Medical Scribe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YungGeezy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking into applying for a medical scribe position for my gap year but most of the openings I've seen require a year of experience. Does anyone recommend I try to get certified with either Scribe Solutions or Scribe America in order to increase my chances of getting hired? Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Looking into applying for a medical scribe position for my gap year but most of the openings I've seen require a year of experience. Does anyone recommend I try to get certified with either Scribe Solutions or Scribe America in order to increase my chances of getting hired? Thoughts?
You don't get certified with ScribeAmerica independently. They hire you and then certify you.

That being said, you seem to be operating in a completely different market than most of SDN, because I've never heard anyone, on here or otherwise, talk about needing experience for a scribe application. That's the main beauty of applying for a scribe job: it requires no certs, degrees, or prior experience.

Reactions: 1 user
You don't get certified with ScribeAmerica independently. They hire you and then certify you.

That being said, you seem to be operating in a completely different market than most of SDN, because I've never heard anyone, on here or otherwise, talk about needing experience for a scribe application. That's the main beauty of applying for a scribe job: it requires no certs, degrees, or prior experience.

That's what I thought as well but honestly I would say about 90% of the openings I've seen for my area require some sort of experience

Members don't see this ad :)
That's what I thought as well but honestly I would say about 90% of the openings I've seen for my area require some sort of experience

You don't Need experience but at an interview it sure helps when they ask well why do you want to be a scribe/what experience you have that makes you fit for a scribe job. The biggest hurdle I've seen scribes struggle with isn't speed but rather its medical terminology. Having a very very rudimentary understanding of anatomy/physio/micro will only help (though not requires) and will definitely enhance your experience.

I'd suggest finding something else to do with your gap year. Looking at glassdoor, average wage for these things are ~$10/hr. You could tutor for the MCAT for 4 hrs/day on weekends and make that amount. I suggest you get involved in research, or get yourself on a career path in case the application cycle is not generous to you.