Medical Schools don't really care what your major is right?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gasbait

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The reason i'm asking this is because I am seriously considering doing a Poultry Science major, ( I :love: chickens) but I don't want it to raise a red flag during admissions because it sounds a bit silly (even I acknowledge that!). However, since I assume medical school will be all work and no play, I want to enjoy my undergrad as much as I can by choosing a major that seems fun to me.

What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Like others said, if you like it go for it. :thumbup:
But I would expect questions like "why not veterinary?" during the interviews.

as long as you can answer the question "why ____ology?" then you're golden.

also, you should look into Wumbology, if your school has it..

as long as you can answer the question "why ____ology?" then you're golden.

also, you should look into Wumbology, if your school has it..

:(

My school only has a BA for Wumboing and Wumborama

Aye, its a shame I ignored my acceptance letter from University of Wumbo

:scared:

I kinda like the fact its vocational though. That way, if medicine doesn't work out, I can always be a chicken farmer and vice versa :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
They absolutely do care. You should expect questions about it at every interview. If it's what you want to do though, you should be able to explain that you thought it would be fun and interesting.

I bet you have a lot of interviewers that are very interested in talking to you about it, if you are otherwise a strong candidate. That can't be a bad thing.

When people say that your major doesn't matter to med schools, I think they have in mind crazy-ass stuff that will make you an educated, well-rounded person, like:

history

English

political science

art history

Not chicken management.

I feel like chicken management may be a little bit of a stretch. My medical school has a very high number of philosophy, history and english majors, and they add to the academic diversity of the class. Chicken management may fall into the "non-academic" basket of majors like vocational degrees, and I think that those aren't viewed in the same way as the more academic "non-science" majors.

I wouldn't do it. It's not academic at all, whereas humanities are. Even then I think the "major doesn't matter in the slightest" is exaggerated on SDN. Ad coms definitely know which classes are BS :p

But maybe vet school would like something like that?

Wait...i'm getting mixed responses. Does it matter or does it not?

When I was a kid, it was my job to muck out our chicken coop, collect the eggs, etc. I hated those f'ing chickens with a passion. Every time I eat a chicken, I feel a little sense of triumph.

Ducks are cool with me, though.

Wait...i'm getting mixed responses. Does it matter or does it not?

A friend did a summer medical program. The Admissions met with them, told them not only did they not care what your major was, but they weren't any more impressed by a double or triple major.

GPA+MCAT=$$$

You could major in lunch and poop, get a good GPA and MCAT, and no one cares.

A friend did a summer medical program. The Admissions met with them, told them not only did they not care what your major was, but they weren't any more impressed by a double or triple major.

GPA+MCAT=$$$

You could major in lunch and poop, get a good GPA and MCAT, and no one cares.

I would disagree with "no one cares". Some schools may and some schools may not. If you are choosing to pursue a degree in something rather uncommon, it's going to be a risk you have to be willing to take and you are going to have to be able to explain to adcom if and when the time comes. It's not a good idea to choose a major just for funsies.

I would disagree with "no one cares". Some schools may and some schools may not. If you are choosing to pursue a degree in something rather uncommon, it's going to be a risk you have to be willing to take and you are going to have to be able to explain to adcom if and when the time comes. It's not a good idea to choose a major just for funsies.

And I would disagree with it not being a good idea to choose a major for funsies. You're going to be unique from the 5,000+ Biology majors that apply. You can explain that it was something you had a real passion about and wanted to learn more about. You're probably not going back to college, you should totally learn about something you love learning about.

I think that that has certain limits. You should major in any highly academic area for fun--e.g., history, art, engineering, philosophy. You obviously don't have to major in a science like biology or chemistry, but more vocational majors like nursing, farm management, etc are not going to be considered in the same light.

And I would disagree with it not being a good idea to choose a major for funsies. You're going to be unique from the 5,000+ Biology majors that apply. You can explain that it was something you had a real passion about and wanted to learn more about. You're probably not going back to college, you should totally learn about something you love learning about.

I've always been skeptical of this response, if your so passionate about X field then why the heck are you going to medical school instead doing <blank>???!!!

(Unless your saying that you were passionate about it beforehand, but that you ended up deciding it wasn't for you - thats legitimate)

I've always been skeptical of this response, if your so passionate about X field then why the heck are you going to medical school instead doing <blank>???!!!

yeah, to OP, how should one answer the Interviewer: If you love chickens, why do you want to be at our medical school? Why do you want to be doctor instead of chicken farmer?

(Unless your saying that you were passionate about it beforehand, but that you ended up deciding it wasn't for you - thats legitimate)

You can be passionate or really into multiple things. I was passionate about foreign language and tech stuff, but still wanted to go to medical school. There are people who are passionate about music who go to medical school. There are people who are passionate about lots of crap that go to medical school. Being really interested in one thing does not exclude wanting to do something else. I got the question a few times, "Why medicine over x?". I answered truthfully about where I saw myself being happiest in the longrun and how I still pursue other topics for fun. What if the OP is passionate about poultry science? Maybe they'd like to have a practice in some rural area and manage a small farm on the side. Weirder things have happened. I know plenty of docs that do real estate investments on the side, who are co-owners for restaraunts, etc. While you dedicate a large chunk of your life to medicine, there is still a little left for having outside interests.

You can be passionate or really into multiple things. I was passionate about foreign language and tech stuff, but still wanted to go to medical school. There are people who are passionate about music who go to medical school. There are people who are passionate about lots of crap that go to medical school. Being really interested in one thing does not exclude wanting to do something else. I got the question a few times, "Why medicine over x?". I answered truthfully about where I saw myself being happiest in the longrun and how I still pursue other topics for fun. What if the OP is passionate about poultry science? Maybe they'd like to have a practice in some rural area and manage a small farm on the side. Weirder things have happened. I know plenty of docs that do real estate investments on the side, who are co-owners for restaraunts, etc. While you dedicate a large chunk of your life to medicine, there is still a little left for having outside interests.

Thats a good way to approach it, I was just pointing out it might not be wise to overstate your passions to a non-medical profession.

(Things like Art/Music/Film/Athletics are a bit different because the majority of the population knows that these are often better hobbies than professions unless your extremely, extremely talented)

Just explain it.

I've been asked, and I haven't gotten any impression that they thought it was negative. In fact, and speaking anecdotally, they have been impressed at something different.

And my major is not even remotely related to bio (math major).

yeah, to OP, how should one answer the Interviewer: If you love chickens, why do you want to be at our medical school? Why do you want to be doctor instead of chicken farmer?

The answer is actually really simple, it's not a realistic career. Starting and managing a farm is a HUGE risk and requires a great deal of personal investment and chance, especially with all these corporate farms monopolizing the industry. I don't see how it would be possible for me to raise a stable family and career when there is absolutely no way for me to have a stable income. Besides, I don't see whats wrong with avoiding mixing an interest with your career.

Besides, it's not like being a physician is just a "heat-of-the-moment" thing, I actually really want to become a doctor. And if your major really doesn't matter, and most of the stuff you learn in undergrad is useless in medical school, why should I major in something I care nothing for when I can instead learn about something I actually have a passion for? :love:

I can't help but laugh when I think of Poultry Science, and chicken management! (not in a mean way)

There is a difference between choosing a major just for fun and choosing a major that you have a passion for. If it is a huge passion of the OP's, this Poultry Science stuff (not trying to be mean, I just don't know what poultry science really is besides having to deal with fowl) then he/she can go for it, but just needs to keep in mind how to answer adcom's questions. Now, if the OP is picking PS because it seems fun, that's not a good idea.

I'm just a little confused though. From what I've gotten by searching similar threads, ADCOM'S get tired of seeing the typical bio major, wouldn't a poultry science major actually be a breath of fresh air?

And I admit, my poultry science major will be 10% passion, 90% fun. Should that matter at all?

I'm just a little confused though. From what I've gotten by searching similar threads, ADCOM'S get tired of seeing the typical bio major, wouldn't a poultry science major actually be a breath of fresh air?

And I admit, my poultry science major will be 10% passion, 90% fun. Should that matter at all?

The problem is that it is unlikely to add much to your future in medicine. Someone with a background in philosophy, music, art, history, or psychology brings something unique to the table in terms of ways of thinking about and approaching medicine. What would you bring? Why would your view be more valuable than the typical bio major's?

The core courses are:

• POSC 201 General Avian Science (3-0) 3
  • POSC 302 Avian Science Laboratory (0-2) 1
  • POSC 308 Avian Anatomy and Physiology (2-3) 3
  • POSC 309 Poultry Meat Production (3-2) 4
  • POSC 326 Commercial Egg Industry (3-0) 3
  • POSC 381 Sophomore Seminar (1-0) 1
  • POSC 406 Poultry Processing and Products (3-2) 4
  • POSC 411 Poultry Nutrition (3-0) 3
  • POSC 412 Poultry Feed Formulation (1-0) 1
  • POSC 414 Avian Genetics and Breeding (2-2) 3
  • POSC 427 Animal Waste Management (3-0) 3
  • POSC 429 Advanced Food Bacteriology (3-2) 4
  • POSC 481 Poultry Science Systems (1-2) 2

What about these adds skills or ways of thinking both unique AND applicable to medicine? They don't appear to emphasize creativity (as in music or art) nor do they appear to involve depth of thought and novel approaches to problem solving (such as in philosophy) nor insight into the human mind (as in psychology) nor do they even emphasize approaches to future problems by looking at past successes and failures (such as in history). In other words, there's not much you're going to add to a class of bio majors. At least from my perspective, these courses appear to be largely watered-down avian-specific bio-like classes as well as some very watered-down business coursework. In other words, I'm not so sure you'd add much to a medical school class.

If they didn't want you to contribute anything to the class from your college career, they would have taken you directly from high school!

Last edited:
The problem is that it is unlikely to add much to your future in medicine. Someone with a background in philosophy, music, art, history, or psychology brings something unique to the table in terms of ways of thinking about and approaching medicine. What would you bring? Why would your view be more valuable than the typical bio major's?

The core courses are:

• POSC 201 General Avian Science (3-0) 3
  • POSC 302 Avian Science Laboratory (0-2) 1
  • POSC 308 Avian Anatomy and Physiology (2-3) 3
  • POSC 309 Poultry Meat Production (3-2) 4
  • POSC 326 Commercial Egg Industry (3-0) 3
  • POSC 381 Sophomore Seminar (1-0) 1
  • POSC 406 Poultry Processing and Products (3-2) 4
  • POSC 411 Poultry Nutrition (3-0) 3
  • POSC 412 Poultry Feed Formulation (1-0) 1
  • POSC 414 Avian Genetics and Breeding (2-2) 3
  • POSC 427 Animal Waste Management (3-0) 3
  • POSC 429 Advanced Food Bacteriology (3-2) 4
  • POSC 481 Poultry Science Systems (1-2) 2

What about these adds skills or ways of thinking both unique AND applicable to medicine? They don't appear to emphasize creativity (as in music or art) nor do they appear to involve depth of thought and novel approaches to problem solving (such as in philosophy) nor insight into the human mind (as in psychology) nor do they even emphasize approaches to future problems by looking at past successes and failures (such as in history). In other words, there's not much you're going to add to a class of bio majors. At least from my perspective, these courses appear to be largely watered-down avian-specific bio-like classes as well as some very watered-down business coursework. In other words, I'm not so sure you'd add much to a medical school class.

If they didn't want you to contribute anything to the class from your college career, they would have taken you directly from high school!

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "contribute." Does it really matter if my major doesn't add anything? I mean, if I do well in my prerequisites and MCAT, isn't that proof enough that I wont be a waste of space in a medical school?

I mean, will an english major get extra points on an anatomy test by writing a sonnet at the bottom? Will a philosophy major do better on a biochemistry test if he develops a new system of government while taking it?

Will an artist do better on a surgical rotation by being more "creative" during a routine operation?

Why does it matter what you previously know if you and everyone around you is probably going to be learning this for the first time?

it's about perspective. a lot of the work you will do as a medical student and beyond will be in teams, and it's been shown that problem-solving goes better in a team environment amongst people with different perspectives. so yes, people with different backgrounds are valued in medicine.

the trouble with your plan is the same trouble all people have who are coming out of applied science programs - i would imagine that the impression is that of someone with a science background, but not a particularly rigorous one. what does that add?

now, if your plan is to work in poultry for a few years before medical school, it's a better idea. and frankly, a poultry science major is so random that it probably won't count much against you even if you don't work in the field. but you will be asked why you chose this major and then didn't go back to work on the farm.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "contribute." Does it really matter if my major doesn't add anything? I mean, if I do well in my prerequisites and MCAT, isn't that proof enough that I wont be a waste of space in a medical school?

I mean, will an english major get extra points on an anatomy test by writing a sonnet at the bottom? Will a philosophy major do better on a biochemistry test if he develops a new system of government while taking it?

Will an artist do better on a surgical rotation by being more "creative" during a routine operation?

Why does it matter what you previously know if you and everyone around you is probably going to be learning this for the first time?

GravityWave basically said what I would have in response, but to expand a bit more, consider the work of a physician. If you've never worked in a healthcare setting, it's probably difficult to really understand what these fields "add" to a healthcare setting. The basic idea is that diverse points of view add to the chance of finding a good solution. Part of why we have nurses, doctors, techs, RTs, etc. in so many critical situations in a hospital environment is because each adds something. In a psychiatric or behavioral emergency (e.g., a behavioral code), many hospitals will bring in a team consisting of something along the lines of an ED Physician, Psychiatrist (or Psych NP), LCSW (or Psych Evaluator), Psych Tech/ED Tech, a Psych RN/ED RN, the pt's primary RN and the pt's primary mental health tech or CNA or some similar group of professionals. Each person adds a perspective. The docs obviously offer something the RNs and techs don't, likewise, a tech may offer something the doc can't (often this is experience working with these types of pts in direct care and/or having worked w/ this particular pt in the past). Using multiple people's perspectives and experiences can be very effective when it comes to providing optimal care.

GravityWave basically said what I would have in response, but to expand a bit more, consider the work of a physician. If you've never worked in a healthcare setting, it's probably difficult to really understand what these fields "add" to a healthcare setting. The basic idea is that diverse points of view add to the chance of finding a good solution. Part of why we have nurses, doctors, techs, RTs, etc. in so many critical situations in a hospital environment is because each adds something. In a psychiatric or behavioral emergency (e.g., a behavioral code), many hospitals will bring in a team consisting of something along the lines of an ED Physician, Psychiatrist (or Psych NP), LCSW (or Psych Evaluator), Psych Tech/ED Tech, a Psych RN/ED RN, the pt's primary RN and the pt's primary mental health tech or CNA or some similar group of professionals. Each person adds a perspective. The docs obviously offer something the RNs and techs don't, likewise, a tech may offer something the doc can't (often this is experience working with these types of pts in direct care and/or having worked w/ this particular pt in the past). Using multiple people's perspectives and experiences can be very effective when it comes to providing optimal care.

I understand. But where did they the doctors learn to become doctors and where did the nurses learn to become nurses? They all learned this from medical / nursing school. They probably never even use what they learned in undergraduate. It almost seems like you're implying I wont be a good doctor just because my undergraduate major doesn't "contribute."

I don't understand why just because of my major I'm all of a sudden not going to be creative like a music student, analytical like a math major, or intelligent like a science student. Aren't my own unique beliefs/skills enough of a contribution to a medical school class? Or is my worth and potential now watered down to what major I choose?

I find that answer exponentially different from "Your major doesn't matter."

I understand. But where did they the doctors learn to become doctors and where did the nurses learn to become nurses? They all learned this from medical / nursing school. They probably never even use what they learned in undergraduate. It almost seems like you're implying I wont be a good doctor just because my undergraduate major doesn't "contribute."

I don't understand why just because of my major I'm all of a sudden not going to be creative like a music student, analytical like a math major, or intelligent like a science student. Aren't my own unique beliefs/skills enough of a contribution to a medical school class? Or is my worth and potential now watered down to what major I choose?

I find that answer exponentially different from "Your major doesn't matter."

What we're all telling you is your major does matter. When people say it doesn't matter, they are simplifying things. The truth is that it does matter, but most majors are of equal value. Since most majors are of equal value, the general rule is that this factor cancels itself out. In your specific case, several people in this thread are saying that we're unsure your [proposed?] major would stand on the same ground as these majors. It's not that "you'd be a horrible doctor," it's that someone else's background might make them a better doctor. Sure, it might not, but they've got one up on you. Pursuing a degree in something that is unlikely to contribute to your professional career basically means you're wasting 4 years of your life as an UG. The musician or philosopher has studied something that is likely to have provided for significant cognitive and academic growth. Vocational majors don't really do that as a general rule.

And sure, you could be creative, intelligent, and analytical, but your major doesn't provide much opportunity for evidence of these things. It puts you at a severe disadvantage to someone who's major program gave him/her a multitude of opportunities to perform, learn creativity, do research, etc. Furthermore, your coursework won't really give any evidence of these things. It's in how you sell yourself and how your major sells you. Like it or not, people are stereotyped by major. It's just sort of how it goes.

"It's not that "you'd be a horrible doctor," it's that someone else's background might make them a better doctor..."

Whoa whoa... thats a rather big statement considering neither of us have ever

A. Went to Medical School(!)
B. Done a residency / fellowship
C. Are actually....a doctor.

But I understand your point. Thank you for taking the time to tell me all of your beliefs. Its been really helpful :)

The reason i'm asking this is because I am seriously considering doing a Poultry Science major, ( I :love: chickens) but I don't want it to raise a red flag during admissions because it sounds a bit silly (even I acknowledge that!). However, since I assume medical school will be all work and no play, I want to enjoy my undergrad as much as I can by choosing a major that seems fun to me.

What do you think?

I actually spoke to an Orthopedic Surgeon who graduated from Columbia, and he said that med schools love to see applicants who aren't the typical science majors as long as they have the pre-reqs and are qualified. So don't worry about it, it could actually be something interesting for you to discuss come interview time, and you should obv major in something you like like poultry science (lol that was pretty good).

As with every question of this sort, it is important to recall that there is no consistent perspective on this among adcoms. In this case, for example, I'd be willing to bet that at schools near the OPs undergrad, the poultry science major would not be viewed negatively. The view might be different in some other parts of the country?

With that said, speaking only for myself, as an adcom with a few years of experience, I would not have the slightest negative response to a poultry science major. I'd probably spend the whole interview trying to learn which brands of eggs/types of chicken I should buy. I'd love it!:p

Of course, others might feel differently. I hope LizzyM weighs in on this (unless she did and I missed it...).

"It's not that "you'd be a horrible doctor," it's that someone else's background might make them a better doctor..."

Whoa whoa... thats a rather big statement considering neither of us have ever

A. Went to Medical School(!)
B. Done a residency / fellowship
C. Are actually....a doctor.

But I understand your point. Thank you for taking the time to tell me all of your beliefs. Its been really helpful :)

I do work professionally with physicians every day, though, in multiple capacities, so while I have not been there, I have seen how different people's backgrounds tend to play into their interactions as a part of a multidisciplinary team (in a hospital setting, specifically). This is also what I have been told by adcom members I've spoken with. Because of one of the positions I hold at the local university, I get to meet fairly regularly (1 on 1 and/or in small team meetings) with the director of admissions of a top 20 medical school. I'd also say that such a statement is sort of a natural outgrowth of what we have been discussing. It is akin to saying "a higher GPA or MCAT is advantageous because it might indicate you'll be more successful in medical school." Sure, it might not, but schools tend to accept it because, in their experience, students with MCAT scores above a certain level and those with higher GPAs generally do better. There are most certainly exceptions, but this has [presumably] been their experience.

I have heard at least one adcom member criticize a major that is considered "light weight" and I think that there might be some adcom members who would question a college senior (in other words, not a non-trad who is changing careers) who had a vocational major and doing pre-med at the same time as it appears that you are on the fence or not committed to medicine. On the other hand, some adcom members think highly of majors they consider very difficult (any kind of engineering comes to mind).

It is reasonable to recognize that more than 50% of the applicant pool does not get admitted in any given cycle and there are many who are never admitted (even after mutiple cycles).

I think that this is a difficult balancing act.

And sure, you could be creative, intelligent, and analytical, but your major doesn't provide much opportunity for evidence of these things. It puts you at a severe disadvantage to someone who's major program gave him/her a multitude of opportunities to perform, learn creativity, do research, etc. Furthermore, your coursework won't really give any evidence of these things. It's in how you sell yourself and how your major sells you. Like it or not, people are stereotyped by major. It's just sort of how it goes.
I agree. I kinda bought into the typical sdn advice of "major doesn't matter." At a couple of interviews I was asked why I picked my major and not a science major. Some times it was mere curiosity, but other times it seemed as if they were asking out of confusion or with derision. Is this going to keep me out of medical school? No, but it might affect where I end up.
So definitely major does matter, and if one chooses a "boring" science major they can at least rest assured that they won't be thought of as "light weights" as LizzyM (or her colleague) put it.

And yes relevance does matter. At 2 or 3 interviews I was asked how I thought my major would make me a better doctor. You'd think it shouldn't matter because undergrad is your last chance to pursue non-vocational interests, but it does.

Thank you everybody for all of the advice (Im basically being flooded with it)!

I am going to do some serious introspection on whether or not I should pursue a poultry science major and I hope my comments did not offend/annoy anybody. :)