Program-Specific Info / Q's Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mbOT626

Occupational Therapy Student
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, ya'll! I applied to MUSC in August. Their deadline was November 15. I believe (could be wrong) that they did not start reviewing applications until this date. Has anyone heard from them yet?!

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to MUSC too, but haven't heard back yet! They did send out an email saying they would begin sending out interview invitation "as early as mid-December" so hopefully they'll send them out in a week or two!!

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah looking at last year, it looks like they started sending out invites around 12/20!

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to MUSC too, but haven't heard back yet! They did send out an email saying they would begin sending out interview invitation "as early as mid-December" so hopefully they'll send them out in a week or two!!
I got that same e-mail! They're my top choice so this waiting game isn't much fun!!!!!

I applied to MUSC as well! Hoping to hear back very soon!

Me either! Based on last year, I would expect to hear something either today or tomorrow!

Hi everyone! I applied to MUSC's OTD program as well and am anxiously awaiting for them to send out interview invites!
Would anyone be willing to share stats (GPA, GRE, shadowing hours, etc)?

Mine are below in case it's any help to anyone?

School: University of Georgia (graduated on December 14!!!)
Major: Health Promotion// Minor: Spanish// Certificate in Disability Studies
Overall GPA: 3.74
Pre-req GPA: 3.5 (for MUSC's pre-reqs)
GRE: 161V, 155Q, 5.0AW

Observation Hours:
100 hours total, I can't remember the breakup of how many hours I got in each setting, but I shadowed at:
-Skilled nursing facility
-two different outpatient pediatric clinics
-hippotherapy
-inpatient spinal cord/brain injury rehab
-outpatient hand therapy

300 hour internship at UGA's post-secondary education program for people with IDD

Plans for next semester:
-Will be working as the experiential learning coordinator and health seminar instructor for the same program i mentioned above

-working as support aide for a man with autism

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I applied to MUSC's OTD program as well and am anxiously awaiting for them to send out interview invites!
Would anyone be willing to share stats (GPA, GRE, shadowing hours, etc)?

University: University of North Georgia
Major: Kinesiology
Graduating: May 2019
Overall GPA undergrad: 3.58
Pre-Req GPA: 3.2-3.3 Depending on Requirements for Schools
GRE: 149Q, 145Q, 4.0AW
Applying to: Georgia State, Brenau, MUSC, Wingate, Emory & Henry, Mary Baldwin Univeristy, Milligan College
Interviews: Wingate (10/26), Brenau (11/30), Georgia State (12/3), Mary Baldwin University (1/12), Milligan College (2/22)
Acceptances:
Waitlist: Wingate, Georgia State
Rejections:

Observation Hours
10 Inpatient: Cardiovascular, Oncology, ICU
18 Inpatient: Neuro
268 Outpatient Pediatrics (Summer intern)
28 Skilled Nursing/Geriatric
1 year Working as a Unit Secretary at a Skilled Nursing Facility

Extras:
40 hours as an assistant Autism Feeding Disorder research study
President of UNG Occupational Therapy Club
Member of 2 National Honor Societies- Lambda Theta Alpha, Mu Epsilon Delta
Member of Kinesiology Club, Medical Outreach club
Dean's list x 5 semesters

Letters of Rec:
OT Supervisor at an Outpatient Pediatric Clinic I interned at
OT I shadowed at the SNF that I work at
A professor who served on the PT board at my school, whom I have also taken classes with

University: Auburn University
Major: Rehabilitation and Disability Studies
Minor: Spanish
Overall GPA: 3.7
Pre-req GPA: ~3.7
GRE: 153V 154Q 4.0AW
Applying: University of Alabama at Birmingham, University of South Alabama, Washington University in St. Louis, MUSC, UNC
Interviews: University of South Alabama, MUSC!
Waitlist: Washington University
Acceptances:

Observation hours:
80 in inpatient psychiatric and skilled nursing
600 pending hours for pediatric OT internship next semester
240 Practicum hours in camp settings with individuals with disabilities

Other:
1 year working as substitute special education aide
Research on effectiveness of Alabama Youth Leadership Forum (distributed survey tool and entered data)
Supplemental Instruction leader
Horseback Riding Director at summer camp for individuals with disabilities

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an email that we should be hearing about an interview invite in the next 2 weeks!

So are we supposed to be hearing back anytime within these next two weeks? Or will we start hearing back on the 2nd when the office opens back up. I was a little confused with that email. Happy holidays everyone!

I got one too! Super pumped. Good luck to you!

Congrats everyone! I got an interview invite too, but haven't gotten the sign up link yet. When did they send that out to you? Thanks!

I got it pretty much immediately after the first email. Like 2 minutes later

I got an interview too! Working on booking a flight but will probably choose 1/25!

Does anyone happen to have information about tuition for out of state residents for the OTD program? Their website is not super user friendly and I keep finding tuition info about other programs, but not the OT one. Thank you!

Does anyone happen to have information about tuition for out of state residents for the OTD program? Their website is not super user friendly and I keep finding tuition info about other programs, but not the OT one. Thank you!
It seems like they updated their website, and that information isn’t as readily available anymore. I was able to find the MOT out of state costs which is $36,859 for the first two years, and $12,131 for the third year. I believe for the OTD it would just be 36,859 x 3 for the last full year bc that’s what PT is. If that’s not correct, it’s a pretty good estimate!

Has anyone else gotten an email about being an interview alternate?

Good luck to everyone interviewing tomorrow!

Reactions: 1 users
Update: I got offered an interview today after being an interview alternate. It is on 1/29. It is for a skype interview as their 2/1/19 in-person interview date is full. :)

Last edited:
Anyone who interviewed last week have any tips?

It seems like they updated their website, and that information isn’t as readily available anymore. I was able to find the MOT out of state costs which is $36,859 for the first two years, and $12,131 for the third year. I believe for the OTD it would just be 36,859 x 3 for the last full year bc that’s what PT is. If that’s not correct, it’s a pretty good estimate!
Hi! I had my online interview today. She said that their tuition will be the same cost as the MOT as it will be for the OTD. Hope this helps :)

How did everyone's interviews go?!

I didn't feel totally confident coming out of it but I'm not sure if that's because of the interview or because I usually overanalyze things and worry too much... I guess we'll see!

I didn't feel totally confident coming out of it but I'm not sure if that's because of the interview or because I usually overanalyze things and worry too much... I guess we'll see!
Yeah I am trying not to think too much into it. I did my best so hopefully that was enough! I just hate the waiting game

I actually felt the same way. Their questions were pretty difficult in comparison to what I have experienced in other interviews. And of course, since my interview was online, I was having difficulty with my video going into my first interview. So i was already frazzled. ☹️ but it is what it is!!! I’ve been over analyzing everything too. It’s definitely not healthy haha. Best of luck though, i’m sure you did great!

has anyone who got an email about being an alternate heard back about an interview yet?

has anyone who got an email about being an alternate heard back about an interview yet?

I got pulled off of the alternate list for an interview a couple of weeks ago. I was told they were only have 2 in person interview dates that already passed. I had an online interview in between their 2 in person interview dates. I believe in in person dates were 1/25 & 2/1. I had my interview around 1/27 online.

I've been anxious to hear back since I left the interview. Hoping to hear by next week. My guess would be around the 21st-22nd hopefully!

Do y'all think we could hear something today? I am even more anxious than usual haha

Do y'all think we could hear something today? I am even more anxious than usual haha
I have a feeling like it will be tomorrow.I REALLY hope they don't drag it out until next week :(

But I'm just basing my opinions off of last year. Does anyone remember exactly what they said at the interview about it? I was so brain dead by the end of it all I can't remember.

But I'm just basing my opinions off of last year. Does anyone remember exactly what they said at the interview about it? I was so brain dead by the end of it all I can't remember.

They didnt give an exact date during mine ☹️ they said end of February sometime they would give an answer