Medical terminology for scribing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soccer90876

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently applying for a few scribing positions online (through private practices, not through big companies like ScribeAmerica), all of which 'prefer' or 'require' knowledge of basic medical terminology. I have never taken any college courses in medical terminology and was thinking of getting an online certification, but am not sure which courses are legitimate and which ones are scams. Does anyone with knowledge about this recommend any online courses that are legitimate and give certifications? On the other hand, is there a better / more proper way to demonstrate knowledge of medical terminology?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I myself am an EMT and not a scribe, however I interact with the scribes on a daily basis and I know most of them personally from school as well. From what I have heard, you can either show that you have a certificate/have taken a class, or you can take a test in order to test out of the requirement.

Reactions: 1 user
They ask to know some terminology because you will be tested early on and frequently, more so if you're in a specialty or subspecialty. Many people often get "tested out," If you are in a science major with some inkling of anatomy & physiology, this helps. Otherwise, resources are provided. Source: chief scribe.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many of those small gigs 'prefer' experience too. They may not come out and say it, but current scribes will see the pay raise of $5 and apply as well.

Reactions: 1 users
I am currently applying for a few scribing positions online (through private practices, not through big companies like ScribeAmerica), all of which 'prefer' or 'require' knowledge of basic medical terminology. I have never taken any college courses in medical terminology and was thinking of getting an online certification, but am not sure which courses are legitimate and which ones are scams. Does anyone with knowledge about this recommend any online courses that are legitimate and give certifications? On the other hand, is there a better / more proper way to demonstrate knowledge of medical terminology?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

I dont know about scribeamerica, but a medical terminology class is absolutely not necessary to scribe unless they demand proof. I used quizlet to learn terminology , and it worked out fine for me.

Last edited:
There are a fair amount of public ScribeAmerica terminology flashcards on quizlet, I'd use those if you need to self-teach.