Medicare

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sneezing

Even Bears do it!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you are a 4th year resident looking to work at a state hospital after residency completion will you need to be registered as a medicare provider? If so do you do this before graduation or after? If after, how does that work if your seeing these patients but the hospital is unable to bill for them?

Same question for private practice. Do you get on the medicare panel before or after graduation?

Clarity would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, the hospital will either do it for you or help you do it.

For private practice . . . good luck. They denied my application because I missed a check box. Literally. I am told by people who apparently managed to check all their boxes and get credentialed with them that they are equally persnickety with payments. You miss a check box on billing, you get denied. Fun, huh?

Oh and to answer your question . . . you do it after graduation because they won't credential you until you've graduated. You need to send in proof of that with your paperwork. But it still takes a long time. Even if you don't miss any checkboxes.