Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Medicine in Cuba

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by Neocyto, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Neocyto

Medical Student
    Hello All,
    I will be starting my first year of medical school at NYCOM this upcoming fall.
    Counting on my academic year being quite a challenge, I decided to explore some of my interests for next Summer (08) now. The idea of learning medicine in Cuba is very appealing to me but know very little about the process :confused:.
    Can any of you shed some light on this topic? Even the name of someone I can contact about this would be a help.

cheers!!:thumbup:

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. WaZoBia

WaZoBia Senior Member

Hi Neocyto, try doing a search, i remember a thread on med schools in cuba a year or two ago.

4. Neocyto

Medical Student
    Hi, thanks for the reply.
    I tried searching this several ways but keep finding info about training there, which is not what I am interested in. I would just like to spend the summer there and continue my training here.

5. triniboy

triniboy PGY1

i studied med and graduated in cuba, in a place called camaguey and i know a bit about cuba and the cuban system...
    anything i can do i will be happy to.
    just say what exactly do you have in mind

6. triniboy

triniboy PGY1

i studied med and graduated in cuba, in a place called camaguey and i know a bit about cuba and the cuban system...
    anything i can do i will be happy to.
    just say what exactly do you have in mind

7. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    Just wondering...how are you planning on getting there (presuming you are a US citizen)? Do you belong to any of the groups which are allowed to travel to Cuba and spend money there?

CUBA - *Passport and visa required. For specific requirements, consult the Cuban Interests Section, 2630 16th St., NW, Washington, DC 20009 (202/797-8518). HIV test required for those staying longer than 90 days. Attention: U.S. citizens need a U.S. Treasury Department license in order to engage in any transactions related to travel to and within Cuba (this includes the use of U.S. currency). Before planning any travel to Cuba, U.S. citizens should contact the Licensing Division, Office of Foreign Assets Control, U.S. Department of Treasury, (202/622-2480) or on the Internet at www.treas.gov/ofac

8. f_w

f_w 1K Member

We had a medstudent who went to cuba for some sort of elective. She came back full of the usual propaganda describing the medical system in the workers paradise in the most glowing terms.

A couple of weeks later, she got a friendly visit from the goverment who de-briefed her about everything she had seen and done there. She didn't have much choice but to talk to them as they politely threatened her with prosecution otherwise.

Make sure you have everything lined up. Some non-profits and humanitarian agencies can legally travel to cuba, as an individual it can be difficult.

9. Tired

Tired Fading away

My undergraduate institution (U.S. school) had State Department-approved programs that permitted students to travel to Cuba for various research-related projects. I don't know how common that is, but the OP might check with their school to see if they have anything similar.

10. zenman

zenman Senior Member

http://www.infomed.sld.cu/

Cuban Medical Association - Doctors for Free Cuba
    Colegio Medico Cubana Libre
    P.O. Box 141016
    Coral Gables, FL 33114-1016

Tel: +1 305 446 9902
    FAX: +1 305 445 9310

11. joseppi

joseppi Member

a while back- (when i was premed,) i saw a medstudent presentation about his summer adventure within the hospital system. I had the intention of doing something similar. I remembered the company- MEDICC, they advertised student elective, resident elective etc... the after the current war started the website changed around and they didn't offer those electives or anything. I think things got alot more stringent and you may not want the risk in the political environment. However, you may be able to contact them for more info if you really want to do it. BTW the medstudent present sounded like it was an incredible experience. Socialized system obviously with little resources led to extremely creative medicine.
    http://www.medicc.org/index.php

12. f_w

f_w 1K Member

Whoever goes on such trips, make sure the sponsor has the required State Department license (or a cooperative agreement with a licensed sponsor). The US goverment has a remarkable lack of humor when it comes to travel to Cuba.

13. doctor4dapoor

Triniboy, did you move to Cuba from the States to study med? Can I do that for instance?

14. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    Not if you are American (unless under the new regime the trade embargo is lifted). Besides, there are a lot of other places with better reputations and curriculums geared toward Americans that would serve you well than Cuba.

BTW, when you bump years old threads, do not expect the OP or other posters to respond. They have usually long ago abandoned these threads.

15. f_w

f_w 1K Member

The Florida experience seems to indicate that many cuban trained doctors face challenges when faced with the USMLE exams (or the PA licensing exam for that matter). Another factor not to go to a cuban school if you want to practice in the US is the fact that throughout your career you will need various paperwork filled out by your medical school. Cuban medschools don't seem to be too responsive in that department either.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. imperfection

Pre-Medical
    Yes you can. Have a poke around this site http://www.ifconews.org/MedicalSchool/main.htm it provides a good overview and is who you would want to get in contact with if you choose to apply. I have a bunch of other materials if you want them as I am currently applying.

18. ahamdani

Medical Student
    Hello dear wher you from...???So by the way study here is totaly spanish and 6 year of medicne..one year spanish course for non spanish country

19. dragonfly99

Attending Physician
    That was a very interesting video posted on the Cuban medical school. The two young students are certainly articulate. I thought it was interesting seeing the two propaganda-type posters equating George Bush = to Hitler...LOL! I wonder if the students have permission to be down there going to med school...if not I think they could possibly get into trouble with the US government. I'm not sure whether training at that tyep of school will give them the skills to succeed in residency in the US though...a very different medical system vs. ours.

20. dragonfly99

Attending Physician
    Since the school was started in 1999, I would be interested to know what %age of those students who tried (and are from the US) were able to get into US residencies?