Medical schools that still have mandatory lectures in the fall

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drducky.

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I get that some skills can only be learned in the lab, but having mandatory classroom lectures still right now blows my mind.

Do you think there will be ramifications if I skip mandatory lectures during this crisis? What would you do?

Members don't see this ad.

Amazing. Just obstinate stupidity. If it was me, I'd just sit in the back and study with headphones on.

I'm extremely risk averse, so I wouldn't risk skipping lectures if they have a policy affecting your grade or BS "professionalism", which I'm sure they do. In the unlikely case that they have no way of enforcing it, have at it.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I get that some skills can only be learned in the lab, but having mandatory classroom lectures still right now blows my mind.

Do you think there will be ramifications if I skip mandatory lectures during this crisis? What would you do?
In the midst of a pandemic, what penal colonies are having mandatory lectures?????

Name and shame!

Reactions: 5 users
Name and shame please!!

The culture of NOT naming and shaming needs to end - applies to medical school, residency, away rotations, work places etc. We are on an as-anonymous-as-you-want online message board

Reactions: 8 users
I am likely in a far higher density location for school than you but these are some of the things our school is doing:

- rapid turnaround pcr testing for those who have any symptoms at all +/- antibody testing
- quarantine for those coming from high risk states
- Provisioning proper PPE at all clinical sites and mandatory surgical mask policy
- enforced social distancing within housing
- minimizing unnecessary exposure risk including lectures/didactics/patient facing care (unless you are on rotation). Zero debate was had on this for the preclinical curriculum except for cadaver lab which will now be prosections +/- VR anatomy
- symptom tracker +/- temp checks system for rotation students

Reactions: 1 user
Back in spring, my school had mandatory Zoom lectures at 8am on professionalism topics (lol), and students were not happy.

OP, consider bring the issue up to your class leadership, as you won't be the only students think this way. Plus, who knows if schools are planning to open this fall given the recent increased number cases.

Tell them your concerns and end it with “ok well if I get covid and have a bad out come I am coming after you guys!”
Told that to the hospital admin over some bs they were trying to force me to do... they changed their tune fast.

Reactions: 2 users
Back in spring, my school had mandatory Zoom lectures at 8am on professionalism topics (lol), and students were not happy.

OP, consider bring the issue up to your class leadership, as you won't be the only students think this way. Plus, who knows if schools are planning to open this fall given the recent increased number cases.
Wow...some of my classmates moved back to the west coast after school went online. They would not have been happy with a 5:00 am zoom meeting!

• Wow
Amazing. Just obstinate stupidity. If it was me, I'd just sit in the back and study with headphones on.

I'm extremely risk averse, so I wouldn't risk skipping lectures if they have a policy affecting your grade or BS "professionalism", which I'm sure they do. In the unlikely case that they have no way of enforcing it, have at it.

We're gonna have assigned seating too so can't do that either lol

We're gonna have assigned seating too so can't do that either lol
Honestly I wouldn't freak out too much about it at this point. I think there's a very high likelihood that as COVID cases continue to balloon over the next month that plans may change.

Reactions: 1 users
This is an MD school??????????

In the US???????

And for honest-to-Gawd lectures? NOT TBLs or PBLs????
Goro's head is spinning like a radar mast!

It's a DO school. And yes, actually lectures lol

Another vote to name and shame. I would not, for a second, hesitate to get a doctor's note excusing you from BS mandatory lecture. Would. Not. Hesitate.

It’s LECOM, isn’t it?

Looks like the White House has other plans

“Mr. Trump also threatened to "cut off funding" to schools in another tweet Wednesday if they do not reopen in the fall.“

//www.npr.org/2020/07/08/888898194/trump-blasts-expensive-cdc-guidelines-for-reopening-schools

Last edited:
This is an MD school??????????

In the US???????

And for honest-to-Gawd lectures? NOT TBLs or PBLs????
Goro's head is spinning like a radar mast!

Goro, you should have been in Chicago at the Univ. of Illinois in Sept ‘73. It looked like we were all ( biggest USA class at that time) in the Roman Forum and all the guys were wearing ties!
( that lasted one day)

• Wow