Medical Schools Admissions: Should they be conducted like the Texas schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mystique

The Procrastinator
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you like admissions the way they are or would you like admissions to be similar to the way the Texas schools do it? W/ the Texas schools, you rank the schools you interview at, and they rank you. Plus, you'd know where you were at in February.

Members don't see this ad.

interesting results thus far...

Hmm...I think I'd be a really good idea, but I see two problems.

One would be that it would probably take longer that just till February to interview everyone. So we'd probably all have to wait unitl March or April.

The other, and this is a big one, is how would financial aid work. Sometimes students get scholarships to, say, their state school and choose them based on that. So I don't know how that would fit in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think "revert" is the word you're looking for, since the other schools weren't previously on a match system.

But I do think that the match system is a really good idea. I just got accepted to a TX school, so maybe I'm biased.

I'm not sure how this works, but do you only get into one like residency? I think that would pose a problem for people with great stats and a lot of choices.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by PatDaddy:
•I don't think "revert" is the word you're looking for, since the other schools weren't previously on a match system.•••••Oops, now I do feel the fool. :oops: I should have put convert...sorry about that.

I dunno if I want the match per se, but I would like more seats reserved for residents of my state like the Texas peeps have (1000 or so). I don't wanna be told where I have to go to med school should I decide to stay in-state; that would suck. Then again, I guess I can't complain cause who knows if I'd even get in if it weren't for the match system? Ah, this process is so damn random. Absolutely no rhyme or reason to so many things.

Just curious, but does anyone know why Texas has more seats than Cali (800)? I feel bad for all you Cali applicants. I would think that Cali should have more seats. What's the population difference?

The match is essentially the same thing as having a bunch of acceptances and choosing the one you like best. But in this case, you do the choosing before you know where you are accepted. If i got into schools A, B and C, there's no real difference between saying i want to go to B after I'm accepted to all three and telling the central app service that if I get into all 3, i'd rather go to B. Of course, this wouldn't work with all med schools as tuition and financial aid can be the make or break part of it- in Texas it's all the same (except houston is a little higher) and so that doesn't influence decisions as much as it could with private schools. --Trek