Medical Science Liasons (MSLs)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Rutgers2015

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all!

I was just curious on how a Pharm.D. becomes an MSL, is it always by way of fellowship or can you just go to a pharmaceutical company and ask to be one and they train you on the job? Also, I believe MSLs specialize in a certain area, but does that mean a certain drug, a certain class of drugs, or what exactly? Finally, any other relevant info about MSLs would be appreciated! It's just something that caught my attention recently and I wanted more info 🙂

As always, thanks for taking the time to answer! Have a great day 🙂
 
Every now and then I'll get a patient with an odd question about a drug that isn't in the package insert, and I'll give the manufacturer a call. The MSL's have always been super knowledgeable and helpful. Seems like a cool thing to do, although I'd probably get sick of talking about the same few drugs over and over.
 
Hello all!

I was just curious on how a Pharm.D. becomes an MSL, is it always by way of fellowship or can you just go to a pharmaceutical company and ask to be one and they train you on the job? Also, I believe MSLs specialize in a certain area, but does that mean a certain drug, a certain class of drugs, or what exactly? Finally, any other relevant info about MSLs would be appreciated! It's just something that caught my attention recently and I wanted more info 🙂

As always, thanks for taking the time to answer! Have a great day 🙂

Like someone has mentioned before, most MSL's are experienced clinicians - most are physicians or pharmacists with a lot of clinical knowledge and expertise. The typical way to become an MSL is to complete a fellowship - the Rutgers Industry Fellowship has a couple of positions every year. They are two-year fellowships and very competitive.

MSL typically falls under the "medical affairs" branch of the pharmaceutical industry. A lot of what you will be doing is managing relationships with physicians and clinicians in your specific territory. Depending on the company, you will typically specialize in a therapeutic class or specific drug (depends on the budget, how big the drug is, how many products the company has in a class, etc.)

Some other interesting facts:
(1) you will most likely NOT be based in an office - you will make your own hours and can work from home.
(2) a key aspect of your job will be developing KOL's (key opinion leaders), managing partnerships, and keeping track of investigator initiated trials

As a Rutgers student, I suggest you take the pharmaceutical industry elective if it is offered this spring. Send me a PM if you want more info - I'm at Rutgers as well 🙂