medication information in hospitals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Have you been provided with medication information in hospital like you would In a pack of tablets

• Total voters

smithy5420

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm asking for change in the way hospitals operate I think it's wrong how they don't provide patients with what tablets their taking the benefits the side effects etc.

when I challenged a member of hospital staff about this I was told that I needed to ask for it my reply was well why when you go to a chemist or a general shop the information is provided in every box I then asked her to provide me with the information and I was still not provided with it clearly shows they can't be bothered

I've had already such a bad time with the hospitals due to late diagnosis of cancer had been complaining about pain n lumps for 6 years all I kept getting given was tablets they would never send me anywhere I. E urologist until January 16 and my testicle had to be removed in September it could have been resolved a lot sooner but a report out about leicester hospitals only diagnose 45% of cancers at an early stage which is terrible and just such awful care

this information should be provided just as pharmacist does whether it's wanted or not I'm not saying print it of for every patient but every hospital departments could have so many laminated copies of tablet information then once it's been read if wished can go onto another patient I mean the hospital staff don't even talk about what there providing

I am interested in knowing how many of you that read this have actually been given this information while being in hospital as an outpatient or inpatient because everyone I know that I have asked the answer has been no I haven't been given this

I have opened an online petition to hopefully get this made mandatory for hospitals to provide this information and answer why they haven't Been giving it please sign my online petetion at https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/169885/sponsors/GMD7zGFPe5dWboRStOO

Members don't see this ad.

Important to mention that OP is in the UK, but here in the US, hospital quality metrics include patient education as one of the criteria, although from what I've seen, not much is done in our hospitals either unless they have a few pharmacy interns to handle it.

Wth dude- if you asked they should have just printed off the patient information part of Lexi comp. Easy.

Every RN I work with knows how to print CareNotes from Micromedex

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
Well if you all read it correctly I asked a member of staff to print in off and she still couldn't do that hospitals just can't be bothered

Exactly she couldn't be bothered and nor can many other professionals do what you ask

It's not the first time I have asked a member of hospital staff for information and not been provided with it

We all need to know what their providing as a lot of the medication can cause more issues than its supposed to help with but hospitals and drs don't worry about that

How often do any of hear a Dr suggest exercise/fitness vitamins which can heal a lot more and more natural than there rubbish plenty of evidence online slow sports tha:chi / yoga for example I've never been told it nor has anyone I know all there good at is dishing out drugs not one person I've seen or anyone I know been given an alternative to nhs drugs

DR Who gave up nhs drugs
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07w52tp

Can be done and can be seen what drs do its all about money for them not people's health

I agree, socialized healthcare is garbage and you had a crappy nurse. But what do you want us to do about it? Complain to the hospital...

I don't know what nhs drugs are but believe it or not many drugs and vaccines save lives

It's not just one crappie nurse otherwise I wouldn't be so bothered it's every staff I have ever been to and what I want to change is for the professionals to either talk to patients about the drugs or provide the information as a pharmacist does in every box of tablets
I have complained to hospital and also opened a petition to make it mandatory to provide this information

Yes there are some cases of nhs drugs working but there are many more cases where the drugs can make you worse and they can cause more issues than its meant to treat also fitness, diet and natural vitamins can heal much more research and evidence everywhere for example a 5-2 diet can help with type 2 diabetes magnesium can help apple cider vinegar can help
Take an antioxidant instead of antibiotics they do exactly the same job with little side effects

You're in a system where the nursing staff are considered by international standards to be extraordinarily unprofessional comparatively to the other OECD countries and considered the absolute worst in the Commonwealth (even the Australians manage to do better which is saying something). The NHS Health Trusts have an adversarial relationship with their labor, which is not the case for the US. The way the Trusts are run, what do you all expect out of your staff? People complain about nurses in the US being dumb (especially us pharmacists), but it's a rare occurrence outside unregulated nursing homes where a nurse is considered to be uncaring and get away with it.

Oh, my bad, I didn't realize the internet was full of evidence for natural wonder drugs. Why am I wasting my time in Rx school?

Reactions: 1 user
It's not just one crappie nurse otherwise I wouldn't be so bothered it's every staff I have ever been to and what I want to change is for the professionals to either talk to patients about the drugs or provide the information as a pharmacist does in every box of tablets
I have complained to hospital and also opened a petition to make it mandatory to provide this information

Yes there are some cases of nhs drugs working but there are many more cases where the drugs can make you worse and they can cause more issues than its meant to treat also fitness, diet and natural vitamins can heal much more research and evidence everywhere for example a 5-2 diet can help with type 2 diabetes magnesium can help apple cider vinegar can help
Take an antioxidant instead of antibiotics they do exactly the same job with little side effects
Yup. When hospitalized for a car crash, feel free to exercise and chug vinegar. That's a great plan.
/sarcasm

If you're in a hospital, the people there are trying to get you stable enough to leave. Lifestyle changes are great, but you can't occupy a bed there for as long as it takes you to fix everything by diet and exercise.