Medical service trips abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ipod01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there, i am interested in doing a medical service trip abroad. I am currently looking at ISL. I am looking at the Costa RIca or tanzania trips over the summer. I am really interested in going in a trip like that abroad but i am having doubts whether it would be worth it. I mean it is so short just for two weeks and it is pretty costly. I would like to stay there for longer and get to really help out in the clinics and learn the techniques hands on.
I don't know if ISL program lets you do this and whether it was really worth it? Did you have a lot to do while you were there? Do you guys feel like you got a lot out of it? Can you tell me about your experiences?

ANd also if you know of any other organizations that send UG students, plz let me know.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you don't do fundraising, you are going to have to pay out of your own pocket for many of the trips.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have any experience with ISL, but i have friends who have gone on service trips with projects-abroad.org and had good things to say about it. The only trips I've done have been a week or so long (over spring break), and I think the trips have been worth it, but would definitely rather go for a longer period of time. Personally, I love to travel which is another reason why i find the trips appealing.

It's really up to you to decide whether or not a trip would be worth it. They're costly, so if money is really tight at the moment, it might not be the best time to make the trip. I've always had unforgettable/incredible trips that have been worth the money.

This trip = bad idea

If you are doing this as a resume booster, you are wasting your time. Adcoms know these are paid trips and that they are BS.

If you are doing this because you really want to do something meaningful, wait until you are in med school. They will have lots of opportunities like this...except they are worthwhile.

I was looking at this same trip...I can't decide either!

Haha, like two weeks ago i was pretty sure i wanted to do this program but now i am so and so...I am not trying to do this just to show it to the adcoms. I am really interested in going on a program like this but i am not sure if the two week trips through isl is worth the 2000 bucks. If anyone can provide their experiences about stuff they did like participated in a surgery or something, that would be great.

And physicgirl27, are u planning on going this summer as well??? Where are you headed, costa rica or tanzania?

This trip = bad idea

If you are doing this as a resume booster, you are wasting your time. Adcoms know these are paid trips and that they are BS.

If you are doing this because you really want to do something meaningful, wait until you are in med school. They will have lots of opportunities like this...except they are worthwhile.

Are you saying the Adcoms don't like paid trips ?

I have found that many trips that seem meaningful require the people to pay to participate.

Are you saying the Adcoms don't like paid trips ?

I have found that many trips that seem meaningful require the people to pay to participate.
It's not that they don't like them (certainly, "investing" to help others abroad is far better than doing nothing at all). Rather, it seems that they are wary of considering such trips as being truly generous to populations in need and as being true indicators of one's "altruistic spirit." There are several reasons for this. For one, it costs hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars just to transport the volunteer from the US to the country in question. There is a large carbon footprint associated with such travel, and not a cent of that money goes to the needy populations (consider what, say, $1000 could do for an impoverished village in terms of sustenance or medical supplies...) Also, one's ability to pay for such a trip is likely to be dependent on luck (having the resources at one's disposal) and free time (some are simply too busy to squeeze in such a trip). In addition, given that the duration of these trips tends to be quite short, the volunteer is unlikely to accomplish anything that will afford long-term benefits to the population in question. Finally, the responsibilities that a volunteer is likely to be given will generally entail little more than, say, handing out supplies or comforting patients. These are certainly important tasks, but given the steep price tag and lack of time, it just doesn't strike me as being worth it.

I personally believe that there are far better things that could be done with such money and time if one is looking to be generous/supportive towards the needy. For example, why not instead spend several weeks hosting a fundraiser to send money directly to populations in need? Or, donate your money to an organization that has well-established roots in an area of interest, since they will not need to spend all of that money on travel and can put it to better use with greater efficiency and haste. Or, why not just stay in the United States and - for a fraction of the money - travel to one of its many needy areas (yes, they do exist here) and volunteer there. You'll have just as much of an impact as you would in, say, Costa Rica, at a fraction of a cost and with a smaller carbon footprint.

Now, having written all that, I will still say that - if you are interested in a medical trip abroad for reasons unrelated to your medical school application (IE: language skills, seeing a new culture, exploring the world, etc...) and you have money to burn, then go ahead and travel; that is your prerogative. I might also say the same if you're fortunate enough to have the trip be funded for you by some sort of organization. Just don't go there, return, and expect adcoms to fawn over you during the application process because of your decision, because they won't. And (this is a personal opinion that I am injecting) please don't go because you think you'll get more "hands-on" experience in a medical setting (IE: being allowed to participate in surgeries). Strict medical rules exist here in the US for a reason, and I've never been fond of the idea of going abroad to places just so one can exploit lax standards and satisfy their medical jollies. Patients anywhere in the world deserve the same standards, and if you don't have a background that allows you to safely and effectively participate in medical procedures, don't do it anywhere, even if they'd allow it. You'll have plenty of opportunities to do that once you're in medical school, both in the US and abroad, in a far better way.

I can comment on this.

A couple summers ago I went on an ISL trip to Costa Rica and Nicaragua. One week in CR and one week in Nicaragua. It was definitely an expensive trip but, in my opinion, it was well worth it. I had a great time, met some great people and will look back in it with fond memories for the rest of my life.

I'm not sure if all of the trips are set up the same but we didn't participate in any surgeries or even set foot in any hospitals or actual established clinics. We set up neighborhood clinics in churches and saw patients from the surrounding areas. Our job (pre-med students) was to triage - take histories, vitals, etc. (It really helps to speak spanish, but this trip also helped me to improve my spanish). The local doctors then examined and diagnosed while discussing their methods and reasoning with us. Kind of like what you would see when you first start doing clinical rotations.

We had time to do some touristy stuff too. We were able to go out at night and we went hiking one day and did a canopy tour another day. Did some shopping as well.

It was INCREDIBLY hot, muggy and uncomfortable the entire time. Just a warning.

I have had pretty much every interviewer ask me about this trip. But, I think some people feel that they can go on this type of trip and really boost their application. However, trips like these are a dime a dozen and tons of students go each year. It doesnt help your application shine THAT much, I dont think. But still, it was a great trip and if I had to do it all over again, I would.

Like the guy above me said, if youre just looking for some medical/clinical-ish experience, I would look a little closer to home. But if you want a pretty cool cultural experience and enjoy traveling and seeing new places and people - go for it!

If you just want to go abroad, a medical spanish course might be more worth your time. The cost will be similar and you'll get some valuable language skills out of it. Typically you'll have 4 hours of spanish classes every morning with a group of students (medical and non-medical) and then a couple of days a week you'll spend a few hours observing a local doctor. I did this (regular program, not medical) for just a week at Adventure Education Center in Costa Rica and it was an amazing experience.

Also, I think you'll find that if you just establish yourself in a given community you'll find plenty of opportunities to help. I went to Costa Rica on a volunteer teaching trip and wound up leaving the organization I was volunteering for because there were problems with it (I can elaborate if you want but the short story is that I will be very, very cautious about any "volunteer vacation" opportunities in the future). What I found is that just going out at night, talking to locals and expats, and reading local publications, I found tons of opportunities to help. Central America isn't like the US where there's a lot of bureaucratic resistance to someone just jumping into a school or whatever and offering their assistance. The catch is that if you just want to go abroad for two weeks, this isn't really an option -- you have to put in the time, be seen in the community, be likeable, be outgoing and culturally adaptable, etc.

A third option is to do a non-medical volunteering program. You can do a lot of help in conservation and national parks type projects, because there are no special skills required besides being in decent shape. While I wouldn't recommend the organization I worked with (ASVO) the school there definitely needed help -- the students wouldn't receive English lessons without volunteers -- and I felt like my work was important. In fact, I would have paid my own room and board locally and worked at the school on my own if I didn't think the volunteer organization would interfere.

Are you guys saying that medical trips play no significant role in med school admission ?

ipod01--yes, I'm thinking about the Costa Rica trip this summer, or the one that gonnahappen is talking about (the CR, Nicaragua one).

But I really can't decide. I enjoy traveling and it seems like an awesome opportunity but I don't know if I have the money for it.

Gonnahappen--when i was reading about isl they make it seem pretty handson, is that so?

Are you guys saying that medical trips play no significant role in med school admission ?

No. I'm sure they play a role. As I mentioned, I was asked about my trip in every interview.

*Edit:

Gonnahappen--when i was reading about isl they make it seem pretty handson, is that so?

Thinking back, I guess it was fairly hands-on. It was much more hands on than any experience I had gotten at home up until that point. I think some of it will depend on the doctors that you work with and their willingness to get you involved.

Last edited:

Obviously it'll depend on the individuals reviewing your application, but other than giving you something to write a personal statement about, 2 weeks volunteering experience isn't that valuable, domestic or international. They want to see a commitment to the underserved and exposure to different cultures, which can definitely be shown through international volunteering -- but you just aren't going to accomplish much in two weeks as an unqualified pre-med student. If you volunteered at your local hospital for just 2 weeks that would be virtually useless on an application, and they aren't going to give you a ton of credit just because you did this volunteering abroad. If you go for an extended period of time, that's different -- you can actually make a difference that way, especially if you establish yourself in the community then seek out organizations that need help or you volunteer in an area that you actually have the skills to be a valuable asset in (if you're premed this is probably teaching, conservation, building homes, etc, rather than medicine).

And this is just me, but if I found out someone paid for their 2 week "medical" volunteering trip by fundraising, I'd be tempted to throw their application out immediately. If you're a surgeon who is going to fix children's cleft palates while you're abroad, go ahead, take donations. If you're going to be building people homes for 10 hours a day while you're abroad, take donations. But don't ask other people to help pay your transportation, room, and board so you can go hand out bandaids or take histories in a tropical locale rather than at home.

(Sorry if that was a little rantish. I just think it's absolutely ridiculous that people think asking for donations is an acceptable way to pay for their alternative spring breaks, voluntourism, mission trip to Thailand, and other euphemisms for "vacation.")

All that said, I highly recommend going abroad. I had a great time in Costa Rica and the kids in my class and the people I met just out and about were awesome. But just don't expect a lot of credit for it from adcoms, because let's face it, hanging out in the tropics for a few weeks doesn't require a lot of sacrifice! And don't ask other people to pay for it.

I can comment on this.

A couple summers ago I went on an ISL trip to Costa Rica and Nicaragua. One week in CR and one week in Nicaragua. It was definitely an expensive trip but, in my opinion, it was well worth it. I had a great time, met some great people and will look back in it with fond memories for the rest of my life.

I'm not sure if all of the trips are set up the same but we didn't participate in any surgeries or even set foot in any hospitals or actual established clinics. We set up neighborhood clinics in churches and saw patients from the surrounding areas. Our job (pre-med students) was to triage - take histories, vitals, etc. (It really helps to speak spanish, but this trip also helped me to improve my spanish). The local doctors then examined and diagnosed while discussing their methods and reasoning with us. Kind of like what you would see when you first start doing clinical rotations.

We had time to do some touristy stuff too. We were able to go out at night and we went hiking one day and did a canopy tour another day. Did some shopping as well.

It was INCREDIBLY hot, muggy and uncomfortable the entire time. Just a warning.

I have had pretty much every interviewer ask me about this trip. But, I think some people feel that they can go on this type of trip and really boost their application. However, trips like these are a dime a dozen and tons of students go each year. It doesnt help your application shine THAT much, I dont think. But still, it was a great trip and if I had to do it all over again, I would.

Like the guy above me said, if youre just looking for some medical/clinical-ish experience, I would look a little closer to home. But if you want a pretty cool cultural experience and enjoy traveling and seeing new places and people - go for it!

I completely agree until the bolded sentence above. I did the same trip as you.....loved it....would do it again.....it opened my mind to mission work....etc. However, I had literally every interview (approx. 10 schools I think....its been 3 years) talk about this mission trip and how amazing of an experience it was. The faculty that interviewed me were often blown away by the experience (I'd say 90%). Maybe I got lucky, maybe the faculty I got haven't heard the stories, who knows.

All I know is that the mission trips and associated stories seemed to shock a majority of the faculty I talked with. I'd definitely do the mission trip again if it was me.

you want to volunteer your time to a poor community? Try inner-city clinics then take it from there. I suggest NYC- particularly the south Bronx. PM me ill hook you up with the digits.