Medicine or Family Business??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jooorodal

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may be the wrong page for my question, but I am truly feeling confused and split in two. After graduating with a Bachelors in Business I decided (as I had always questioned myself on pursuing medicine or business) that I actually wanted to study medicine and become a D.O. as I worked in banking for some time and realized I detested the corporate world. During this time, I worked part time on and off at my mother's restaurant, and was fond of the business but never imagined I would take it on. I have returned to school and begun the pre-requisites for med school, but I have also come to the realization that I enjoy the restaurant business as I get to know people and their backstories, and I feel I have the ability to grow my mothers business and take it to a higher level. On the other hand, I feel as though I am meant to serve others because serving others makes me feel content, motivated and that I have a purpose. Medicine pairs knowledge, learning, and serving others which I believe will fulfill me, and the restaurant provides an opportunity for me to grow the family business and allow my mom to retire, while supporting me financially right of the bat versus having to go into debt for medical school then repaying loans for 10 plus years and earning a salary versus earning greater profit from the business. I am truly torn as to what I should do and I am looking more for opinions as I know that this is a personal decision I must make on my own.

Members don't see this ad.

You can also help people as a PA, Dentist, Podiatrist, Physical Therapist... How did we land on the DO dream?

Members don't see this ad :)
You can also help people as a PA, Dentist, Podiatrist, Physical Therapist... How did we land on the DO dream?
I believe that the realtionship between the DO and his/her patients will be much deeper than within other fields of medicine with their patients as I have witnessed patients open up very much to doctors I have observed whereas other fields are more of an enter/exit relationship. Furthermore I believe the DO has the ability to have a more lasting impact on the outcome of the patients overall health.

This may be the wrong page for my question, but I am truly feeling confused and split in two. After graduating with a Bachelors in Business I decided (as I had always questioned myself on pursuing medicine or business) that I actually wanted to study medicine and become a D.O. as I worked in banking for some time and realized I detested the corporate world. During this time, I worked part time on and off at my mother's restaurant, and was fond of the business but never imagined I would take it on. I have returned to school and begun the pre-requisites for med school, but I have also come to the realization that I enjoy the restaurant business as I get to know people and their backstories, and I feel I have the ability to grow my mothers business and take it to a higher level. On the other hand, I feel as though I am meant to serve others because serving others makes me feel content, motivated and that I have a purpose. Medicine pairs knowledge, learning, and serving others which I believe will fulfill me, and the restaurant provides an opportunity for me to grow the family business and allow my mom to retire, while supporting me financially right of the bat versus having to go into debt for medical school then repaying loans for 10 plus years and earning a salary versus earning greater profit from the business. I am truly torn as to what I should do and I am looking more for opinions as I know that this is a personal decision I must make on my own.
Family business. Medicine is a calling.

Reactions: 1 users
So mostly primary care? Have you shadowed a DO?

Whatever makes more money and with the least amount of loans.

Reactions: 1 user
If you're that torn I'd work the family business for a couple of years. Don't think about medicine. Make your family business your career and focus on it. Reevaluate in 3-5 years.

Medicine will always be here, assuming your GPA is in the ok range then start doing some ECs, do a postbacc geared towards career changers and you'll have a decent application in less than 2 years. It takes longer than that to have a stable family business.