Medical Terminology and GRE

Started by kato3
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kato3

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys! So I'm picking my classes for this upcoming semester, and my major advisor suggested me to take a 2-credit online medical terminology to fulfill my major requirements. I know that few schools require medical terminology as a prerequisite, and it's only an 8-week course, but I want your opinions as well. Do you think that it would be beneficial to take a medical terminology class to prepare for PT school, and did the class helped you prepare for the verbal GRE in any way? Thanks!
 
Hey guys! So I'm picking my classes for this upcoming semester, and my major advisor suggested me to take a 2-credit online medical terminology to fulfill my major requirements. I know that few schools require medical terminology as a prerequisite, and it's only an 8-week course, but I want your opinions as well. Do you think that it would be beneficial to take a medical terminology class to prepare for PT school, and did the class helped you prepare for the verbal GRE in any way? Thanks!

I would just take it. It helps you brush up on some A & P. It may not be a pre-req but I found it's often a highly recommended course. If nothing else it just shows you're willing to put in the extra effort.

I don't believe it will really help with the GRE but it will probably help once you're in a PT program.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
if you have to take it to fulfill your major requirement, it doesn't sound like you have a choice. If it's an easy A, it will boost your gpa and some schools require it, which gives you more options in applying. If I was in your position I would do it.
 
I'll most likely take it next semester, but I was just curious about how much it could help with preparing for GRE.
 
Honestly, many of the PT schools that require MedTerm allow you took take it online. You should check with the PT schools and see if they take online courses (with a certificate of completion). This will typically cost you~$75 instead of the ~$1000 for the campus course. Of course the online course will not add value to your GPA, so unless you are trying to take an easy course to fulfill a requirement and boost your GPA, MedTerm online is a no brainer! (Saves you time and money)
 
I'll most likely take it next semester, but I was just curious about how much it could help with preparing for GRE.
GRE has absolutely nothing to do with MedTerm. It will not help you in any way.
MedTerm is a course that exposes you to words pertaining to medicine and the healthcare field (and really, it only scratches the surface). GRE is broken down to three sections (Verbal, Quantitative, and Analytical Writing). Two are not related.