Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How common is it?
Is it even possible to do well in med school when one is taking antidepressants?
Before I was diagnosed with severe clinical depression and being prescribed antidepressants, I did exceptionally well academically. However, having started on the pills and finally settled with ones that work for me (it's taken over 2 years), I found that my memory has deteriorated a whole lot, I get mentally fatigued far more easily, and I have lots of psycho-somatic complaints (mostly unexplainable headaches).
Sadly, I finished my M1 year with a 66%. 🙁 (average is mid-70s) I think I can already say goodbye to the more competitive residencies. 🙁 🙁 🙁
Anyone has similar experiences and is willing to share? Any strategies to combat this illness? I've already had 2 relapses and the doc told me that I'll probably have to take the SSRI for the rest of my life. 🙁
Is it even possible to do well in med school when one is taking antidepressants?
Before I was diagnosed with severe clinical depression and being prescribed antidepressants, I did exceptionally well academically. However, having started on the pills and finally settled with ones that work for me (it's taken over 2 years), I found that my memory has deteriorated a whole lot, I get mentally fatigued far more easily, and I have lots of psycho-somatic complaints (mostly unexplainable headaches).
Sadly, I finished my M1 year with a 66%. 🙁 (average is mid-70s) I think I can already say goodbye to the more competitive residencies. 🙁 🙁 🙁
Anyone has similar experiences and is willing to share? Any strategies to combat this illness? I've already had 2 relapses and the doc told me that I'll probably have to take the SSRI for the rest of my life. 🙁