Medical Student Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Well I just finished my first year of med school and will start my second year in January. I very very interested in Anesthesiology; my uncle is an anesthesiologist and I have shadowed him and find it really cool. I know that I ll never 100% know for sure untill I do a few rotations, but I feel as though I am very interested in Anesthesia.

So far I have pulled above average grades, mainly B+s (which count as B's bc my school doesnt do + or -) and a few A's, but mainly just Bs. I go to St. Georges University so I will be considered an FMG (I am a US citizen and was born in the US so no VISA problems) meaning that I will have more of an uphill battle than will American students. Though SGU does match pretty well in Anesthesia year to year (dont really know what type of students these were though..).

Do you guys have any advice? Should I do some sort of research or something? Will a good USMLE and good rotations be enough to open doors? It would be cool to go somewhere mid-tier, but I would still be very happy with a lower-tier program. Location isnt my biggest concern.

What do people do who dont match? A year of research? Scrambe and do a year of medicine and then reapply?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

Well I just finished my first year of med school and will start my second year in January. I very very interested in Anesthesiology; my uncle is an anesthesiologist and I have shadowed him and find it really cool. I know that I ll never 100% know for sure untill I do a few rotations, but I feel as though I am very interested in Anesthesia.

So far I have pulled above average grades, mainly B+s (which count as B's bc my school doesnt do + or -) and a few A's, but mainly just Bs. I go to St. Georges University so I will be considered an FMG (I am a US citizen and was born in the US so no VISA problems) meaning that I will have more of an uphill battle than will American students. Though SGU does match pretty well in Anesthesia year to year (dont really know what type of students these were though..).

Do you guys have any advice? Should I do some sort of research or something? Will a good USMLE and good rotations be enough to open doors? It would be cool to go somewhere mid-tier, but I would still be very happy with a lower-tier program. Location isnt my biggest concern.

What do people do who dont match? A year of research? Scrambe and do a year of medicine and then reapply?

I think at this point, you should focus on doing well on Step 1. Also, you should search to see which program is FMG friendly, but focus on step 1 is umero uno right now. Research would be a plus, but not necessary. Most people that do not match usually do a prelim year and then reapply next year. Good luck, and rock that step 1.:thumbup:

I think at this point, you should focus on doing well on Step 1. Also, you should search to see which program is FMG friendly, but focus on step 1 is umero uno right now. Research would be a plus, but not necessary. Most people that do not match usually do a prelim year and then reapply next year. Good luck, and rock that step 1.:thumbup:

hi OP, MS4 here, well into the interview season.

I agree with NONSTEMI.

Focus on STEP 1.

Members don't see this ad :)
in order:

1. if you want to go anywhere other than a really ****ty program you should get 225-230+ on step one. the higher the better. i can't overemph. the importance of this number.

2. DO some anesthesia related research. yes, it will help you. academic programs (Chairs) would LOVE to get residents who are actually interested in research. if you show real interest and early participation, it will help

3. letters - do away rotations. these will help you or hurt you. this depends on
a. your personality - laid back, not pushy, offers to help, knows something, knows when to STAY out of the way (this lets us know that you understand how important what we do is and that you know WHEN we're doing the important stuff). i would WAIT until people offer you procedures. i HATE it when med students bump me out of the way to intubate. or blow the ONLY vein before i get to holding...
b. your "charisma" people either have it or they don't.

in order:

1. if you want to go anywhere other than a really ****ty program you should get 225-230+ on step one. the higher the better. i can't overemph. the importance of this number.

I unequivocally disagree w/this. Of course, higher board scores are better (duh) but I for one do not believe all the "hype" that surrounds anesthesia every year. Some programs have cut offs and are going to shut you out but you can match at a pretty darn program w/avergae board score (and below average scores if you play your cards right).

Now I just went back and actually read the whole thread and have to temper my response by saying that yes you probably do need those board scores if you are a FMG. My response is aimed at US grads.

:cool:

i will probably have 2 abstracts published by the time i apply for eras....caveat is that it is not in anesthesia...it is instead in Sleep Medicine (irony?). That just happened to be the field i was offered work in when i started my internal med rotation and i jumped on the first ship that sailed in. Is it going to matter? I mean research is research right? Or am i being a forum noob once again?

any kind of research is good. i can't count how many times my interviewers asked me to tell him/her more about the research I did in undergrad, and it was on protein profiles of blue green algae.

yea if u apply to 30 programs u dont have worry about matching. there are plenty of spots for US grads

Don't worry about it too much.

Life happens. If you don't get a spot in anesthesia, it will not be the end of the world.

Just have a backup plan. Thats what i did. It was anesthesia and it worked out just fine.

Hope this helps.