Medical Student EMS Electives

Started by Fox800
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Fox800

Welcome to Costco. I love you.
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all. I'm a medical student who worked as a paramedic for a few years before medical school. I'm very interested in becoming an EMS medical director down the line.

I know that EMS just recently became accredited as an ABMS fellowship. On VSAS, I saw EMS rotations for medical students at UNM, WVU, UNC, UTHSCSA, and UNC. Has anyone done any of these EMS electives or can anyone comment about how good they are? Any recommendations about where to go, or if a LOR from an EMS elective would be beneficial on the interview trail?

Thank you in advance.
 
EMS LOR is better than nothing but worse than a SLOR from a Sub-I/AI. You need face time with attendings/residents on shift to show you're pleasant to work with (combination of competence and personality). EMS isn't going to give you a lot of opportunity to do so...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Don't do an EMS elective for a LOR. As noted already, its better than nothing, but SLOEs are the "gold standard".

That being said, UNM has an amazing rotation in July - it's their orientation month for their fellows and involves lots of cool activities. Highly recommended.
 
Don't do an EMS elective for a LOR. As noted already, its better than nothing, but SLOEs are the "gold standard".

That being said, UNM has an amazing rotation in July - it's their orientation month for their fellows and involves lots of cool activities. Highly recommended.
Ohhh....ok. thanks for clarifying. I thought there was something wrong with doing it in Philly. I have one set up with Drexel for next month,but it's not for a SLOE, just for fun. My only other option that I got offered was UF Gainesville

Sent from my SM-G930T using SDN mobile
 
hey! may i ask what your EMS month was like at Drexel...I'm signed up for one later in the year and wanted to know what to expect as it's during interview season. thanks!
 
Ohhh....ok. thanks for clarifying. I thought there was something wrong with doing it in Philly. I have one set up with Drexel for next month,but it's not for a SLOE, just for fun. My only other option that I got offered was UF Gainesville

Sent from my SM-G930T using SDN mobile

hey! may i ask what your EMS month at Drexel was like? i have one set up for later in the year and wanted to know what to expect. thanks so much!