Staying busy during gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saintman41

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently met with my pre-health advisor, and he suggested I start working (he hinted that paid clinical seems to be more beneficial?) after I take my MCAT this summer. So far, I haven't heard back from scribeamerica. I'll apply to other scribe positions available in my area, but do I have to work in a healthcare setting during my gap year, or is another line of work also fine? The free clinic I'm about to volunteer at will provide me 100+ hours during my gap year, not to mention my MA internship (72 hours; 6 weeks), hours from blood pressure drives, and an additional 50+ from hospice.

Members don't see this ad.

If you can accumulate over 80 hrs shadowing/over 300 clinical hours then you should be good to do another line of work

Reactions: 1 user
If you haven't already, you should check out the National Health Corps Florida AmeriCorps program. You get a living stipend, over 1700 hours of direct service, opportunities to shadow and receive trainings. NHC
I have looked into it. I interview for a scribe job later today so I'll try my luck with that first. I do appreciate the response though!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have looked into it. I interview for a scribe job later today so I'll try my luck with that first. I do appreciate the response though!
The work hours for scribing aren't great if you will be working in an ER, but the ability to see different types of physicians and patient cases is nice.

The work hours for scribing aren't great if you will be working in an ER, but the ability to see different types of physicians and patient cases is nice.
Yeah and I agreed to overnights so I'll see just how the scheduling will be, but scribing is finally my big break as the Dallas area has been strict for the past year in terms of finding clinical experience. Hopefully this will help me complete my application!

Any job that puts you in front of customers will help you! Particularly valuable skills are reading body language, tone and subtext, learning to explain yourself in a way customers will understand, working as part of a team and learning to be in a position where people consider you their inferior, consciously or unconsciously.

I enjoyed working as a pharmacy technician. Gives you a slightly different perspective on medicine and you start learning the drugs which has been an advantage 2nd year thus far.

Personally got very little from my ortho scribing job and working as an MA. Got more from shadowing internal medicine and.

If you’re able to get a technician job, those pay the best out of the “pre med” jobs.