Medical School Transfer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeekerOfTheTree

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

How are all of you doing? I looked up this post in the history but wasn't sure if my circumstances would apply. I am a married med student and my wife's contract here is going to be ending and she is going to have to go back. My question is if she doesn't find anything locally and has to go back, how feasible would a transfer be? We also have a small child so it makes the situation worse for me. Any advice is appreciate. I am going to be in my second year.

Thanks!
Bond

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

How are all of you doing? I looked up this post in the history but wasn't sure if my circumstances would apply. I am a married med student and my wife's contract here is going to be ending and she is going to have to go back. My question is if she doesn't find anything locally and has to go back, how feasible would a transfer be? We also have a small child so it makes the situation worse for me. Any advice is appreciate. I am going to be in my second year.

Thanks!
Bond

You have one of the very few acceptable reasons for requesting a transfer. You have to start doing your leg-work now. Look into what the requirements are for transfer for the school you want to go to. Some schools dont accept transfers at all.
Of the ones that do, most only accept transfers after step 1 has been passed.
And of these, there would have to be an open spot so someone would have had to have dropped out or dismissed somewhere along the way in the class you want to transfer into.
Again, do your homework and make some calls. make sure there is someone who knows your situation in the school you want to transfer to.
It might also be a good idea to talk to your dean. Considering your situation, they would be your best resource in convincing another school to take you as a transfer.

Short version: Yes it is feasible but you would have to spend some time over the course of this coming year working on it to make it happen

You don't think they would kick me out of medical school do you? I know this sounds like a dumb question but I am scared if I go up to my dean and start telling him that my wife has to go to another state for work because her contract is up he might just tell me leave..I know that sounds very irrational but I want to make sure they won't do that. How could I approach my dean? Should I email him, or get an appointment to talk to him? What would your suggestions be? Do you think I should wait till second year starts or this summer is a good of a time as any? Sorry about the billion questions...just a little anxious about the process.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think they COULD kick you out of med school for attempting to transfer. The worst they could do is say no.

Hi,

Thanks!
Bond

There are many threads on this subject but essentially in additon to have a good reason for the transfer:
  • The school that you are attempting to transfer into must have an opening and you must be in good standing at your medical school.
  • The school that you are attempting to transfer into must accept transfers at your level (most accept transfers after second year with a passing score on USMLE Step I).
  • You need the support of the administration of both medical schools (start working on this now).

The above are the minimum requirements. Some schools have other requirements such as comparable curricula at both schools (systems-based to traditional would likely not happen) nor (osteopathic to allopathic). Some schools also want to you to meet or exceed their entrance requirements (MCAT/uGPA). In short, since the year has ended, you need to work very fast as most schools do not have many positions opens.

Thanks guys! I am going to get the process started this summer to see if the transfer will be possible for my third year. Thanks for your replies!

You don't think they would kick me out of medical school do you? I know this sounds like a dumb question but I am scared if I go up to my dean and start telling him that my wife has to go to another state for work because her contract is up he might just tell me leave..I know that sounds very irrational but I want to make sure they won't do that. How could I approach my dean? Should I email him, or get an appointment to talk to him? What would your suggestions be? Do you think I should wait till second year starts or this summer is a good of a time as any? Sorry about the billion questions...just a little anxious about the process.

No, your not the 1st student to ask and you wont be the last. At my school they don't actively encourage students to transfer, but they're pretty understanding about the whole process. I'll be transferring next year so PM me if you have specific questions.

I was wondering if accepted for transfer, is the deal bonding or I still have the ability to decide if to take it up or not? :eek: