Medical Student switching to Dental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KatieG0032

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I am a current second year medical student, and after MUCH contemplation I have decided that medicine is not the right career path for me. I am planning on leaving school and applying for dental school in the upcoming application cycle. My plan right now is to finish out my 2nd year, and instead of studying for the boards- study for the DAT and put in my dental applications instead.

I was just wondering if anyone here did anything similar, or knows anyone in their class that did? Did you find that the dental school application committees looked down on the fact that you had been in med school, and then decided to switch? I have done well in medical school- passing, high passing or honoring all of my classes- so that shouldn’t be an issue. Also, I was wondering how similar the 1st 2 years of dent school are to med? The classes that I have taken are:

Year 1- gross anatomy, cell biology, physiology, biochemistry, neuro 1.
Year 2- pharmacology, microbiology, pathology, neuro 2.

I would appreciate any advice esp. from anyone who has done this/who knows someone who has successfully done this! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all! I am a current second year medical student, and after MUCH contemplation I have decided that medicine is not the right career path for me. I am planning on leaving school and applying for dental school in the upcoming application cycle. My plan right now is to finish out my 2nd year, and instead of studying for the boards- study for the DAT and put in my dental applications instead.

I was just wondering if anyone here did anything similar, or knows anyone in their class that did? Did you find that the dental school application committees looked down on the fact that you had been in med school, and then decided to switch? I have done well in medical school- passing, high passing or honoring all of my classes- so that shouldn't be an issue. Also, I was wondering how similar the 1st 2 years of dent school are to med? The classes that I have taken are:

I would appreciate any advice esp. from anyone who has done this/who knows someone who has successfully done this! Thanks!

It's strongly frowned upon to switch midway. Some schools have institutional policies against accepting those who withdrew from their previous school, regardless of what field it was in.

Columbia has a program where they accept medical students, so look into them. You may be able to transfer credits in and do 3 years of dental instead. Other than that, you'll have a more difficult time getting into dental school than you would normally.

The courses are the same but in less depth. In place of depth, you spend time in the clinic drilling and making stuff.

If u don't mind me asking. Why the sudden change of heart? And what is it that dentistry has to fulfill what u are looking for?

As for the difference in curriculum, many schools focus more on the head and neck. However there are many schools such as stonybrook uconn and Columbia where the first two years are spent at the medical school. Taking the same class and exams

Members don't see this ad :)

I was just wondering if anyone here did anything similar, or knows anyone in their class that did? Did you find that the dental school application committees looked down on the fact that you had been in med school, and then decided to switch? I have done well in medical school- passing, high passing or honoring all of my classes- so that shouldn't be an issue. Also, I was wondering how similar the 1st 2 years of dent school are to med? The classes that I have taken are:

from someone that has done both medical and dental school, if i were you, i would stick with medicine. medicine is a much broader field and you will be more likely to find an area that you will find interest in compared to dentistry. plus, you haven't even gone through 3rd year, so your exposure to medicine is extremely limited, so don't give up just yet.

I was just wondering if anyone here did anything similar, or knows anyone in their class that did? Did you find that the dental school application committees looked down on the fact that you had been in med school, and then decided to switch? ...

Huge move. Very big deal. If I were you I'd find a friend on an admission's cmte first ( like a dean) , preferably where you want to go to dental school. Make sure its someone who feels you from the go. Then seek some sort of mentorship or career advice. Not all will do this for you, but if you are far enough out and haven't applied yet then they are more likely to talk with you. Once you've applied they can't do this because its not fair to other applicants... go as someone who is modest but sincerely interested in their profession. Get their opinion on your educational background and try and develop a relationship. I just think with so much invested you want to try and do this first.

Dentistry is a great profession, some may think its limited but honestly I'll keep busy my whole life as a GP--there is so much I want to learn and will likely have to scale back my scope just to be competent-- that should tell you there is plenty of room to find an interest--- but you have to like teeth and the supporting tissues to be a DDS/DMD.

I know 2 men who have left medical school, for dental school.

Both are much happier.

I do not believe in sticking with something, if in fact you are not satisfied (and truly feel that you will continue to be less-than-satisfied).

If you want to spend 5+ years doing medical school which you express a dislike for -- only to fulfill some baseless mantra of 'finish what you start' -- go ahead. In that reasoning, we should have never left Vietnam (35,000 US soldiers died), and should never leave Iraq. Obviously, this is not a maxim that can last.

Personally, I suggest:

1.) going and doing ~10 hours / week of shadowing at a few different dental clinics. They will want you to be there more, but don't do more than 10hrs/week per clinic. This permits your seeing how more clinics function, different patient populations, etc.

2.) Read the ADA Newsletter (usually find many copies in dental offices lying around, or read it online -- but I like the printed copy more). I think it's a great publication.

3.) Read the medical resident forums to find out further what you are in for. Compare this with dentistrs practicing in the area you see yourself going into. Compare the positives, and negatives, then GO FOR IT!

4.) Observe that physicians more often have their kids go into dentistry. Consider reasons for this.

Life is short. Short such that I disagree with doing something you are unhappy with for great periods of time -- unhappy doctors do not treat patients well interpersonally or medically. Care for thy self!

PM me for any additional questions.

If you want to spend 5+ years doing medical school which you express a dislike for -- only to fulfill some baseless mantra of 'finish what you start' -- go ahead."

I couldnt agree more. Especially given the circumstances. If you were considering switching to, say, professional crack smoker, I might suggest you "finish what you start". In this case, there is no reason to finish if you are indeed unhappy (especially if it is not a fleeting emotion)

4.) Observe that physicians more often have their kids go into dentistry. Consider reasons for this.

That is my personal circumstance but do you have evidence for such a claim?

Medical school is neither a war nor smoking crack. However, the first two years of medical school is very much like...surprise, surprise...the first two years of dental school!!!! If you can't deal with the first two years of medical school, then dental school isn't going to be different for you. Dental school is medical school with a bunch of boring-ass lab work. At first, the clinical aspect of dentistry's cool. After a while, it's ZZZzzzzzzz.......

Finish medical school then apply to Columbia's advanced standing dental program.

If you want to spend 5+ years doing medical school which you express a dislike for -- only to fulfill some baseless mantra of 'finish what you start' -- go ahead. In that reasoning, we should have never left Vietnam (35,000 US soldiers died), and should never leave Iraq. Obviously, this is not a maxim that can last.

Since you seem to be tickled pink with your Vietnam/Iraq analogy more power to you. For the record, it appears you lost a few casualties from Vietnam since the final toll was more than 58K. Medical and dental schools have a limited number of candidates they can accept and are not particularly happy with any degree of attrition. Two years into ds , the applicant in question might decide that, after all, he/she is not particularly thrilled with dentistry and has become infatuated with another field- podiatry, optometry, law. Just as dental school is not dentistry- medical school is not medicine. Combined degrees, on the other hand, are usually not out of vogue.

Last edited:
It is typically frowned upon from what I hear, but it can happen. There is a guy in my class who dropped out of med school at the end of 2nd year. Took a year off to continue some of his PhD research and applied to dental school. He just got graduated with his PhD in December. I don't know how much that helped him in his situation, but I imagine it didn't hurt.

Since you seem to be tickled pink with your Vietnam/Iraq analogy more power to you. For the record, it appears you lost a few casualties from Vietnam since the final toll was more than 58K. Medical and dental schools have a limited number of candidates they can accept and are not particularly happy with any degree of attrition. Two years into ds , the applicant in question might decide that, after all, he/she is not particularly thrilled with dentistry and has become infatuated with another field- podiatry, optometry, law. Just as dental school is not dentistry- medical school is not medicine. Combined degrees, on the other hand, are usually not out of vogue.

Why're you so sarcastic...all of your posts are so negative that I can't help to call you out. Aren't you supposed to be an educated individual? Professional even?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why're you so sarcastic...all of your posts are so negative that I can't help to call you out. Aren't you supposed to be an educated individual? Professional even?

Sarcasm may be preferable to personal attacks or to invitations for a re enactment of the OK corral.

Sarcasm may be preferable to personal attacks

All you haters need to respect Dr. toothache. He is a real live dentist, according to his status. Sure we don't know what school he graduated from or whether he actually is practicing somewhere but since he has over 1000 posts he has the right to spend all day on SDN and be critical of whoever he wants. I hope that after I get my DMD I can be like Dr. toothache and slam pre-meds, Canadians, and anyone else who rubs me the wrong way.

To the original poster: Good luck with you plans.

All you haters need to respect Dr. toothache. He is a real live dentist, according to his status. Sure we don't know what school he graduated from or whether he actually is practicing somewhere but since he has over 1000 posts he has the right to spend all day on SDN and be critical of whoever he wants. I hope that after I get my DMD I can be like Dr. toothache and slam pre-meds, Canadians, and anyone else who rubs me the wrong way.

Sarcasm, as a way of expression, is sometimes reserved for those who, in the absence of a logical/factual counter argument resort to personal attacks and believe that the the end product of their metabolism has the aroma of Channel No. 5

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7683723&postcount=16
My advice: Don't let Dr. toothache bother you. Some of his posts are very helpful but most of the time he is an arrogant prick.
It looks like you started practicing before achieving your dream.

Sarcasm, as a way of expression, is sometimes reserved for those who, in the absence of a logical/factual counter argument resort to personal attacks and believe that the the end product of their metabolism has the aroma of Channel No. 5
For those of you who don't have the knowledge of lady perfume that the doc does, I thought I include this to fully feel the impact of his burn.
Chanel No. 5[1] was the first fragrance from Parisiancouturier Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel, and has been on sale continually since its introduction in 1921. It has been described as "the world's most legendary fragrance", and remains the company's most famous perfume.[2] The company estimates that a bottle is sold worldwide every 55 seconds.[3]
Doc, thanks for the words of wisdom. I know I have a long way to become a full out d-bag but I know with your advice and example I can make it. Thanks.

Doc, you'd make an excellent attorney.

Doc, thanks for the words of wisdom. I know I have a long way to become a full out d-bag but I know with your advice and example I can make it. Thanks.

Not to worry Grasshopper. When it comes to back alley lingo you are the undisputed Master.

Last edited:
Sarcasm may be preferable to personal attacks or to invitations for a re enactment of the OK corral.

...people come here for advice, sometimes for help with way serious situations like the OP's, and your only contribution is your five-year-old "tell the dude to stick to medicine, I'm gonna stalk this thread and shoot down other people that oppose my advice by wikipedia'ing the Vietnam War" mindset.

I'm sure you've been looking at this thread all day just waiting to justify yourself to me and aguacero. Go ahead and tell me I'm trying to set up the OK corral -- over the internet apparently -- I'm not gonna read this thread anymore you're a fool not a "doctor."

Sorry to the OP for further ruining this thread. It's easy for people outside your situation to say "do what you want to do most," but I realize that this is something that will affect your whole life. Because I'm not even out of undergrad yet, I'll let other people talk about stuff, but if the thought of being a physician the rest of your life is just revolting, then don't do it...

if i were you, i would stick with medicine. medicine is a much broader field and you will be more likely to find an area that you will find interest in compared to dentistry. plus, you haven't even gone through 3rd year, so your exposure to medicine is extremely limited, so don't give up just yet.
Second that.

Plus dentistry is very demanding. 1-3mm makes a difference in dentistry and you have to perform procedures without seeing exactly what you are doing. You have Type A personality like most dental students do. It's tough.

Just go to your neighboring dental school and observe and talk to them. Really see for yourself what it is.

Dentistry is the shiznit. Why are we even discouraging the op? I say stick it to your dean first thing tomorrow and start studying for your DATs.

Year 1-Anatomy, Molecules Genes and Cells, Embryo, Health Care Systems I, Neuro, Dental Materials Sci, Physio, Path, Dental Morph, Operative I, Oral Bio I, Radiology I, Intro to Clinical Dent, Intro to Perio

It's basically a cake walk compared with med school, you should be fine ;)

Kidding, I'd imagine the transition would be difficult at a school like mine, since though basic science courses translate, the dental courses do not (obviously). They'd probably have to make a special curr. just for you, which I'm not sure they would. I'd guess you're looking at 4 more years, though taking a lot of courses for the sencond time will help.

from someone that has done both medical and dental school, if i were you, i would stick with medicine. medicine is a much broader field and you will be more likely to find an area that you will find interest in compared to dentistry. plus, you haven't even gone through 3rd year, so your exposure to medicine is extremely limited, so don't give up just yet.
I tend to agree with WestCoast - medicine is a lot broader than dentistry. That being said, you haven't said why you feel medicine isn't for you. If it's because you are in love with teeth, dentistry is probably a good fit. If it's because you don't like patient interaction or something similar, dentistry wouldn't be for you.

Hi all! I am a current second year medical student, and after MUCH contemplation I have decided that medicine is not the right career path for me.

It's not my business to ask but why is medicine not right for you? At the end you will have all those medical specialties to choose from. Dentistry is the end of the road; you're a dentist no matter which dental specialty you wind up in.

I don't know about the dental students here but my feeling is that most dental students ( and even dentists ) don't enjoy dentistry. I guess it's because it is impossible to know whether you'll enjoy performing dentistry without doing it firsthand yourself, and it's not like you can switch to another branch of healing like in med school.

I don't know about the dental students here but my feeling is that most dental students ( and even dentists ) don't enjoy dentistry.

really? that's depressing.

It's not my business to ask but why is medicine not right for you? At the end you will have all those medical specialties to choose from. Dentistry is the end of the road; you're a dentist no matter which dental specialty you wind up in.

I don't know about the dental students here but my feeling is that most dental students ( and even dentists ) don't enjoy dentistry. I guess it's because it is impossible to know whether you'll enjoy performing dentistry without doing it firsthand yourself, and it's not like you can switch to another branch of healing like in med school.
My feeling is that your n of 1 doesn't make for a very high-powered study.

Yeah, not to sure about that most dentists not liking dentistry.

Dentistry is the end of the road, but so is every other medical profession. You do have to make up your mind eventually....... Just reading through every specialty on this site I find complaints about boredom, burnout and regrets. This goes pretty much across the entire career spectrum.

I'd much rather be a dentist than an accountant or computer programmer (for example) or even an internist, EM physician or radiologist (sitting at a computer all day... been there, done that). And I'm sure most dentists aren't complaining when they only need to work three days per week while other professions are bordering six.

My feeling is that your n of 1 doesn't make for a very high-powered study.

I'm speaking in regards to what I saw. ( the gripe I have against dentistry is something other than the dental procedures themselves but that's a completely different issue. )

In dental school and residency, I don't ever recall seeing anyone enjoying waxups and dentures. Interestingly, at work, my dental colleagues love dentures because it is a production booster but they openly admit not liking them.

For class II fillings, rcts, and extractions, I saw mixed reactions. But everyone sure did love one surface fillings and crowns/bridges.

My point is that even infinite hours of dental observation and volunteering are poor indicators of whether or not you'll like dentistry. Until you do it yourself, you have no idea as to whether you're the type for dentistry.

I'm speaking in regards to what I saw. ( the gripe I have against dentistry is something other than the dental procedures themselves but that's a completely different issue. )

In dental school and residency, I don't ever recall seeing anyone enjoying waxups and dentures. Interestingly, at work, my dental colleagues love dentures because it is a production booster but they openly admit not liking them.

For class II fillings, rcts, and extractions, I saw mixed reactions. But everyone sure did love one surface fillings and crowns/bridges.

My point is that even infinite hours of dental observation and volunteering are poor indicators of whether or not you'll like dentistry. Until you do it yourself, you have no idea as to whether you're the type for dentistry.
I still think you're stretching the bounds of credulity to suggest that most dentists don't like dentistry. Except for that, though, I can agree with everything else.

It's not my business to ask but why is medicine

As a practicing dentist, I have to say I totally disagree with your depressing outlook. I enjoy what I do, I enjoyed dental school, and so did most of my classmates. I look forward to work everyday and I know that every year a ton of new things (material, gadgets, techniques, etc.) come out that make my life a lot simpler and my paitents a lot happier. How many health care professionals can claim the same thing?

maybe you feel that way now, but I hope that doensn't stay with you forever. you have to enjoy what you do for a living (at least to a certain extent) or you will be one miserable son of a gun forever.

Hope things get better for you dude.