1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Medicare Reimbursements

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by hookaman, Aug 8, 2006.

1. hookaman

hookaman Member
    7+ Year Member

There was a thread in another forum that talked about medicare reimbursements, and how they're increasing for E&M, thus helping less procedurally oriented specialties. How will this affect anesthesiology?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sdn1977

sdn1977 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I have no clue about physician Medicare reimbursements & specifically anesthesia.....but....I did read in today's (Aug 8, 2006) newspaper (however much you can believe that source....) that "Medicare reimbursements are set to drop by nearly 5 percent next year..."

Mark McClellan, an administrator for the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services said the agency sould soon issue new regulations updating reimbursement rates, but did not provide an exact amount.

For whatever that's worth...........

4. Blue Dog

Blue Dog Fides et ratio.
    Physician Gold Donor SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Good question.

Take a look at this table (it's a PDF file...look at the very bottom of the document): http://www.hospitalmedicine.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Advocacy_Policy&Template=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=10204

The projected impact of the proposed Medicare RVU changes on anesthesiolgy is -7% in 2007, and -10% by 2010.

5. GSresident

GSresident PGY4 on July 1, 04
    5+ Year Member

Will give you a 10% rate cut in your malpractice insurance? Will you get to pay 10% less on your taxes by 2010? Are they going to make medical school and college 10% less expensive by 2010? Oh I get it - they are planning on actually deflating the dollar by 10% by 2010. Now it all makes sense.