Medical Student Summer Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

auferstehen92

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm considering joining a summer research project before I start medical school in July, but I'm unsure whether or not this would be the best use of my time. What do you all think? Is it better to wait until M2 summer to join a project, especially if the research is not in an area that you want to specialize? I want to be proactive, but I'm also not eager to end my current lease and lose out on potential income from my job.
 
Your best use of your time at this point would be to relax. Your opportunites for high quality research will only grow in medical school, and can then be tailored more closely to your desired specialty. Once medical school starts, it starts fast, take the time now to enjoy your free time. For more tips on starting medical school - check out - lifeofamedstudent.com/2016/08/14/5-tips-for-starting-medical-school - Good luck!