medical students/residents with ADHD and ritalin/adderall prescription?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ezpkfool18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience being a medical student/resident while also taking daily adderall/ritalin (prescribed, of course).

I am wondering how this would affect difficult working hours. Obviously, it would not be ideal to be practicing 18 hours after the less dosage, but I also imagine that one would not want to disrupt their medication regimen in order to match their work schedule.

Additionally, any experience with how this same dilemma would play out for doctors interested in emergency medicine?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone have experience being a medical student/resident while also taking daily adderall/ritalin (prescribed, of course).

I am wondering how this would affect difficult working hours. Obviously, it would not be ideal to be practicing 18 hours after the less dosage, but I also imagine that one would not want to disrupt their medication regimen in order to match their work schedule.

Additionally, any experience with how this same dilemma would play out for doctors interested in emergency medicine?

Thanks!
talk to your prescribing physician. This isn't really a group input/consensus kind of question.

Reactions: 5 users
Well, if it's a legitimate diagnosis and a legitimate treatment I see no issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
We were jokingly told to take caffeine after the medication begins working to power through. Honestly, I have overslept a few times and missed quizzes and got into trouble when I didn't adjust my dose to my schedule.

personal experience, if I take my prescription with some sort of energy drink or caffeinated beverage I feel like it last longer, and it works better when I have class all day than have to study after work

Incoming "SDN is not for medical advice."

Reactions: 1 user
Adult ADHD........yeah.......if you say so

*Yawn*

Reactions: 2 users
I asked my doc to change from stimulants to strattera for that reason - I didn't want to have to take more of it - but it hasn't worked at all for the past couple of months and I'm at the max dose. I don't want to 'need' a medication, but because I also have dislexia I'm all upsided without it... I was talking to an ED attending and he thinks adhd sufferers make good EM physicians though (go figure)