Medical waiver for vision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

warp9

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it is possible to get a waiver for nystagmus and 20/40 vision?

Members don't see this ad.

I got a call from my recruiter today telling me I need a full eye exam because my corrected vision was recorded as 20/40 in one eye during my physical. I spoke with my optometrist and she says my uncorrected vision in one eye is 20/30 and 20/25 with a contact lens. The other eye is 20/20 so I only wear one contact lens, and my visual acuity with both eyes open is 20/20. I had amblyopia as a child, which is why I am currently only correctable to 20/25 in one eye

Is it true that vision must be correctable to 20/20? Does anyone know whether or not I could get a waiver for this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey-

Advice from your friendly local flight surgeon.

AR 40-501, Chapter 2, governs enlistment and induction standards. You can find it online and it is a good resource if you can sort through all of the verbage.

Your vision, even on the MEPS physical, is not disqualifying. Per the standards, vision may be correctable to 20/40 in one eye and 20/70 in the other eye is Good to Go. Your measurements from the optometrist are uniformly within admission standards.

Your history of nystagmus is not disqualifying as long as it is no longer present.

Keep in mind the above assumes you are not applying for any of the Military academies, or OCS. Also, your vision must be correctable to 20/20 bilaterally in order to perform specialized duties such as Aviation service.

BTW, "disqualifying" does not mean you can't get in, it means you need a waiver.

Tell your recruiter to actually read the regulations.

61N

61November, thanks for the information. If that's the case, I'm not really sure what the issue is. I'll call tomorrow and see if I can get it taken care of.

61November:

Don't forget standards are different for different services.

The Navy requires vision be correctable to 20/20 in each eye for a commission which I'm assuming this person is looking for with a status of "pre-medical."

For the Navy you can find all the requirements here:

http://navymedicine.med.navy.mil/Files/Media/mmd/MMDChapter15.pdf

Excellent point, Backrow.

The Air Force standards are also different, I presume.

I suppose I am biased towards believing that every pre-med is joining the Army!

61N

I am applying for the Navy, so I guess I have to go back to my original question. I am correctable to 20/25 in one eye so I guess that is technically disqualifying. Is this waiverable?