Medical Waiver - What happens next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard from USUHS today that I received a medical waiver. Does anyone have experience, and could they fill me in, on the process/timeline from here (I'm currently holding a conditional acceptance and am eagerly waiting for the unconditional one)?

Thank You.

Members don't see this ad.

Now that you have the waiver, things should happen very quickly - within weeks. Contact the admin office at USUHS - they are very helpful, and WANT to make things easy for you. I had the same thing, needed a waiver. The waiver came pretty quickly and the unconditional acceptance came even quicker. Good luck.

pilotdoc said:
Now that you have the waiver, things should happen very quickly - within weeks. Contact the admin office at USUHS - they are very helpful, and WANT to make things easy for you. I had the same thing, needed a waiver. The waiver came pretty quickly and the unconditional acceptance came even quicker. Good luck.

Thank you very much for your help. I understand that DoDMERB will be updating their website soon to reflect my file as medically qualified and, based on your recommendation, I hope to hear about an unconditional acceptance soon.

I agree with you on the help that USUHS has given. Both they, and the people at DoDMERB, have been fantastic to work with. Even when we have encountered "bumps" in the process, everyone has been extremely nice and has worked hard to process my application efficiently. (I mention this for everyone out there who may soon be going through this process)

Members don't see this ad :)
You can check your status of medical qualification on the web? I was not aware of that. Can anybody tell me how to do that?

JOE

jtriplet said:
You can check your status of medical qualification on the web? I was not aware of that. Can anybody tell me how to do that?

JOE

The DoDMERB website is:

https://dodmerb.tricare.osd.mil/

Click on "Applicant" to go to the login screen. --- Hope this helps!

just gave that a shot. Thanks for the info.

JOE

Can anyone please fill me on on what conditions they accept waivers for?

I have 4 items that are currently disqualifying me medically. I called DODMERB, after being contacted by Mitchell from USUHS, and was told that the optometrist, who will not return until next week, will have to clear my two conditions, diplopia (is that tested by the red lens test?) and distant visual acuity before they can send me more information on the other 2 conditions. Is there a place anyone can refer me to that states when waivers are given? Also, how long is the process for filing for a waiver? I worry about all this when considering the April 15th date of having to be DODMERB qualified for acceptance.

Thanks for your help.

so, i checked out that DODMERB site and found that they sent me a single disqualification letter yesterday. however, currently my status is pending waiver review by USUHS (though i submitted no waiver).

re: conditions they accept waviers for, DODMERB site says that it is basically depedent on USUHS.

i'll keep my fingers crossed.