medical school transfer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

evelyn

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to learn more information on medical school transfers. I go to med school on the east coast but my fiance lives in California. I know that one school in california accepts transfers but does anyone know what my chances are? would you recommend transferring to another school during my medical education?

Members don't see this ad.

AMSA's "New Physician" magazine did an article on transferring sometime last year (sorry I can't be more specific). I think the gist of the article was that it was extremely difficult to do. In the year before the article was published 4-5 people in the entire country were able to transfer. They said that you have to work with your Dean of Student Affairs and the Dean at the school you wish to transfer to.
Hope that helps.

There is an old racetrack saying that if you want to know if a horse is a going to win a race, go to the horse's mouth.
Ask your own med school, if you haven't already done so, about a transfer in.
Ask the California med school the same question.

Med schools take very few transfers, if any, but are more likely to do so for the reason you have. Transfers into first and second year are rarer than tranfers into year III.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you are not a california resident you have a better chance of skipping med school and going staight into a thoracic surg residency at the mayo clinic...sorry but UCSF is like a fort and it is pretty nice compared to other UC schools

hi mikeS78
can clarify your last message? by the way i am a california resident. i just go to school on the east coast.

I too would like to transfer. I am currently in a school in PA and would like to transfer to U of MD because that is where I am from, I like the area much better and I want to live there and do my residency there and eventually get a job there but I can't figure out what reason to give that would actually allow me to get the transfer? I am a second year and would like to transfer for 3rd and 4th year. Any suggestions? I don't want to get on bad terms with my school so I am afraid to ask them about transfers in case I can't get one. Thanks!

Transferring is very rare and the reason has to be a family issue. Moreover your spouse/partner has to be working/studying in the medical school you want to transfer in. I mean HMS isn't going to accept your transfer request just because you are marrying the cashier of their bookstore.

Transfers are not as impossible as people seem to make it. I know of several people that have transferred to other schools....one just this year. It takes some work and alot of phone calls between your school and the other school and you usually need a recommendation from dean of academic affairs along with a compelling issue. Family issues are good reasons and some schools will consider financial hardship as a reason if going from private to your state school. You have to start laying ground work early and have your info and paperwork ready and then make sure to contact the school as the end of the year comes to see if they lost people for academic reasons or personal reasons beacuse they want to fill those spots if they can. You usually only have one chance to transfer that being after MS-2 unless some really srange situation occurs.

Crap, I'm not gonna be able to go back to Cali unless I do really good on the boards and match really really well, am I?

You need a "compelling reason" - this is almost always a familial one. One's spouse does not HAVE to be in the medical school or a house officer at the university's hospital, though this is usually the written policy.

You need to be an excellent candidate - better than the average student at the school to which you're applying for transfer credit. Really, it helps to be stellar.

Those are the written rules in at least 6 schools in the NE USA, and I suspect most others with few variations.

What you really need is the above plus an advocate at the school to which you wish to transfer. Unfortunately, it is a very uphill battle and you will need to plan in advance and work your a$$ off.

It can happen, though (even with some variation to the above). This I know. ;)

P

Originally posted by summertime02
I too would like to transfer. I am currently in a school in PA and would like to transfer to U of MD because that is where I am from, I like the area much better and I want to live there and do my residency there and eventually get a job there but I can't figure out what reason to give that would actually allow me to get the transfer? I am a second year and would like to transfer for 3rd and 4th year. Any suggestions? I don't want to get on bad terms with my school so I am afraid to ask them about transfers in case I can't get one. Thanks!

You can still go to U of MD or any of the other teaching hospitals in Baltimore for your residency. Although MD would give some preference to its own students for residency, you can still get in...having the ties to the area would be good to mention when you get around to doing interviews for spots. You really don't have that much time left in school (3 years can go by really fast) and really, schools just don't like to take transfers unless you have some special circumstances.

from stanford's website:

In order to be considered for transfer into the medical school at Stanford University, students must meet all the following criteria:

1. Must be married to, or be the domestic partner of, a Stanford medical student or graduate student, a Stanford housestaff officer, or a Stanford faculty member, in the School of Medicine.

2. Must be transferring from an LCME accredited school.

3. Must have the written approval and support of the Dean of the transferring institution.

4. Must have passed step 1 of the USMLE licensing exam if transferring in as a clinical student.

Students who believe they meet the above criteria should submit a letter to the Associate Dean of Admissions stating the reason for the requested transfer. Any student requesting to transfer in their 2nd or 3rd clinical year will be considered only for acceptance as a Visiting Student. No more than 4 transfer students will be accepted in any academic year.

Applicants from other medical schools An applicant who is currently attending or has attended another medical school will be considered under transfer policy only. Applicants must submit a letter from the dean of that school attesting to the student's good academic standing. No applicant who has discontinued studies in another medical school for reasons of academic failure will be accepted at Stanford. Applicants from other medical schools must register for 13 quarters of tuition in order to earn the M.D. degree. A student is eligible for consideration to transfer in from another medical school only if s/he is a spouse or a domestic partner of either a student, house officer, or faculty member at the Stanford University School of Medicine.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents; I recently transferred into my 3rd year at USC and it was primarily because my fiancee was in CA. However, it was also important to me that USC students get very good training, and I expressed that to the school as a separate reason for wanting to continue my medical education there. It's not as complicated or involved as some of the posts make it sound, you really only fill out an application and get a letter of good standing from your dean. I don't know if anyone truly knows what it takes to transfer, but nothing will happen until you get your USMLE scores back and report them to the school. I took mine relatively early, did well, and yet I still have little insight into what score you need, etc, in order for it to happen.

In a nutshell: your fiance is in CA and there is a possibility for you to transfer and be with him, so don't don't spend too much time worrying and just go for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your input JasonK. Unfortunately, since the OP's message was sent nearly 3 years ago, she is probably far beyond our help.

I'm glad you were able to successfully arrange a transfer - however, many schools DO place several restrictions on this and make it a lot harder than submitting an application and letter of good standing from one's Dean.

I have acceptance offer from a school in rural Illinois right now, but want to avoid being 280k in debt when I graduated in 2013. My families reside in NY and I want to transfer to Stony Brook/Downstate/NYU to be close to my family and lower my debt.

Is anyone familiar with the transfer process for the New York school. What kind of class standing and USMLE score should I aim for?
Is it possible to transfer after M1 instead of spending 2 years.

would financial reason be compelling enough for transfer application?

I have acceptance offer from a school in rural Illinois right now, but want to avoid being 280k in debt when I graduated in 2013. My families reside in NY and I want to transfer to Stony Brook/Downstate/NYU to be close to my family and lower my debt.

Is anyone familiar with the transfer process for the New York school. What kind of class standing and USMLE score should I aim for?

No.

You might also want to check if the Ny school even accepts transfers. not all schools do.
Either way, it would have to be a more compelling reason than not wanting to incur debt.

As far as I know, Downstate and Stony Brook does accept transfer student, but only after completion of 2nd year.

Any successful transfer student want to share their story?

No.

You might also want to check if the Ny school even accepts transfers. not all schools do.
Either way, it would have to be a more compelling reason than not wanting to incur debt.

I would like to learn more information on medical school transfers. I go to med school on the east coast but my fiance lives in California. I know that one school in california accepts transfers but does anyone know what my chances are? would you recommend transferring to another school during my medical education?

Having a fiance in California is not likely going to be a good reason for a transfer. It is not likely that you are going to find too many open positions in the California school that do accept transfers. In order to transfer, you need the permission of your dean and the dean of the school that you want to transfer to. Most transfers are done at the end of second year and after you take Step I. Chances of you being able to transfer for a fiance are slim.

Dude, as I told you when you did the SAME THING with the same topic on the pre-allo board, when you dredge up ancient threads such as this, can you PLEASE acknowledge that you are doing so so people don't waste time responding to folks who haven't been on here since 2000 (like njbmd just did)!!! All you need to do is say "I'm bumping this old thread because I have a similar question..." and you are set. But the way you are doing it is uncool. Seriously.
As for responses, see the pre-allo board -- I think folks already answered it over there.
Do not go to a med school with the goal of transferring out of that med school. Only go if you plan to spend 4 years there.

Dude, as I told you when you did the SAME THING with the same topic on the pre-allo board, when you dredge up ancient threads such as this, can you PLEASE acknowledge that you are doing so so people don't waste time responding to folks who haven't been on here since 2000 (like njbmd just did)!!! All you need to do is say "I'm bumping this old thread because I have a similar question..." and you are set. But the way you are doing it is uncool. Seriously.
As for responses, see the pre-allo board -- I think folks already answered it over there.
Do not go to a med school with the goal of transferring out of that med school. Only go if you plan to spend 4 years there.

:thumbup:

Does transferring schools look bad on a residency application? Will it complicate things? I already have a previous leave of absence on my record. My grades and board scores are good, but I am just wondering if transferring and a leave of absence may make it hard to match.

Does transferring schools look bad on a residency application? Will it complicate things? I already have a previous leave of absence on my record. My grades and board scores are good, but I am just wondering if transferring and a leave of absence may make it hard to match.

For the sake of anyone else posting to this thread, it was started in 2000 and has recently been brought back from a several month slumber.

Last edited:
I am a medical student in the Northeast, and am thinking about transferring to somewhere further South for third year. This decision is for a few reasons: my boyfriend lives in a certain city where I would like to transfer, I am truly miserable in the cold weather, and the school I want to transfer to is better caliber than the one I currently attend. While the school I want to transfer to has a policy of no transferring unless married to someone already in the medical center, I do have people at the center who would advocate for me. What is the best way to go about presenting my case to the desired school, and what steps should i take? Advice from someone who has transferred/ knows someone who has transferred would be especially helpful. Thank you!

I am a medical student in the Northeast, and am thinking about transferring to somewhere further South for third year. This decision is for a few reasons: my boyfriend lives in a certain city where I would like to transfer, I am truly miserable in the cold weather, and the school I want to transfer to is better caliber than the one I currently attend. While the school I want to transfer to has a policy of no transferring unless married to someone already in the medical center, I do have people at the center who would advocate for me. What is the best way to go about presenting my case to the desired school, and what steps should i take? Advice from someone who has transferred/ knows someone who has transferred would be especially helpful. Thank you!

None of the reasons that you cite would generally be compelling enough for transfer to another medical school. Why did you apply to your school in the first place if you are "miserable" in cold weather or the school is not of sufficient "caliber" for you? The boyfriend factor is a non-starter in any event.

In order to transfer, you need the permission of the school that you are currently attending, space in the school that you want to go to and a compelling reason (which none of the above would qualify). You need to be in good standing at your medical school and you need to meet/exceed the qualifications for admission to said school.

Most medical schools rarely take transfer students (most commonly in the third year after the student has passed USMLE Step I). There are few seats available and they generally go to people who have compelling reasons for transfer: illness of a spouse/parent/child, extreme financial hardship (paying two rents/mortgages). Weather and having a boyfriend will not usually "cut" it in terms of a compelling reason.

Unless one of those advocates is the dean (of both medical schools), you need to try adjust to your surroundings. Even with the deans' support, you are likely going to have to make the best of your choices. You can likely arrange to do some away electives in the location of your "boyfriend" or marry him so that you can do residency in the same place with a couples match.

You resurrected an old thread anyway (started in 10/2000 and last posted in 9/2009) with nothing really new here.

None of the reasons that you cite would generally be compelling enough for transfer to another medical school. Why did you apply to your school in the first place if you are "miserable" in cold weather or the school is not of sufficient "caliber" for you? The boyfriend factor is a non-starter in any event.

In order to transfer, you need the permission of the school that you are currently attending, space in the school that you want to go to and a compelling reason (which none of the above would qualify). You need to be in good standing at your medical school and you need to meet/exceed the qualifications for admission to said school.

Most medical schools rarely take transfer students (most commonly in the third year after the student has passed USMLE Step I). There are few seats available and they generally go to people who have compelling reasons for transfer: illness of a spouse/parent/child, extreme financial hardship (paying two rents/mortgages). Weather and having a boyfriend will not usually "cut" it in terms of a compelling reason.

Unless one of those advocates is the dean (of both medical schools), you need to try adjust to your surroundings. Even with the deans' support, you are likely going to have to make the best of your choices. You can likely arrange to do some away electives in the location of your "boyfriend" or marry him so that you can do residency in the same place with a couples match.

You resurrected an old thread anyway (started in 10/2000 and last posted in 9/2009) with nothing really new here.

The funny thing is that the person that started this thread has probably already completed their residency at this point.

I have been looking for some info on transfering and found this thread. Its really frustrating to find almost no information on med school transfers.
I just started med school in a school that I'm not too crazy about. I didnt know a lot about the school when i applied but once accepted I wanted to decline my offer. I was told that if i decline the offer, it would look really bad for the next cycle of applications.
I am seriously considering transferring to California for my last two years in medical school. I have my spouse, my family and his family back there but he might also move for school.
I like to know what is needed to transfer. how can i prepare for 2 years from now. I would really appreciate some help and guidance.

I have been looking for some info on transfering and found this thread. Its really frustrating to find almost no information on med school transfers.
I just started med school in a school that I'm not too crazy about. I didnt know a lot about the school when i applied but once accepted I wanted to decline my offer. I was told that if i decline the offer, it would look really bad for the next cycle of applications.
I am seriously considering transferring to California for my last two years in medical school. I have my spouse, my family and his family back there but he might also move for school.
I like to know what is needed to transfer. how can i prepare for 2 years from now. I would really appreciate some help and guidance.

You must have not read this entire thread because it was clearly stated from time to time that having a spouse near another medical school is not a good reason and no medical school will let you transfer.

Responding to the thread, cuz I think many people think about this issue. I have personal knowledge of a couple situations where people transferred into US medical schools. One was into second year, the other several were into third year. All were for spouses/domestic partners in the city where the medical school was located, although only one (out of 5 or 6) had their partners in the transferred to medical school. Other partners were in other industries (engineering, petroleum, law, NASA, etc.). I think that rule at Stanford is institution based, but know that all schools are not that restrictive in their transfer rules. Some schools don't accept transfers period. It seems that transferring process (once you had a good standing in a med school and had a good reason) was just a paperwork issue- not grueling interviews or anything.

You must have not read this entire thread because it was clearly stated from time to time that having a spouse near another medical school is not a good reason and no medical school will let you transfer.

I did, but they were talking about transfering because of a BF, and having a SPOUSE seems to be a good enough reason. Maybe you should read them more carefully

I did, but they were talking about transfering because of a BF, and having a SPOUSE seems to be a good enough reason. Maybe you should read them more carefully

Read all of njbmd's posts....for the record, she is a faculty at a medical school and I believe she is familiar with administrative aspects of a medical school because of her position.

I've heard of a few students from Hopkins(she transfered to UTSW for family reasons) and Harvard transferring to other schools. If it was possible, and knowing how devious most students can be, lots of people who were accepted into safety schools would just transfer into their dream schools. Seeing how that's not the case, most likely there are academic barriers to transfering as well.

As I stated before it also has to do with 1. available seats if people dropped down a year either due to being in joint degree programs or needing to repeat a year, 2. you have truly valid reasons like a spouse or family related issue that you need to be in a given city for. 3. Your step 1 and year 1 and 2 grades.

Thanks for all your helpful information. one quick question tho, we dont do step one until the end of second year. I know a few schools that Im interested to apply to have said you need to pass step one once you transfer... none have mentioned a high score.

Also, does anyone know how many people apply per year and how many generally get accepted... i know this depends on various factors but generally how many people drop out of med school or do MD PhD?

I am in a foreign med school.What is the procedure for attempting to transfer to a us school? What schools are taking students?

I am in a foreign med school.What is the procedure for attempting to transfer to a us school? What schools are taking students?

You're out of luck then, nearly all transfers are between US LCME-accredited medical schools (MD only).

Although I've heard Drexel taking one or two top students from the Caribbean.

Thanks for the reply. I have been led to believe that there are more than one school that will accept transfers. Plus I need to find out the procedure to begin the process.

You're out of luck then, nearly all transfers are between US LCME-accredited medical schools (MD only).

Although I've heard Drexel taking one or two top students from the Caribbean.

Interesting. I have also heard of a DO student transfering to an MD school. So while these are rare transfers can be done, they remain rare. It might be worth the attempt though (as U.S. MD schools will open so many more doors).

Interesting. I have also heard of a DO student transfering to an MD school. So while these are rare transfers can be done, they remain rare. It might be worth the attempt though (as U.S. MD schools will open so many more doors).

I'm under the strong impression that medical school transferring for the most part is done for personal reasons (moving closer to spouse being the number one reason), not for academic ambition.

For paul mccartney, the best bet would be to seek transfer policies for bottom-tier private MD schools. Don't get your hopes up though, unless you're like 270 Step 1 with publications.

Saying a bottom tier school is nothing new. The problem is that I have not be able to secure any specifics names of Schools or how the procedure is accomplished.

Saying a bottom tier school is nothing new. The problem is that I have not be able to secure any specifics names of Schools or how the procedure is accomplished.

Uh, there's only 120 or so medical schools in the country. You can start with the bottom 50. It shouldn't be too hard going through their websites and look up their transfer policy or emailing them about it.

If someone has to hand you that information, you don't deserve to transfer anywhere.

Thanks for the idea of trying new schools.As far as Naus is concerned, I noticed that some of your posts can be quite nasty. I would be angry too if I knew that Naus was a sailing ship in the 15th century that often sunk. I thought naus was babylonian for SCHMUCK

I'm under the strong impression that medical school transferring for the most part is done for personal reasons (moving closer to spouse being the number one reason), not for academic ambition.

For paul mccartney, the best bet would be to seek transfer policies for bottom-tier private MD schools. Don't get your hopes up though, unless you're like 270 Step 1 with publications.

Well, with this DO student, it was pure ambition. Not sure what his resume looks like, but I think he did well on step1 and has extensive research (took time off after second year before the transfer).

Hey, I'm a first year at Ross, and I am seriously considering transferring to an American med school. I saw the list on the aamc website that accepts foreign transfers, but some of the schools that were mentioned on this forum were not on that list. Does anyone know of schools that accept foreign transfers that weren't on that list?

Also, I know transferring into the third year is pretty dependent on your USMLE Step 1 score, but for transferring to the second year, would it be my MCATs that were the main factor?

Hey, I'm a first year at Ross, and I am seriously considering transferring to an American med school. I saw the list on the aamc website that accepts foreign transfers, but some of the schools that were mentioned on this forum were not on that list. Does anyone know of schools that accept foreign transfers that weren't on that list?

Also, I know transferring into the third year is pretty dependent on your USMLE Step 1 score, but for transferring to the second year, would it be my MCATs that were the main factor?

Well, for one thing this thread is from 2000, so whatever the AAMC says is probably more accurate.

Secondly, I have never heard of people transferring during the second year because of how integrated and unique each pre-clinical curriculum is (or claims to be).

You might want to check on valuemd for specific Ross stuff cause I'm guessing none of us have any clue as to how to transfer to the US from the carib. Good luck!

i am aware of two schools that allow 2nd year transfers, but there has to be extensive compatibility between your current schools didactic curriculum and theirs, and a far better reason than "I'm better than Ross"....

I would personally wait until 3rd year, but I suppose it doesn't hurt to try more than once. You should start laying the groundwork now though.

Well, for one thing this thread is from 2000, so whatever the AAMC says is probably more accurate.

Secondly, I have never heard of people transferring during the second year because of how integrated and unique each pre-clinical curriculum is (or claims to be).

You might want to check on valuemd for specific Ross stuff cause I'm guessing none of us have any clue as to how to transfer to the US from the carib. Good luck!

I had a classmate transfer between 1st/2nd year... US MD to US MD though... but it can be done during that time period.

This thread is still alive?

The odds of someone successfully transferring from the Caribbean to a US MD school (without a spouse there) is the same as the odds of me eventually getting into Pediatric Surgery at Harvard. Is it possible? Perhaps. I wouldn't bet more than $100 bucks on it though, even with knockout scores, research, high powered LORs, and publications.

Keep the hope up I guess....

Well, with this DO student, it was pure ambition. Not sure what his resume looks like, but I think he did well on step1 and has extensive research (took time off after second year before the transfer).

I also know someone who transfered from DO to a MD program. He was very ambitious and took some time off after year 2 to do research at a very good research school. Got published in a very good journal and I assume he did very well on his step one. I know he goes to Wisconsin now and will be finishing up his MD. if you are considering going into research eventually then taking time off to improve your chances wont hurt you.

I know Caribbean or international schools are a bit different than DO, you definitely want to contact schools directly. maybe just start by their transfer policy first and stick with those that are open to transfer.

Good luck :)

Ok, so I don't know if people are going to even look at this thread anymore. But, there IS info out there about transferring. The info is posted on AAMC's website- here's the link:
http://services.aamc.org/tsp_reports/

And, it is possible to transfer in your 2nd year. You just have to check which schools have open spots. Obviously, as stated many times in all the earlier posts, you have to have a compelling reason and meet the qualification standards of the school and there are normally not a whole lot of spots (max of 5, as GujuDoc said) I know Northwestern took a transfer this year due to extreme hardship if that person remained where she/he was.