Medical Science Liaisons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nightcrawleRx

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me more about MSL’s and exactly what their job entitles? I know they are usually hired by pharmaceutical companies as consultants and that the job originally was done by sales reps but has evolved to a more advanced type of profession. Therefore, from what I’ve read, most MSL’s have a PharmD and some have a PhD. Supposedly, the salary is comparable to retail pharmacists and possibly has more room for growth. Obviously, money isn’t the most important factor and as of right now I’d like to go into retail but that could definitely change before I graduate within the next three years. Any insight is greatly appreciated, thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

from Monster:

Job Title: R&D, PhD, Medical Science Liaison - Florida

Procter & Gamble Pharmaceuticals is seeking an individual with experience working as a medical liaison for our Medical Science Liaison position in Florida areas of Orlando, East Coast of Florida, Jacksonville to Miami.

Medical Science Liaisons educate key Thought Leaders on the latest scientific data and are expected to build relationships with these individuals. Medical Science Liaisons also identify key Thought Leaders and enroll them in P&G-sponsored educational activities/projects. They build medical education support for Procter & Gamble Pharmaceutical focus areas and their treatments and work with Continuing Medical Education (CME) sponsors to support CME programs.

Medical Science Liaisons work with approximately 50 healthcare professionals in a defined territory. They are expected to see about 2-3 office-based healthcare professionals per day. Medical Science Liaisons work out of an office in their home, and receive all required equipment — such as Company car and lap-top computer — from Procter & Gamble. We offer a competitive salary (no bonus or commission) and an excellent Company Benefits Program.

We are looking for someone who has medical liaison experience. Educational background required is Pharm.D, or Ph.D in life sciences. All applicants must have a valid drivers license, and be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident of the U.S., refugee, asylee, or temporary resident under the legalization program of the 1986 Immigration Act. P&G does not offer practical training positions nor sponsor foreign citizens to obtain work visa or permanent residency (except for certain highly specialized roles such as some R&D positions).

Must relocate to Orlando, Florida area.

Your credentials will be reviewed, and you will be contacted only if we find a sufficient match to justify further steps in the recruiting process.

from Monster:

Job Title: R&D, PhD, Medical Science Liaison - Florida

Procter & Gamble Pharmaceuticals is seeking an individual with experience working as a medical liaison for our Medical Science Liaison position in Florida areas of Orlando, East Coast of Florida, Jacksonville to Miami.

Medical Science Liaisons educate key Thought Leaders on the latest scientific data and are expected to build relationships with these individuals. Medical Science Liaisons also identify key Thought Leaders and enroll them in P&G-sponsored educational activities/projects. They build medical education support for Procter & Gamble Pharmaceutical focus areas and their treatments and work with Continuing Medical Education (CME) sponsors to support CME programs.

Medical Science Liaisons work with approximately 50 healthcare professionals in a defined territory. They are expected to see about 2-3 office-based healthcare professionals per day. Medical Science Liaisons work out of an office in their home, and receive all required equipment — such as Company car and lap-top computer — from Procter & Gamble. We offer a competitive salary (no bonus or commission) and an excellent Company Benefits Program.

We are looking for someone who has medical liaison experience. Educational background required is Pharm.D, or Ph.D in life sciences. All applicants must have a valid drivers license, and be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident of the U.S., refugee, asylee, or temporary resident under the legalization program of the 1986 Immigration Act. P&G does not offer practical training positions nor sponsor foreign citizens to obtain work visa or permanent residency (except for certain highly specialized roles such as some R&D positions).

Must relocate to Orlando, Florida area.

Your credentials will be reviewed, and you will be contacted only if we find a sufficient match to justify further steps in the recruiting process.

I am interested in this as well, how does someone get started in this area?

Members don't see this ad :)
From the one lecture I had from an MSL a year or two ago, the very very summarized gist I got was:

You talk to doctors/healthcare professionals/decision makers about drugs
You can use research and journal articles to promote your drug, as opposed to drug reps being limited to using just the packet insert...and as a corollary you should know a hell of a lot more about theraputics and etc...hence the need for pharm.d or PhD.
You get paid a hell of a lot of money (well, a little more than retail, I was quoted starting at 120) and get good perks
You have to have a great personality and know how to influence people

The pharmaceutical companies like someone with a PharmD/MD degree.

I'm sure they'd *love* someone with an MD/Pharm.D, but really, how prevalent is that?

Does working in retail meet the experience requirement or is it better to try and work in sales first?

Does working in retail meet the experience requirement or is it better to try and work in sales first?

It might depend on the company, but I know Pfizer requires a residency and about 5 years clinical experience.

What I know about it is that it is a hard position to get. You are required to travel a lot. And they like to hire people with clinical experience and pharmaceutical industry experience. Here is a website that has a lot of info.

http://www.msliq.com/

There is a fellowship/Residency that may help you get your foot in the door. It is offered by Rutgers.

The pharmaceutical industry is all about knowing the right people. That is it. I think that you would have to be a PharmD student at Rutgers to get this job.

Believe me, I am in statistics and I know this is the way it works. It is all about advisor strength / recommendation in my area. That is it.

I know people who have got into this fellowship and don't go to Rutgers. Yes it is true for any profession that the more you network the more opportunities come your way. So instead of taking a negative attitude you could just try to get to know people and form you own connections. Sometimes all it takes is an email.