Medical students future career/lifestyle/family pole

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

which would you choose

• Total voters
option #1

You are a world renowned physician in a very competitive field that you love, and do extremely well financially (7 figures), but takes a lot of time. You are divorced and your kids dont really like you and want nothing to do with you. You are basically reduced to dating gold diggers who don't really care about you.

option #2

You are an average doc in a non - competitive field, but you have a very loving family, and you spend a lot of time with them. While you are not a big shot, you still do okay financially. lets say you and the wife earn 200k each in psych/fm/im etc. So your net household income is still pretty good, but you are not in super prestigious field.

Which would you guys choose. Obviously, you can find a medium between the two. Professional success and a good family DONT have to be mutually exclusive for some people, but that is not the point of this thread. If you HAD TO PICK ONE, which would you choose.

200k x2 is a ridiculously good sum. If i had a family income of that much i would be over the moon.

Members don't see this ad.

I choose both! #1 and 2
The big bucks, the family and the gold diggers on the side! Lol
:)
If I only could!
Like a friend of residency used to joke, spend 30% of my salary in hookers and blow.

lmao how did this turn into a do vs md thing. not all md make 7 figures. not all do are fm.

However, I agree that the post might come off a bit biased. Perhaps I should emphasize the positives of option #1. You have way more prestige and respect among your peers. You are not tied down to a wife, so you can play the field and date a lot more younger attractive women if thats what you want. You also have more freedom to move around and travel as you are not concerned about kids' schools etc.

By the time you're making the big money you'll be older and the vast majority of chicks nowadays dont care much about money (new generation). It's all about looks if you want the hot chicks, and the only chicks who want money are legitimate gold diggers who will be with 4-5 guys at once and want you spending huge money on them...

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to work 80-100 hours a week, you can pull high 6 figures to 7 figures in almost any field.

This is not true at all. Most physicians make ~250K and work ~50 hour weeks. So if you worked 100 hour weeks, the avg physician would make 500k

Not to sound douch-ey, but I don't care about being renowned. If the choice was between being stellar in what I do for my patients (even if I wasn't famous) or mediocre and average in that way, my answer would be different. That is, I would sacrifice quality of my personal life to make sure my patients are well taken care of. I would NOT make the same sacrifices for things related to prestige and money.

Hopefully no one enters medicine to get rich and famous anyway! :laugh:

I already dated a gold digger. It's not as fun as it sounds.

Haven't we all my friend? It's just a matter of knowing it at the time and being ok with it.
As my uncle said( dating a gold large scale miner half his age and hot as Heeeeell) what I have danced( enjoyed) nobody can take away from me..... He was having a blast, and I guess he supported pfizer a lot with them blue pills.
I will Never ever forget that.

Any md makes avg 150k a year.
There is no way one can't be comfortable with that amount of money as long as you live within your means( and those are comfortable means to live on, you can have 2 Benz, or avg luxury car a big old house and put your kids through school ).
You perhaps wont be able to afford a bentley or Lamborghini , but you can easily get any BMW s7
Lexus, Audi, Mercedes, Acura etc.
Let's be real you won't be movie star rich, but you will have a good life if you are smart with money.

Any md makes avg 150k a year.
There is no way one can't be comfortable with that amount of money as long as you live within your means( and those are comfortable means to live on, you can have 2 Benz, or avg luxury car a big old house and put your kids through school ).
You perhaps wont be able to afford a bentley or Lamborghini , but you can easily get any BMW s7
Lexus, Audi, Mercedes, Acura etc.
Let's be real you won't be movie star rich, but you will have a good life if you are smart with money.
+1 I think we sometimes lose sight of how comfortable one can live on a gross salary of $150k. Plus, when you go above $250, you're really not taking nearly as much home due to the higher tax bracket.

Option 1 of course.

Rack rack city bish.

Maybe this was an interesting take on the word pole, intending it to be interpreted as a sort of dichotomy. But more likely, you just herp derped.