Medical Scribe Programs in NorCal/BayArea

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orenzii

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

I have scoured these forums and google for medical scribe programs in the Bay Area and have only come up with a single program at EMScribeSystems that currently has no positions available. I see a lot of programs open down in SoCal, but that's a bit out of my range. Is it just me or is there a dearth of medical scribe programs in the Bay Area? Could someone please help point me in the right direction by listing any other medical scribe programs that they know of or are working for in the Bay Area?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There is a program beginning in the fall at UCSF. I don't have all the details yet but can keep you posted.

Trying contacting the local EDs. Go in and ask the docs. That's how you find out about these companies. Some programs are run by the physicians' groups themselves.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did a program based from Stanford at the ED in Santa Clara Medical Valley Center. It is a year program where you can become an interpretor (Spanish or Vietnamese) or just a regular intern where you can help scribe and help where is needed. But the primary job is to allow shadowing ad learning from your assigned a physician in the ER. you follow around for the whole shift and get to go into the patient room for all cases.

The program is called Student Clinical Opportunity for Premed Experience (SCOPE) http://scope.beagooddoctor.org/home/

Check it out!

PhysAssist is doing a good amount of expanding right now, you could get in touch with them to see if they have any plans.

iamscribe

com

ugh it wouldn't let me post the link

Hmmm...interesting you are not interested in investing $2,000 in your own education for an opportunity to earn significantly more money, be better prepared to work as a Scribe and more attractive to a medical school.

If I were a medical school Admissions Director I think I would be more impressed with someone who took the initiative; not necessarily someone who always takes the easy way! Just me.

But you're not a medical school admissions director... And some people don't have $2000 to spend on scribe training.

Oh and there's no promise of employment... so $2000 could be wasted on nothing. Baaaaasically, your logic is completely flawed.

Hmmm...interesting you are not interested in investing $2,000 in your own education for an opportunity to earn significantly more money, be better prepared to work as a Scribe and more attractive to a medical school.

If I were a medical school Admissions Director I think I would be more impressed with someone who took the initiative; not necessarily someone who always takes the easy way! Just me.

If one is going to spend $1k (much less $2k) on training for a better job, EMT-B or EMT-I would be a better route as it offers direct pt care AND generally pays much better (with an ED Tech or CC Tech position). Further, why pay when you don't have to? Most scribing programs train you OTJ. There is no need for some special online training program. What are you going to learn anyway? Most of my job as a scribe was to put in orders into our computer system. Everyone's system is different and everyone's individual orders are different. You have to learn to work quickly on the fly and with few to no mistakes. Knowing that a CP means order a Troponin doesn't do you much good if you don't know WHICH Troponin to order (ED1, ED2, Nursing, Lab, [nonspecific], etc.).

Bumping this, as I seem to be having a tough time finding them as well. Will try calling ERs tomorrow.