Medical School Scholarships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EndSong

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone aware of any source of medical school scholarships besides Jack Kent Cooke (which is hypercompetitive) and institutional scholarships? If so, could you please list them.

Members don't see this ad.

I too would be interested in this, as I'm not really looking to be a rural GP or go into the army...

Your best bet is through institutional scholarships. Most schools have a few general scholarships that they use to recruit stellar applicants. The award amounts can vary significantly, from a grand or two a year to full tuition + stipend. Call your school's financial aid office and ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, check if your state congressmen have scholarships to give. Though, these tend to only be for your in-state public institutions.

Check around for scholarships based on your ethnicity/heritage...most of them are for undergrads, but I found one that also gave money to grad students if you fell under their age/ancestry criteria. This one was for a European nationality, so it's worth checking out even if you're white.

Is anyone aware of any source of medical school scholarships besides Jack Kent Cooke (which is hypercompetitive) and institutional scholarships? If so, could you please list them.

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. My school's scholarship coordinator told me that I have a qualified application for Jack Kent Cooke, especially because of my financial situation. However, based on the fact that I have been WAY too busy going around for interviews and I have SO many hard classes (My last semester) I never got a chance to work on those essays really well. The application has about 9 essays, and they are all relatively serious questions. In other words, you cannot spend 20 minutes on each and expect to win it. In addition, the scholarship is not just for med students; in fact, most of the winners have been in other fields. So I thought I probably have pretty much no chance of winning it.

Now, I have a friend who is working very hard on this application and is trying to go to medical school too. I really don't know what the chances of winning this scholarship is.

I guess I have to hope to qualify for financial aid ( I probably do based on FAFSA) or other small scholarships that you guys are talking about. :idea:

By the way, do you guys know how much financial aid (not loans) are out there that we do not have to pay back? I am talking about grants.