Scribing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bagelrun13

Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you do scribing because you want to learn more medicine, becaue it looks good on a medical application, or for some other reason?

Honestly, scribing was the absolute worst experience of my life and writing notes for physicians as a student or resident is infinitely better. Even on my worst days in chemistry graduate school and my absolute worst days in pod medical school, were better than my best days as a medical scribe.

I think 9 months of scribing would probably be good enough on a medical school application, so if you want to look for a better job that actually pays something, that might be wiser.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I recently injured my hip and will have to be on crutches for a few weeks. I've been working as a scribe for 9 months and am really hoping to find a way to continue to do so while I'm injured. My boss is supportive and offered to make any accommodations I need to keep working, but I haven't thought of a solution yet as I spend most of my shift standing and walking while carrying my computer which wouldn't be possible since my hands will be full with the crutches. I also can't use a knee scooter because it still puts weight through my hip. If anyone's dealt with this before or has a creative solution, please let me know!
Allow your body to heal and take time off.

I had surgery when I was a scribe- took 3 weeks off from my scribe job and quit my second job to recover-best decision I could have ever made. I wouldn't have been as efficient for the docs and definitely wouldn't have recovered the way I did if I didn't take off. Also pretty sure they would've just sent me home because they're docs and humans, so they understand.

Reactions: 3 users
That's good to know. I just took 2 weeks off because I was traveling to see family for the holidays and was hoping to return to work after letting it heal during that time but it might be best to let it heal a little longer
Congrats on your acceptances!!! That's wonderful!

I definitely understand wanting to return to work when you work with great physicians and nurses. (I worked with some great docs when I worked in the ED and cried when I left lol).

I once slipped on black ice right before my shift, completely messed up my back but didn't feel it until the next day. The doc visibly saw how much pain I was in and frequently asked how I was feeling during the shift.(I was scribing at a peds office this time). She strongly encouraged me to leave to go to urgent care to get xrays and to stay home a few days so I could rest. Needlessly to say, I listened to her and she was happy when I returned a few days later pain free.

Another perspective, not letting it heal now might cause you to continue to have lingering issues (pain, issues with your gait, etc) and you definitely want to have those completely resolved before med school.

Good luck on everything!!