Medical School with disabilities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bambifromnh

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking to go into medical school (have to go back and finish my pre med first less than 2 semesters) but I have Ehlers Danlos syndrome. I also had Cauda Equina Syndrome in 2012. Does medical schools/interships etc have the ability to give accommodations?
For example, if my hip decided it wanted to dislocate in the middle of rounds would it be okay? I understand things happen but unfortunately because of the EDS I regularly dislocate. I can usually take 5 minutes and relocate (shoulder and kneecap) but hip not so much.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am looking to go into medical school (have to go back and finish my pre med first less than 2 semesters) but I have Ehlers Danlos syndrome. I also had Cauda Equina Syndrome in 2012. Does medical schools/interships etc have the ability to give accommodations?
For example, if my hip decided it wanted to dislocate in the middle of rounds would it be okay? I understand things happen but unfortunately because of the EDS I regularly dislocate. I can usually take 5 minutes and relocate (shoulder and kneecap) but hip not so much.
Thanks

Hey there. I also have EDS, hypermobility type. I get it. I'm in second year, but I've already had a few situations that have pushed me to my limits physically. Hours standing in the anatomy lab made my knees lock and hips unstable. Typing (!!!) has dislocated my pinky (IKR???) I think permanently. I've had 2 hernias and several oral surgeries since starting. My hips are also unstable. Ok, so here's what I'm doing (or trying to do, but like, I also have 2 high needs kids so my priorities are always shifting).

1. Whatever you do to exercise and strengthen your muscles, get on it. When I don't overdo it, hot yoga is really helpful to me because it increases my synovium and strength, and keeps me from getting stiff. Dancing does the same thing. When I have time to do this, I notice that my symptoms are way more manageable, and I'm in far less pain. At the very least, I try to stretch every day.

2. BRACES. Omg, super helpful, especially hands and knees. And orthotics. Sometimes I wear a totally unsexy corset to anatomy lab, because it stabilizes my lower back and keeps my hips from getting stuck in weird positions. I sit in chairs when I need to.

3. Diet has been really key for me, too. Vitamin supplementing helps, keeping my weight down helps, eating good food and keeping the sugar down to a minimum helps (but is hard for me, because I have an ice cream habit).

3. Remember, you will be surrounded by doctors and med students, most of whom will not have seen a patient with EDS. I popped my hip out of place walking off a curb this semester (uggggh), and when I got to school, 2 of my peers were more than happy to practice reducing a hip on me, which they handily did. Docs use my stupid human tricks now as instruction points, so I feel just fine tapping out or sitting down when I need to.

4. This is the most important piece of advice I can give you: I'm honest about what's going on with people who need to know, like people in my anatomy group, attendings and administration. You will be so much better off if, after you're accepted, you let them know that you're going to need more time off for doctor's appointments and may need some accommodations. What sucks about this disability is that it looks like malingering/hypochondria unless you have the paperwork to back it up. Heck, I didn't even know that was what was wrong with me until recently, but once I had the diagnosis and could say, "Here, this is what the problem is and this is what I need," my life got a little easier.

Hang in there. It's challenging, but I haven't found it to be completely unmanageable yet.

upload_2016-12-28_1-11-33.png

Reactions: 1 users
LOL, so I see that my 2 people with EDS have already met in cyberspace. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, I have found that over the years since my DX that hiding it is a worst outcome than being honest. And, I can't really hide my dislocations so easily. I work with PT regularly, and OT (as I work full time right now). It is rather interesting dynamic however, have a rare DX surrounded by students looking to learn everything and anything.
I've always wondered if in ortho I could causally be like 'I'll relocate that!'

Reactions: 1 user
If this guy could become a doctor, so can you!!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/03/magazine/one-mans-quest-to-change-the-way-we-die.html

Thanks

I have EDS-3 as well as several forms of dysautonomia. Even professional med schools are required to have disability services, so I would definitely talk to that department before starting classes so you can have a plan set in place for various potential situations.