Medicare billing question

Started by ODhopeful
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ODhopeful

Super OD World Domination
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
I'm new to medicare billing so I have many questions I'd like to ask, so please help. Thank you.

1. I know I have to charge patients 20% copay, then bill the rest to medicare, but is it 20% of my U&C or is it 20% of medicare allowable? I'm in the great state of Texas btw. For example, the medicare participation amount is $71.34 for a 92002, how much should I bill medicare and how much should I collect from patients.

2. Can someone please tell me how much they determine their U&C fee based on the allowable? Using the example above for a 92002, how much should I set my U&C fee? I vaguely remember something about we can't set our price higher than 115% of allowable, so in my case I should set my fee at roughly $82?

3. Also, I don't see a level 3 for 99*** or a 92*** on the fee schedule on the texas medicare website, only level 2 and 4 can be found. What happened to level 1, 3, and 5. I know doctors bill for it.

4. Sorry I know I'm asking a lot of question, just please be patient with me. If I have a NEW patient coming in with a CC of dimming in vision, and I decide it's because of his 3+ NS cataract after dilating the patient, how should I bill this encounter? Should I bill a 92*** or a 99*** and what level. I know I have to collect refraction fee from the patient. What if the patient just needs to be monitored q6months, I'm asking this because I thought to bill one of the codes, I need to initiate treatment, but if it just needs to be monitored, what do I do as far as coding?

Again, I apologize for asking so many questions. Just trying to learn how to bill correctly.
 
A site like ODWire is a better resource for this, but:

If you're a Medicare panel provider, you can charge what ever you want as a U&C fee, but only the allowed amount will be accepted. 80% will get paid to you by MC, the other 20% should crossover to their supplement automatically and the supplement will pay you that (provided deductible are met). No supplement: bill the patient 20% of allowed amount immediately.

Medicare is a discount plan, so set you U&C higher (check your local competitors/OMD's for ideas). All payble codes should be found on your regional carriers site or check CMS's site.

Using 92 or 99 codes (or a mix) is personal preference and every guru will give you a slightly different answer. My advice: use all codes and ducument well.

Lots of billing CE lectures out there. Cross Country University does a nice travelling course for Optom/Opthal. all over the US.
 
I agree. Go to courses that talk about medical billing and learn it. you may have to hire a biller, but you need to know all the rules.