Medical Technologist to Pathologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MTtoMD2023

Reaction score
Hi. I am currently a US citizen going to a medical school in the Philippines. Im currently on my 2nd year of medical school and i want to apply for pathology residency in the US after i graduate. I know USMLE scores are very important but i haven't prepared for it yet. I've read that research greatly improves your chances in getting interviews and matching into a program but i am not good at research. I do have experience as a medical technologist in the US for 6 years and i want to know if pathology programs consider this as a "positive factor" when they review your application during match season. Any input will be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi. I am currently a US citizen going to a medical school in the Philippines. Im currently on my 2nd year of medical school and i want to apply for pathology residency in the US after i graduate. I know USMLE scores are very important but i haven't prepared for it yet. I've read that research greatly improves your chances in getting interviews and matching into a program but i am not good at research. I do have experience as a medical technologist in the US for 6 years and i want to know if pathology programs consider this as a "positive factor" when they review your application during match season. Any input will be greatly appreciated. thanks!
Yes being a MT helps. Do you want to focus on the anatomic pathology or clinical pathology side? Or both? Be ready to explain why the shift from a MT to a pathologist. Do the best you can on the USMLEs and have a positive attitude. Research in my opinion is not that important. USMLEs are important especially for IMGs. Most non academic programs could care less about research. Even some academic programs could care less as long as you have good USMLE scores and some pathology related experience. Make sure you prioritize the USMLEs.

Yes being a MT helps. Do you want to focus on the anatomic pathology or clinical pathology side? Or both? Be ready to explain why the shift from a MT to a pathologist. Do the best you can on the USMLEs and have a positive attitude. Research in my opinion is not that important. USMLEs are important especially for IMGs. Most non academic programs could care less about research. Even some academic programs could care less as long as you have good USMLE scores and some pathology related experience. Make sure you prioritize the USMLEs.
I have an affinity for transfusion medicine but i've read that there are more opportunities for AP. Thank you for your response!

Members don't see this ad :)

It probably depends on the type of program that you apply to and the type of research you´re looking into. Big academic centers might favor research more, especially if they are expecting you to do it as part of your training. However, being a technologist in a lab should already indicate your significant interest in pathology. It can´t hurt, but make sure it is relevant and that you enjoy it.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I am a pre-med student in the US, as well. And I am planning to attend Medical school in the Philippines. I know this has nothing to do with your query, but I have read into it, and I just want to hear some insights from someone who is already doing what I am planning to do, for a heads up. It would be appreciated. May I ask 1) what Philippine medical school are you attending?, 2) what should I know before I decide to take this track?

Hi! I am a pre-med student in the US, as well. And I am planning to attend Medical school in the Philippines. I know this has nothing to do with your query, but I have read into it, and I just want to hear some insights from someone who is already doing what I am planning to do, for a heads up. It would be appreciated. May I ask 1) what Philippine medical school are you attending?, 2) what should I know before I decide to take this track?
No worries. Just ask. Im studying at St. Luke's College of Medicine (https://slmc-cm.edu.ph/). If you go this route, you'll be an IMG. A lot of people say that being a US citizen is a great advantage in matching in the US but the only advantage we have is we don't need a visa, everything else is fair game.