currently sitting on 4 waitlists (no acceptances) and I was wondering if it would be wise to send a letter of intent to increase my chances, even though I'm not completely sure about which school I DEFINITELY want to go to.

I'd be very grateful to go to any medical school but I also feel hesitant to limit my choices (including financially), but I also don't want to risk not getting in anywhere because I didn't send a letter of intent.

The schools I was waitlisted at are: Jefferson (HPWL), Temple, WashU, and NYU. I am struggling because there is an obvious gap in ranking/prestige (I know rankings shouldn't matter that much but it's hard to get over). The school that gave me the best feeling was Jefferson (WashU seemed really intense, NYU didn't stand out, and Temple gave me a negative impression) and I think I would have the best chances getting in there, especially if I sent a letter of intent. But I can't ignore that WashU is top 10 (but a TOTAL stretch for me) and NYU is also really highly ranked. Surely the rankings mean something?

ysa I would...letter of intent to Jefferson...interest letters to the rest. continue showing interest to Jefferson. trust me others are doing it.

If you are a praying kind of person, start praying you get in someplace. In the meantime do a search about LOIs and the fact they really do nothing to help you. You should also decide if Temple is the only place you are pulled from the wait list will you attend. If the answer is a firm NO you probably should withdraw now. That way you'll only be a reapplicant and not a reapplicant who declined an offer.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you are a praying kind of person, start praying you get in someplace. In the meantime do a search about LOIs and the fact they really do nothing to help you. You should also decide if Temple is the only place you are pulled from the wait list will you attend. If the answer is a firm NO you probably should withdraw now. That way you'll only be a reapplicant and not a reapplicant who declined an offer.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Letter of intent actually works for some schools not all....

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Exactly how would YOU interpret a non-binding contract from a desperate applicant?

"Dear Admissions Dean, I was waitlisted by Wash U, but I really, really want to go to your school?!!"

Do really realize how foolish you're going to look?

Rankings mean something when you have four accepts.

Four wait lists say to work on your interview skills.

Call and ask the school they know best. Also look at past threads maybe someone has mentioned what worked in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile