Medical Schools Visit Dress Code (not-interview)

Started by Wtp007
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Wtp007

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

So I'm going to be visiting a few medical schools (to see campus and speak with admissions) in the coming month and was wondering exactly what to wear. I realize this may seem like a dumb question but I know things that I'm going to ask to figure more about the colleges and see which ones that would make them become higher on my list. I haven't seen a thread on this so I didn't know if people just didn't care or it is really obvious. Overall I just don't want them to somehow remember me when I'm applying and be like "that guy dressed like an idiot during a visit".


Let me know, thanks.
 
I've never gone on such a visit and have never had any friends do this either, but I'd assume sport coat/tie/khakis would be the norm for such events.

I get the impression that this is very informal/not a big deal.
 
I would just look polished. If you're meeting with admissions, then wear something with a collar. If you're just following students around or whatever, then just don't look like a slob.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I went to annual open houses for several years at the medical school I am currently attending. We had the opportunity to meet the dean of the medical school and the admissions dean. I always wore a collared button-down shirt and nice pants (no jacket). You don't need a suit, but don't go in faded jeans and T-shirt either.
 
Agreed, the visiting students at my university always have collared button down shirts and some type of nice pants. Not necessarily slacks, but long pants for sure. Hawaiian shirts and shorts don't count. 😛 As mentioned above, look polished, as people are unfortunately going to gauge your "doctor look."
 
gauge your "doctor look."

Agree with this. When you actually start medical school, you will be expected to look like a doctor (it is part of professionalism in the profession). This mean wearing long-sleeve button down, nice slacks, a tie, and a white-coat whenever you are doing clinicals, even if it is a 100 degrees outside 😛