Medical Students - Do you go to class? (Touro NV)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medical Students anywhere - Did you go to class during most of Y1 and Y2?

• Yes, 4+ days per week

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • No, almost never

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Yes, less than 3 days per week

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Yes, less than 1 day per week

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Yes, but only at first

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters

DaisySimpson

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a California resident and trying to decide if I will finish Touro NV application. Would I need to live close to the school full-time? I know that Western offers webcasts and I have heard that most students do not end up going to class after the first semester. Is this the same with most DO schools? Medical schools in general?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure what your question exactly entails. Why don't you want to live near school? It makes life that much more convenient if you can get to school quickly.

As for the in class attendance, I would say around half our class attends classes if the professors are good (and 1/3 if the professors are bad). You still will have mandatory days you will need to come (around maybe 1-2 days a week depending on your school). So I think it would be best to live near school.

Not going to class doesn't mean you won't be on campus every day...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I am a California resident and trying to decide if I will finish Touro NV application. Would I need to live close to the school full-time? I know that Western offers webcasts and I have heard that most students do not end up going to class after the first semester. Is this the same with most DO schools? Medical schools in general?

Thank you
There are some schools that require class attendance. Mine does not. I would say about 10 to 20% of my students show up for lecture.

As adult learners, you need to find the best learning modality. If staying at home and looking at videos works for you then I am perfectly okay with that.

I would not attend and just watch lectures online. However, the school tends to quiz and have graded team assignments atleast 3 or 4 days a week.... so I just go.

I am an MS1 and go about 3 days a week. The trick you will find is not the lectures as they all get recorded. The real trick is the mandatory classes and labs. My school has labs 2-3 days a week, which are required attendance. I live about 30 minutes from my school, so will avoid going in on days I am not required to go. I do find that I am more effective at studying if I am at the school though On those days I come to the school before traffic and walk right past the lecture halls to the library where I am more efficient haha.

When I was there they had lectures recorded on media site. I never went to class.

I am an MS1 and go about 3 days a week. The trick you will find is not the lectures as they all get recorded. The real trick is the mandatory classes and labs. My school has labs 2-3 days a week, which are required attendance. I live about 30 minutes from my school, so will avoid going in on days I am not required to go. I do find that I am more effective at studying if I am at the school though On those days I come to the school before traffic and walk right past the lecture halls to the library where I am more efficient haha.

Same (except I live 15-20 minutes away)