medical transcription OR after school for special children

blowfish5

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 14, 2005
13
0
Status
I understand that many people are talking about schools and being one myself I came to the decision of getting a job; i cannot handle the stress of not being able to do anything about the situation but wait for THE letters.

I'll be starting as an assistant for an after school program for special children. And this morning I got an interview for a medical-transcription / assistant-working-with-a-doctor type of job on monday.

In a perfect world I would love to do both of them but there's time conflict.

-After school is "after school" only(part time) and transcription is full time.

-Aside from money, with after-school i might make a difference and working with a doctor seems like a desk job (possibly i can study?).

-Of course both experiences are priceless; the after-school seems cool and working with a doctor seems like it would help me alot with the application.

-Also with after-school there's no commitment but with the doctor i have to work at least a year(well, that doesn't seem like a problem right now... if u know what i mean, if i could just get into that one school ah....)

-One more thing, i would have to drive 40 min for after-school, and 90min bus for the doc.

Honestly I don't even know what a medical transcriptionist does. I was wondering if anyone had advice. Also, good luck to Everyone for Everything!!! clovers all around?!?!?! =)

Sorry about the long question, but hopefully this let your tired minds off from the process(?) Thanx for reading...
 

justskipee

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2005
328
1
here and there
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
after school program, 100%. It will be more rewarding and beneficial to you as a person. I think a medical transcriptionist would be helping write medical reports, or typing. It will be a desk job, and be similar to office space probably. You will have many chances to shadow, and get to meet doctors and show your interest in medicine in other ways.
 

gujuDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2004
13,864
37
Status
Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]
After school job all the way!!!!!!!!! First off, if by "special" kids you mean those with mental illnesses, then I'd say that it would constitute as being medically related if that is what you are looking for.

Secondly, the fact that you are working directly with students will say more about your ability to interact with others then a desk job.

Thirdly, it is part time which works out better for when you are juggling school and part time work.

Of course all of the above is assuming that you don't have to worry about the issue of money and variations in salary.

But in the end it depends on where you think you'd be happy at.

Good luck and congratulations on getting the job offers. I've been applying for jobs lately too. I have 5 applications sent in. Mostly all are in doctor's offices. So we'll see what happens.
 
About the Ads

zook

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2005
75
0
Status
blowfish5 said:
I understand that many people are talking about schools and being one myself I came to the decision of getting a job; i cannot handle the stress of not being able to do anything about the situation but wait for THE letters.

I'll be starting as an assistant for an after school program for special children. And this morning I got an interview for a medical-transcription / assistant-working-with-a-doctor type of job on monday.

In a perfect world I would love to do both of them but there's time conflict.

-After school is "after school" only(part time) and transcription is full time.

-Aside from money, with after-school i might make a difference and working with a doctor seems like a desk job (possibly i can study?).

-Of course both experiences are priceless; the after-school seems cool and working with a doctor seems like it would help me alot with the application.

-Also with after-school there's no commitment but with the doctor i have to work at least a year(well, that doesn't seem like a problem right now... if u know what i mean, if i could just get into that one school ah....)

-One more thing, i would have to drive 40 min for after-school, and 90min bus for the doc.

Honestly I don't even know what a medical transcriptionist does. I was wondering if anyone had advice. Also, good luck to Everyone for Everything!!! clovers all around?!?!?! =)

Sorry about the long question, but hopefully this let your tired minds off from the process(?) Thanx for reading...
I third the after-school program. I'm doing something similar to that right now in my year off, and it has given me so much more to talk about than had I worked a desk job (although that time would've been nice to have to perhaps work on secondaries). Also, since mine is part-time as well, I was searching for other jobs and landed another one that is very clinical and patient oriented, so I was extremely fortunate in that aspect.

Really, it'd be great if you got into your top choice school, and even in that case, it would work out b/c you could quit your job pretty easily. Driving sucks as well. The less you have to do, the less stressed you'll be and the more time you'll have for yourself. Good luck, and hope everything works out!
 

WholeLottaGame7

15+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2005
2,026
1,183
Right here.
Status
Attending Physician
I knew someone who was a medical transcriptionist and they were crazy busy. Probably depends on how much you take on, but still, it can't be that interesting and you'll definitely feel much more rewarded for the after school job.
 

DropkickMurphy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2005
9,731
25
A bar room in Mombasa drinking gin
Status
Other Health Professions Student
gujuDoc said:
After school job all the way!!!!!!!!! First off, if by "special" kids you mean those with mental illnesses, then I'd say that it would constitute as being medically related if that is what you are looking for.
Actually he probably means kids who are ******ed, not mentally ill. There is a difference.

I would recommend dealing with the SPED kids. That would look much better than being what amounts to a typist. While it might be rewarding, working with ******ed kids can be very stressful and trying. My fiancee's sister is a SPED teacher and she says that her work is the most confounding and stressful work she could imagine.
 

gujuDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2004
13,864
37
Status
Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]
Praetorian said:
Actually he probably means kids who are ******ed, not mentally ill. There is a difference.

I'm confused. I thought "mental ******ation" was a form of "mental illness"

So what's the difference???

I thought all things of this nature are now referred to as the "Mentally Challenged" so as not to offend anyone.

Ok that's all.
 

DropkickMurphy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2005
9,731
25
A bar room in Mombasa drinking gin
Status
Other Health Professions Student
There is nothing wrong with the term ******ed. Changing the name of the condition does not change the condition itself. And yes some causes are technically a form of mental illness, but it is handled much differently due to the nature of the condition (not many ******ed children are treated with therapy or medications as others with forms of psychopathology are managed). Downs Syndrome- a major and obvious form of mental ******ation- is in fact a genetic condition with neurological implications, not a true form of mental illness.
 

chaeymaey

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 25, 2003
1,589
2
36
TX
prettydoc.blogspot.com
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Yeah, we studied mental ******ation in my abnormal child psych class. I think it is in the DSM-4, but he probably meant that it's more accurate to say mentally challenged because the kids aren't schizophrenic, bipolar, or other kinds of mental illnesses.
 

gujuDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2004
13,864
37
Status
Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]
chaeymaey said:
Yeah, we studied mental ******ation in my abnormal child psych class. I think it is in the DSM-4, but he probably meant that it's more accurate to say mentally challenged because the kids aren't schizophrenic, bipolar, or other kinds of mental illnesses.

Oh ok. Thanks for clarifying.
 
About the Ads