Medicine in Mauritius

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yosemitesam91

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I m currently a senior in high school in USA. i m planning on going to mauritius to study medicine. i m a US citizen. The college is authorized by the USMLE. But i want to know how do i get my residency here in USA and how hard is it to do. Would really appreciate all your help

also i m working as a volunteer EMT in New Jersey

Members don't see this ad.

I m currently a senior in high school in USA. i m planning on going to mauritius to study medicine. i m a US citizen. The college is authorized by the USMLE.

The USMLE, NRMP, ECFMG, ERAS, etc. do not "authorize" medical schools, nor do they accredit them. ANYONE from ANY school listed by FAIMER (ie, eligible for ECFMG certification) is allowed to take the exam.

From the USMLE Bulletin:

2008 USMLE Bulletin - Eligibility

Step 1, Step 2 CK, and Step 2 CS

To be eligible, you must be in one of the following categories at the time of application and on the test day:

a medical student officially enrolled in, or a graduate of, a US or Canadian medical school program leading to the MD degree that is accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME),
a medical student officially enrolled in, or a graduate of, a US medical school leading to the DO degree that is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA), or
a medical student officially enrolled in, or a graduate of, a medical school outside the United States and Canada and eligible for examination by the ECFMG.

But i want to know how do i get my residency here in USA and how hard is it to do. Would really appreciate all your help

There are loads of threads here and elsewhere about residency training in the US. The route is the same regardless if you went to medical school in Mauritius, the UK or Russia. Your school must be listed by FAIMER, you must get an ECFMG certificate and be eligible for a US medical license.

There are no guarantees and by going abroad, especially without even trying to get into a US college and then medical school, you run the risk of never being allowed to practice in the US. Going to medical school abroad is not the FIRST option, it is the LAST RESORT for most people.

Please do a search here on SDN and check out http://www.ecfmg.org for further information about foreign medical schools and coming back to the US.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there,
i have a good friend from Mauritius (not a doctor). She says it's a nice island but not that many educational opportunities. I agree with the above post. You should really rethink doing this. If going to med school right away after high school is what you want, you should check out some US med schools w/early entry programs (i.e. there's one in Florida, Northwestern has a 7 year combined MD/BS program, etc.). I'd go that route before going abroad. The foreign med schools really aren't recognized as being the same as a US school, and most of the residencies prefer someone who went to med school here. Particularly if you are a US citizen or permanent resident, they are going to wonder why you went over to Mauritius to go to school...

actually i did rethink the idea and decided that it is a lot of work and just go the right way and goto to college in USA

thanks for all the help