Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glycerol123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am a first year freshmen at UCSB. All throughout my life, I wanted to pursue my dream to become an ER Doctor because I admire the everyday work doctors do to save lives of people. Now, I'm getting very anxious and nervous about the MCAT. I heard that the MCAT is VERY hard and I'm getting a little bit discouraged. I plan to major in Biochemistry and go to med school after. Is the MCAT that hard to pass with a score >27? I'm really nervous that I wont get into med school and my dreams flushed down the toilet. Can anyone give me any tips? :(

Members don't see this ad.

The MCAT is certainly not an easy exam, nor is it something you can study for a few hours for. That being said, if you're willing to dedicate a lot of time/energy into studying for it, you can definitely get a solid score! It's really about starting to study early, making a solid plan, holding yourself to it, and making sure you take the exam at the right time (i.e. once your practice scores are where you want them to be and once you're as ready as you can be). You've got some time before you need to worry about it, but if you're willing to work hard (which it sounds like you are!) you can definitely crush it :)

I wouldn't at all recommend basing your major off of what you think will help you on the MCAT. The test requires solid critical thinking/problem solving skills and more basic science knowledge that you will pick up by taking the pre-med courses (i.e. 1 year physics, 1 year math, 2 years chem, 1 year bio, etc). I majored in physics but still scored very well, despite the fact that there's barely any physics on the MCAT. There are plenty of review materials (like the free Khan Academy videos!) that will help you brush up on any content, so there's no reason to major in biochem just to have a slight head-start on that content section.

Major in something that you find interesting and that you'll love studying for 4 years! You'll be much happier that you spent 4 years pursuing something interesting to you, and realistically the extra biochem knowledge would only help you on one (maybe two) of the four sections anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
So all the MCAT is is just General Chemistry, General Physics, General Biology, Linear Algebra etc?
I sound very worried because I am and I know that med school considers GPA, MCAT, and extracurriculars. Right now my GPA is 3.7, so my GPA is fine, but I'm highly worried about this MCAT hurdle.

The MCAT has four sections: chem/physics, critical reading, bio/biochem, and psych/sociology. You should cover nearly all the tested material when you take the premed requirements (the 2 years of chem/1 year of physics should cover chem/physics, the 1 year of bio/2 years of chem should cover bio/biochem), with the exception of psych/sociology (I would recommend maybe taking intro psych or an intro sociology class at some point if you can, but you can definitely learn these topics yourself via Khan Academy or a review book too). The reading section has no required knowledge, it's just all reading passages and answering questions about them.

There isn't even calculus on the MCAT--definitely no linear algebra. You can find a really thorough list of everything that's covered and which college level classes will cover it on the AAMC website (https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-medical-school/article/whats-mcat-exam/).

I know you're worried, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to spend too much time thinking about it until you've at least taken all of the premed courses. Most people don't tackle the MCAT until after junior year, so you've got a long time before you need to be seriously thinking about it! The test is very hyped up, which makes sense because it is important, but it shouldn't be something that dictates your academic choices for your entire college experience.

Thank you for the help. By the way is my GPA acceptable and good so far for admission to med school?
And what is the average score medical schools like on the MCAT?

Last edited:
This is your first semester of college, right? So how do you know your GPA?

In any case, a 3.7 is about average for matriculants to medical school. So it's definitely looking promising! As you said before, med schools will look at your MCAT, GPA, and ECs, so there are a lot of pieces to the puzzle and your GPA is just one of them.

I think people generally say that a score of 508+ will be competitive for MD schools, but it's not like it would hurt you to score higher or you wouldn't be able to "make up" for scoring lower with a killer GPA/ECs

You're still a freshman and you sound really worked up. Relax, enjoy your college years. Try your best to excel in your college courses. The harder you try now in your pre-reqs the easier the MCAT will be.

You should be afraid. Everyone is afraid of doing bad. That's the reason people study more which ultimately leads to a better score. People who do good on the exam don't do magically great because they are not afraid, they do great because they study. There are two outcomes: you do well and become a doctor or you do terrible and don't become a doctor. Just study and everything else will come. Quit worrying and enjoy your four years of college. You are in your prime; make friends, meet girls/boys, have fun, keep studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take a deep breath. Relax.

You're only in your first semester of freshman year. It's good that you're educating yourself and preparing yourself now, but don't worry so much! The MCAT is difficult, but you have plenty of time to study for it. Also, if you don't care about what degree you get, I would recommend sticking with Biochemistry. I was a biochem major and I got a lot of my pre-reqs for med school knocked out because they were also required for my degree (saved a lot of time and money). You don't need to have a science major to do well on the MCAT, but it does save time when studying for it because you'll have a lot of the background on the science topics. I would try and get as high of a GPA as possible and as high of an MCAT as possible. Always try to aim higher, that way you're not struggling to beat the avg stats. Aim for that 4.0 gpa, but don't freak out if you get a 3.7. That's way better than aiming for a 3.7 and end up getting a 3.3. Same with the MCAT.

Also, work on EC right now. Start having some long term ECs or shadowing set up, that'll way it'll be easier to ask for LOR (esp from a physician) later when you apply to med school.

Studying for the MCAT was hard work, but when you get to med school it's like you're studying for the MCAT all day..every day..for 2 years. The MCAT was hard but it's nothing like med school. And I can't even imagine what boards are going to be like! So don't let the MCAT freak you out! If you're already panicking and worried about the MCAT and you're only a freshman, you need to find a way to manage your stress, and fast. Many people drop out of med school due to not being able to manage their stress levels, and those are the people that went to college, took the MCAT, and made it to med school. So relax! Take things easy and enjoy college! It'll be the easiest 4 years you'll have (if you do decide to go down this path). Don't let the thought of the MCAT make you so nervous. Try your best and you'll be fine!

I'm just afraid that I wont do well on the MCAT and Medical school will reject me. :(
You need to know that most people who apply to medical school get rejected the first time around. There are more applicants than slots available. You need to prepare yourself for the rejection. I personally applied 4 times before I was accepted. You need to know that. You also need to know that becoming a doctor is all about exams. The MCAT is the first exam of many and you may end up taking that multiple times too.

For MD school you take the USMLE to be licensed: Step I, Step II, Step II PE, Step III, then the exam to be board certified.
For DO school you take the COMLEX and/or USMLE: Same amount of exams.
Every 10 years after that you have to take the Board recert exam.

No use getting worked up at the beginning of the journey. There is a long long way to go and many harder exams to hurdle to be a practicing physician.

I think I saw somewhere that 75% of people do get in their first try (this is from the stats that roughly 25% of people in the class are re-applicants). But there are a lot of things you can do to help yourself get in the first try. Apply early, don't take the MCAT until you're ready (to prevent retakes), have good GPA, ECs, etc etc. I had my primary application pretty much all filled out and I submitted it the first week applications were open. Got my first interview in september at my top choice and got the acceptance 2 weeks after that and never went to another interview. It is definitely possible. But you have to prepare a lot beforehand.

Some people that don't get in either applied too late, or didn't write convincing essays for their secondary applications, or had the stats but didn't perform well during interviews.

If you take the MCAT several times, for example: Let's say i get a 501 on my first attempt. Then I take it a second time and get a 505. Then My final attempt I get a 510. Do med school admissions officers like that I improved? What does it take to get in on the first try?

Studying well, take a lot of practice tests before the real test to see where you are at. It's good that you improved...but its a HUGE red flag that you had to take it that many times. and a 510 is not impressive for your 3rd MCAT. recommendation is to take it once. twice if you absolutely HAVE to. The reason why they don't like more than one attempt is because you only get one shot at boards. If you pass board, that's the score you have to stick with.

So it's really important to NOT take the MCAT unless you feel ready to! Don't rush it!

What is the main factor that admissions officers look at when deciding if you get into medical school? I'm worried most about this MCAT, because I can attain a good GPA, but it's the MCAT that is scaring me into not becoming a doctor. What do I need to do to get a 509 or greater?

Last edited:
How long did you study for the MCAT?
I personally studied for it for 2 months. But I was not in school or working at the time.

The time it takes to study for the MCAT is very individualized. It depends on your background in the subjects, what you have going on at that time, how many hours you can dedicate to studying per day, what resources you are using etc etc.

One advice I would give you is to find tons of practice questions. It'll help you see how they might ask a question, or how they are going to use the content. however, ONLY take the official AAMC practice tests until you are SURE you're ready. They only have a limited number of tests, and you don't want to waste them! Take those to see how you might score on the actual test since the format is the exactly like the real test. So take those a month or two before you take the test to see what your weak areas are in (make one a week), but do not use those as practice questions while studying.

What do I need to do to not get rejected from medical school and score a 510 on the MCAT?

To not get rejected from medical school you need to stop stressing, get good grades, and will yourself to score the highest score you can get on your MCAT. There is no magic formula.

Reactions: 1 user
So basically to sum everything up:
1. Get good grades in my undergraduate year?
2. Study my a$$ off for the MCAT beginning this summer?
3. Do ECs and shadow a physician?
4. Stop worrying I won't do good on the MCAT?

Every except for #2. MCAT preparation begins the day you walk into your first science class. Specific MCAT studying doesn't start until 3-6 months before the actual exam.

beginning this summer??? You're a freshman and there's no need to study right now for it. When you take those pre-req classes, that's that same thing as studying for the MCAT. do well in those classes, and all of your science classes. There's no point in studying for the MCAT when you don't even have the basics down yet.

I always had success making sure to do a question a day, even before my dedicated study period. I came across this site, called motivatemd.com that has pretty solid questions you can subscribe to to get one sent to your email every day!