Medical School Supplies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elderjack21

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I few months back I came across a company that sells stethoscopes, white coats, etc to medical students at HPSP rates and throws in a few extras as well. Now I can’t seem to find the link again.

Does this sound familiar to anyone else? If so, could someone please post a link to their website?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think the site is Steeles.com. I had good experiences with them when I was a med student.

i bought everything i could get reimbursed for whether i needed it or not, then sold what i didn't use at a discount rate to classmates.

of course, this was before the new stipend and lump sum. :mad:

worked well with some books and some equipment that i'd never use anyway.

--your friendly neighborhood business-minded caveman

Members don't see this ad :)
i bought everything i could get reimbursed for whether i needed it or not, then sold what i didn't use at a discount rate to classmates.

of course, this was before the new stipend and lump sum. :mad:

worked well with some books and some equipment that i'd never use anyway.

--your friendly neighborhood business-minded caveman

I didn't plan on purchasing all the books before I took the HPSP, but now I am along those lines as well, buy all I can get reimbursed for, and trade/sell the stuff I don't need for review books and such that HPSP won't pay for.

Do you have to wait until school starts to purchase the things you need, or can you buy stuff a little early.

Last edited:
I didn't plan on purchasing all the books before I took the HPSP, but now I am along those lines as well, buy all I can get reimbursed for, and trade/sell the stuff I don't need for review books and such that HPSP won't pay for.

Do you have to wait until school starts to purchase the things you need, or can you guy stuff a little early.

as soon as i got the required book/supply list, i bought it, copied receipts, and sent it in for reimbur$ement.

--your friendly neighborhood secretary skillz caveman

Do you have to wait until school starts to purchase the things you need, or can you buy stuff a little early.

Just found my answer in the HPSP handbook

"Full reimbursement. Students who intially enter the program at the beginning of the academic school year are eligible for full reimbursement of all required and authorized education expenses and purchases made up to 45 days before the entitlement start date."

Ok, so how exactly does it work. I have bought all of my books and supplies from former students so I have gotten a heck of a deal for them all, I guess I was under the impression that I was going to be given a lump sum for the amount that my school has listed in the cost of attendence under books and supplies? That way I thought, if I got a good deal on my books I would have the left over money that I didn't use?

Also, do they give re-imbursement for things like computers, especially if it is in your schools cost of attendence?

Ok, so how exactly does it work. I have bought all of my books and supplies from former students so I have gotten a heck of a deal for them all, I guess I was under the impression that I was going to be given a lump sum for the amount that my school has listed in the cost of attendence under books and supplies? That way I thought, if I got a good deal on my books I would have the left over money that I didn't use?

Also, do they give re-imbursement for things like computers, especially if it is in your schools cost of attendence?

When you get access to AFIT, there is a whole section dedicated to these policies.

To get reimbursed, you have to send a syllabus/paper indicating requirement as well as a receipt. Also, you are limited in how much you can spend on certain items. According to AFIT, purchasing a computer is not a reimbursable expense.

You can be reimbursed for anything that you buy within 2 months of your school's first day. I asked specifically because my health insurance is going to lapse and I asked if I could pay before school started and they said it would be ok as long as it's within that timeframe.

As long as you bring a trapper keeper, and a large eraser, you should be fine.

So how do we get the school to pay for a computer if we have the HPSP? Does the computer have to be required by the school in order to be reimbursed for it?

Thanks

I think that when I went through this last year, HPSP would only pay to LEASE a computer, not own. It can't even be rent-to-own. Plus, that's only if your school requires it.

As for the guy who bought his books from other people, HPSP is only going to reimburse you what it says on your receipts (so I hope you got them). They don't look at the cost of attendance and reimburse from there. They're not going to pay you any more than you paid for them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that when I went through this last year, HPSP would only pay to LEASE a computer, not own. It can't even be rent-to-own. Plus, that's only if your school requires it.

That is correct, you can rent a computer and HPSP will pay for it. The great thing about that is...you would need a new computer after 4 years anyway.

Thanks for sharing that! :thumbup:
Eh, guess I'll forgo that idea then. I just got a brand new computer, Apple replaced my two year old computer for a brand new one when mine broke last month. Would have been nice to have uncle sam pay for a new one so I could sell it and keep the cash. Oh well.

Does the HPSP pay for software? I need to buy office and I'd like to save a few dollars on that.

Does the HPSP pay for software? I need to buy office and I'd like to save a few dollars on that.

I am pretty sure that I read in the handbook yesterday that they do not pay for software. However, if it is something required for class...maybe you can get it covered.

I am pretty sure that I read in the handbook yesterday that they do not pay for software. However, if it is something required for class...maybe you can get it covered.

We are REQUIRED to have microsoft office at LECOM, it is even on the required books and supplies list, so I would think we could make a good arguement for it

We are REQUIRED to have microsoft office at LECOM, it is even on the required books and supplies list, so I would think we could make a good arguement for it

Software can be covered. It is the hardware that cannot. If your school says you gotta have MS Office, it will be covered.

Software can be covered. It is the hardware that cannot. If your school says you gotta have MS Office, it will be covered.

great thanks