Medical School Selector Spreadsheet Location

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

datcnguyen

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows where the spreadsheet is where is has LizzyM's score and where you input your MCAT score and it gives you what chances to make it into a certain school ( High chance, Go for it, etc.)? I have been trying to find it, but I can't seem to locate it. Can someone please direct me to the link? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just out of curiosity, why has such a helpful resource been taken down?

because it was copyrighted data from the MSAR.

Is this thing for real? Because 2/3 of the schools say safety on them.

Is this thing for real? Because 2/3 of the schools say safety on them.

It's only reliable from a raw stats point of view (i.e. GPA, MCAT, and residency). Based on those factors alone 2/3 of your schools may be safeties. As we all know, however, the admissions process looks far beyond those numbers in making decisions.

It's only reliable from a raw stats point of view (i.e. GPA, MCAT, and residency). Based on those factors alone 2/3 of your schools may be safeties. As we all know, however, the admissions process looks far beyond those numbers in making decisions.

1) The final spreadsheet version (anything v2.0+) did far more than just the high chance/reach, etc. thing. You shouldn't be getting safeties on 2/3 of schools. Even w/ a 4.0/36, only 18 schools come up as safeties (assuming average experience values). If you max out the experience values (i.e., perfect scores on everything, including URM) and have a 4.0/36, you end up with about 80 out of 127 schools or 63%. Which is probably quite true. If you had perfect ECs AND a 4.0/36, you would be a match at all of the top schools. Your mileage may vary, of course (and these values do depend upon your state of residence as well...).

2) Seriously guys...let's either let this spreadsheet die or go through and do the research ourselves to get data ourselves so that we're legally in the clear. If the AAMC feels this is violating their copyright, we shouldn't be distributing it unless we can prove it does not violate their copyright in any way.

I didn't realize there was a newer version of the spreadsheet, never saw that before.

As for your #2, speak for yourself. I don't think distributing average GPAs and MCAT scores infringes on their copyright, especially considering other sources state that information as well. Just because a company or organization says it violates a copyright, doesn't mean they actually are legally right. The burden of proof lies on them, not us, and as far as I'm concerned, this isn't being used for profit so they should get over it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't realize there was a newer version of the spreadsheet, never saw that before.

As for your #2, speak for yourself. I don't think distributing average GPAs and MCAT scores infringes on their copyright, especially considering other sources state that information as well. Just because a company or organization says it violates a copyright, doesn't mean they actually are legally right. The burden of proof lies on them, not us, and as far as I'm concerned, this isn't being used for profit so they should get over it.

clap.gif

Tis a great file that should be shared with all who seek to possess its power

Not able to download. :( says decompression failed.

I did register... but when you download.. its not asking for password.

1) The final spreadsheet version (anything v2.0+) did far more than just the high chance/reach, etc. thing. You shouldn't be getting safeties on 2/3 of schools. Even w/ a 4.0/36, only 18 schools come up as safeties (assuming average experience values). If you max out the experience values (i.e., perfect scores on everything, including URM) and have a 4.0/36, you end up with about 80 out of 127 schools or 63%. Which is probably quite true. If you had perfect ECs AND a 4.0/36, you would be a match at all of the top schools. Your mileage may vary, of course (and these values do depend upon your state of residence as well...).

2) Seriously guys...let's either let this spreadsheet die or go through and do the research ourselves to get data ourselves so that we're legally in the clear. If the AAMC feels this is violating their copyright, we shouldn't be distributing it unless we can prove it does not violate their copyright in any way.

I wouldn't be against this instead of always having this mysterious search for the forbidden spreadsheet. Everyone just pick 2-3 schools and look up their average GPA/mcat, etc from their websites and stuff. We could use information from USnews and other stuff.

Can you at least tell us what the headers were / should be? I can't remember and I lost my copy when my computer crashed.

Can you at least tell us what the headers were / should be? I can't remember and I lost my copy when my computer crashed.

The headers for what?
That spreadsheet is huge... "the headers" is a little ambiguous...

I found it three days ago by spending maybe a minute with Google. It probably took me about as long to type out this post as to find the spreadsheet.

I wouldn't be against this instead of always having this mysterious search for the forbidden spreadsheet. Everyone just pick 2-3 schools and look up their average GPA/mcat, etc from their websites and stuff. We could use information from USnews and other stuff.

I would be down for this

I would be down for this

Alright then. I got the ball rolling (set up the format and knocked off the first 20 schools). If anyone would like to start chipping away at this table we can make it the "legitimate, free, SDN matriculant data spreadsheet."

If you decide to help by adding some data, PLEASE make sure it is SOLELY from free online resources that are not copyright protected so that this spreadsheet may remain readily available to SDN members.

For those of you who will just pay for an online resource (which is probably best) here is a tip for those of you who may not know...
- MSAR reports data for ACCEPTED applicants
- US News reports data for MATRICULANTS

Attachments

• Med School Matriculants Data.xls
    75 KB · Views: 325
I found it three days ago by spending maybe a minute with Google. It probably took me about as long to type out this post as to find the spreadsheet.

:thumbup:

I got the ball rolling (set up the format and knocked off the first 20 schools). If anyone would like to start chipping away at this table we can make it the "legitimate, free, SDN matriculant data spreadsheet."

If you decide to help by adding some data, PLEASE make sure it is SOLELY from free online resources that are not copyright protected so that this spreadsheet may remain readily available to SDN members.

For those of you who will just pay for an online resource (which is probably best) here is a tip for those of you who may not know...
- MSAR reports data for ACCEPTED applicants
- US News reports data for MATRICULANTS
Great idea, guys. This initiative might get more attention if you start a new thread with a title that will attract the attention of more premeds (like what you put in quotes above, aSagacious). Many may already have gotten similar data from school websites. Additionally, you might ask each participant to link to the source of their data to legitimate it.

If it is possible to put the data directly into the grid, give directions for how to do so. If not, state your willingness to insert the data after it's posted. (Or something like that.)

Last edited:
I'll chip in, I put in what I can find for Texas schools, link to data is attached to the end of the row.