Medical Technology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ROCKet_gurly

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone debated on becoming a Medical Technologist or Medical Lab Tech instead of becoming a doctor? Would it be possible or a good idea to become a Lab Tech just in case I don't get into Med school the first time around? Then I would have a job at least and not feel completely useless. Plus I think I might enjoy it.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a Medical Technologist, and I love my job. My income is decent (I've been an MT for 3 years, and my income was 43K last year) and it has great benefits and job stability. It can get pretty stressful, but so can any job. It is definitely a great fallback job, but I really, really want to go to med school. That being said, if I don't get in after 2 tries, I'll enjoy the job I have. I know a lot about many MT/CLS programs, and you can PM me if you want for any info. I have heard that Med Schools tend to look down on MT applicants (I have heard this from more than one physician and also from several instructors.)But don't let that sway you if you have a genuine interest.

MLT is a 2 year degree and Med Tech is a bachelors (i think)

it'll take some time. i'm working as a phlebotomist with med techs and mlts. they let me help out with some of the lab tests.